Ephinea PSO BB on Steam Deck (Official Thread)

You're right, it wasn't the full log, the Ephinea launcher was open in the background

Initial process has exited (return code: 0)
wine client error:2ac: write: Bad file descriptor
Monitored process exited.
Exit with return code 0

Alright couple of things:

1. You have updates pending in Discover, please update them. Lutris is clearly not the latest version in your screenshot, so you may be missing up to date Flatpak libraries.
2. After you do this, please put DXVK back on.

Make sure you restart Lutris and stuff - you can tell you're on 0.5.13 because the runner options tab will have things separated a bit more nicely (e.g. a Graphics box for things like DXVK).

Now it is telling me Wine is not installed and to go to the WineDependencies.md in the Lutris wiki to find out how to fix that

So now I need to know whether the Steam Deck is Ubuntu, Arch, Solus, Fedora? And I am not sure where to go from here.

Lutris only tells you that if you installed it outside of Flatpak usually, so I don't understand how you're getting these issues.

From all of this it appears you have somehow botched up the installation of Lutris and gotten the regular version or something... ??? Have you done anything else with this system and followed guides that require you to use the command line and stuff?

You don't need to know any of this stuff (for what it's worth, SteamOS is a derivative of Arch) - Flatpak Lutris should be all you need.

I'd restart the Deck and see if that solves the issue, otherwise... good question.

Nope, I haven't done anything unusual to it.

I'll keep messing around with it I guess, but it's truly bizarre. All I did was follow the instructions on the post.

I got it!

The age old solution worked - literally just keep fiddling with it until something gives.

Thanks for the help, I am VERY much looking forward to having this portable.

Last edited:
I uninstalled everything and then reinstalled everything, and then turned it all off and back on, and in Desktop mode I was still getting an error, and so in a fit of frustration I said "I give up for now," switched to Gaming Mode, and then when gaming mode loaded I clicked on PSO because I have self-control problems, thinking it wouldn't work, and yet, it did.

I've updated the Lutris script to set the game's default at D3D8 (since D3D9 would give people shadowing issues, and anyone not reading the guide fully or installing through Lutris directly would not know to change this), and also to rollback the DXVK version to 1.10.3, so people don't have to manually set up their DXVK version. Most people just hit install and hope for the best, so have to change the defaults.

It's not been accepted by Lutris yet, but it'll be a proper one-click install once it is.

The script for the installation was approved 15 hours ago, so installing on the Steam Deck should now be a true one-click install, and I have updated the OP to suit. I also decided to be cheeky and renamed the script slightly so it appears above the other scripts which do... whatever they do.

Note that the script is distro agnostic, so it can be used on any distro; as such I haven't set up recommended options such as resolution size, that is up for users to decide what they want.

1688909225992.png

anyone out there find the magic fix for audio clipping so i can go deaf to spaceship music?

Hey Matt,
First thx for all the work and help for getting this to work, it's amazing to be playing pso on the SD.

I don't know if you can help or comment, but my controls are all mess up for example X is B and B is X for some reason, accessing to the start menu is R1. I'm just looking to have something similar to ngc or dc...

Dont know if someone can comment or help?

Thank you,

You just need to remap the controls in-game, or if you're playing through Steam, edit the controller profile.

PSO BB is an old game so the controls are not going to map to modern controllers as you would expect, you need to manually adjust.

You just need to remap the controls in-game, or if you're playing through Steam, edit the controller profile.

PSO BB is an old game so the controls are not going to map to modern controllers as you would expect, you need to manually adjust.
Can you send me a picture of your mapping please?

thank you,

This isn't very useful - I assume you've played on PC with a controller, so what you need to do is open the controller settings in the Steam menu and change the buttons to where you'd expect them to be, or you get some issues with going back to PC later on if you remap them in game on the Steam Deck.

Screenshot_20230802_213653.png

Couple questions. First, I installed the game as described in the guide on my deck with the latest steam os software. I got an error when launching the game saying something about needing an esync compatible version of wine. I selected run anyway, and checked the don't warn me again box. The game seems to play fine, but I only spent about 5 minutes in it so far. Is this okay?

Secondly, can I delete these ephinea files from my desktop? What are they?

Last edited:
Couple questions. First, I installed the game as described in the guide on my deck with the latest steam os software. I got an error when launching the game saying something about needing an esync compatible version of wine. I selected run anyway, and checked the don't warn me again box. The game seems to play fine, but I only spent about 5 minutes in it so far. Is this okay?

Secondly, can I delete these ephinea files from my desktop? What are they?
Looking at this, you didn't install the game as per the original post