Quick question - Quick answer

Matt said:
It's a Japanese BB only quest. Ever played Toys' Twilight on SCHTServ?

It's that. The reason you won't find anything about "The Robots' Reckoning" on the web is because the quest was never given an official translation, and naturally the SCHTServ translation is the most well-known amongst the community, but the translator for the quest here decided that "Toys' Twilight" didn't really work, and came up with the current name.

"Deep Sea Rendevouz" is also guilty of this -- a more accurate translation for it would be "To the bottom of the deep indigo -MA4 Special Venue-" (not that this fits in PSO), although my favourite would have to be the person who named "荒野の果てに" as "Angels We Have Heard on High" when it actually translates to something like "To the end of the wilderness", lol...
I spoke with a native Japanese speaker and they also confirmed "The Robots' Reckoning" and "Angels We Have Heard on High" are both incorrect. They said context usually matters, but for the first, it's definitely Toys, they weren't so sure about Twilight, but said the meaning comes close. The second one "Angels We Have Heard on High" is absolutely wrong, though, they said there's no way it's that. And that it means something closer to wilderness ending... (This is without even telling them what your translation was.) So, I figure your translation is probably correct with "To The End of the Wilderness".

We discussed the robot quest in another thread and came to the conclusion that the Japanese title sucks, as it doesn't describe what's happening in the quest at all. (They're robots, not toys.)

You could, if you have a team. Unlocks few things. There is a list of what you can unlock somewhere in the forum.

Matt said:
Normal/Hard should drop 1 prize, Very Hard/Ultimate should drop 2 prizes.
Anyone else gettin an asston of lag? only happening on server.
Depends what you mean by lag. I get a lot of lag compared to other servers I've played on (as in, item generation, pickup delays, chat bubble pop-ups), but this doesn't make the game unplayable and it's only because of distance to server. Damage Cancel is also a huge problem from Europe. :(

I've a few spikes but they're few and far between. If you're getting them constantly or extremely heavy delays, it's something on your end.
wait....no dmc?

DMC will always exist, but with the introduction of the extra ships on Ephinea, DMC is greatly reduced if you play with a group in the same general area (eg: EU players on the EU server).

Will this server have the White Day quest? I'm not even sure when is White Day, but that would be a fun quest to have around annually.

Since I'm too lazy to list each boss, most bosses with multiple targets appear to get hit once by all the techniques that you attempt to use, unlike the weapons. Sorry forces. :(

Techniques do hit multiple parts of bosses, but as far as I'm aware only Gizonde is able to do that.

White Day will be around during White Day, which is in March (Japanese holiday, it's the male version of Valentine's).

Is the rare creature rate really nerfed like I was told? If so why are all of us suffering for the actions of one person when that items rate should just be fixed. >.>

Weird, but if it's at default now I guess that's ok...I'm curious what was scht at? Do you know? As it is now it's kinda sadistic. XD

Colette said:
I'm curious what was scht at? Do you know?
I'm not sure how it can be 1/512 here, because the way Schthack implemented it, calculating such a rate was impossible. It's true that the GC rate should be 1/512 offline, but obviously that doesn't apply to BB.

The way we were told it worked was that the server would pick 8 (or was it 16?) rare enemy tags and then randomly distribute them across all the enemies in the game (across every floor). If the tag happened to land on an enemy with a rare form, you'd get a rare enemy. If all the tags landed on enemies with no rare form, you wouldn't get any rare enemies. You could calculate a rough rate by dividing the total number of enemies by the number of tags, but since maps are chosen randomly and each have slightly different monster counts, you can't have an exact rate (not to mention that since all the rare enemies are located in only the first two areas in Episode I and only the first area in Episode II, the chances of getting rare monsters are even lower, since 50 or 75% of the floors that can get tags have a 100% chance of never giving you a rare enemy).

Aleron Ives said:
Colette said:
I'm not sure how it can be 1/512 here
Of course you can't be sure, you don't know how our code works.

The rate here is 1/512 exactly, with the exception of Kondrieu who has a 10% chance.

PSO does have an array of rare monsters you have to fill in during the bursting process, but when we parse map data during a game creation and/or loading of a quest, we do a rare roll only on every monster that can have a rare type. If the roll beats the 1/512 odd, the monster becomes a rare. To dumb it down, say there are 10 Rag Rappies in a map, we roll 10 times (1 for each Rappy as the data is parsed) for the 1/512 roll. If any of those are successful, the mid for that monster is inserted into the rare monster array and becomes an Al Rappy.

Being that the rate is 1/512, we don't come close to filling that array (Which allows for 30 total rare monsters in a game). But, should we overfill the array, the code will stop trying to roll for rare monsters during the map load.

If I set the rate to 1/4, then 25% of the monsters in the game which have rare types would be rare.

So, yes, we can have an exact rate. Thank you very much.

Just because Schthack implemented things in a certain way doesn't mean other people do the same implementation.

Throwing rare tags at random mids that may or may not be a monster type that can have a rare monster is an inefficient implementation, IMHO.

We only do a 1/512 roll when the following monsters are encountered:

Hildebears, Rappies, Lillies, Slimes, Merissas, Pazuzus, Dorphons, and Saint-Millon/Shambertin.

When we see their base in the map data, the roll is done, if successful, their map id is put into the array of rare monsters. It's an easy way to implement a rare rate.

Sodaboy said:
That, and I don't know how PSO synchronises the rarity of monsters between clients. It's easy to do a 1/512 roll when you're offline, but you have to have some way of making sure every client sees the same monsters as rare in an online game. I thought that Schthack implemented his method because the game didn't let you do rolls on individual monsters, but I take it that BB has some new way to let the server control and signal rare enemies that isn't present in previous versions. (Nobody really seems to know how rare monsters are determined and synchronised between clients on Ver.1/2/3, as the client controls it and probably tells other players about it in the mysterious team join packet.)

Yeah, they're all synchronized, don't worry. It's a part of both what the server sends and in the mysterious join packet as well.

This is something I already figured out way back in 2008. Lol. You definitely can roll on individual monsters.

Would you happen to know if the server has the ability to send that information for previous versions? I'm guessing that's a new packet for BB, as rare monsters seem to work on previous versions without any server-side intervention.

Aleron Ives said:
Would you happen to know if the server has the ability to send that information for previous versions? I'm guessing that's a new packet for BB, as rare monsters seem to work on previous versions without any server-side intervention.
I'm not sure, but I imagine something exists either for the party leader or the server in previous versions, because the rare monsters were sync'd online in GameCube. (I don't know who sent the data, though, in that version. Whether it was server or leader.)

In BB the packet is 0xDE. (Not a 0x60 packet, it's just 0xDE).

It's 40 bytes long with the data starting at 0x08. (8 bytes for the header, 32 bytes for the data. Data consists of 16 shorts which are the exact monster IDs you want to be rare. So yeah, I goofed up my first post, you can't have 30 monsters, only 16. :p)

Sodaboy said:
Aleron Ives said:
Colette said:
I'm not sure how it can be 1/512 here

The rate here is 1/512 exactly, with the exception of Kondrieu who has a 10% chance.

PSO does have an array of rare monsters you have to fill in during the bursting process, but when we parse map data during a game creation and/or loading of a quest, we do a rare roll only on every monster that can have a rare type. If the roll beats the 1/512 odd, the monster becomes a rare. To dumb it down, say there are 10 Rag Rappies in a map, we roll 10 times (1 for each Rappy as the data is parsed) for the 1/512 roll. If any of those are successful, the mid for that monster is inserted into the rare monster array and becomes an Al Rappy.

Being that the rate is 1/512, we don't come close to filling that array (Which allows for 30 total rare monsters in a game). But, should we overfill the array, the code will stop trying to roll for rare monsters during the map load.

If I set the rate to 1/4, then 25% of the monsters in the game which have rare types would be rare.

So, yes, we can have an exact rate. Thank you very much.

Just because Schthack implemented things in a certain way doesn't mean other people do the same implementation.

Throwing rare tags at random mids that may or may not be a monster type that can have a rare monster is an inefficient implementation, IMHO.

We only do a 1/512 roll when the following monsters are encountered:

Hildebears, Rappies, Lillies, Slimes, Merissas, Pazuzus, Dorphons, and Saint-Millon/Shambertin.

When we see their base in the map data, the roll is done, if successful, their map id is put into the array of rare monsters. It's an easy way to implement a rare rate.

I actually greatly appreciate you explaining how it works here, gives me a little bit of hope. If it was 1/512 in the sense of how it was done on other servers it'd make finding rare creatures hard beyond any reasonability. Guess I'm just having really really bad luck. :p

falkenjeff said:
1) PSO world tells me to kill the pan arms to do min kill ttf. I can kill the shark instead, right? They both open the boss door, and they are both one enemy.

2) How do I kill the dubchick without getting completely fucking wrecked by the baranz?

The best bet is to follow the guide as PSO might be asking for specific enemies to be dead to satisfy certain conditions. As far as the baranz whats your setup, stats, weapons. If you're soloing there's no easy way for HUmar to handle that situation without a twins blast, and/or a decent charge/demons/hell weapon that can take the dubchich out fast before the baranz spam their missiles. OH and also, if you still get knocked down, just take out the center baranz and stand between them if you cant escape the missiles fast enough, they'll wipe eachother out for you.

Back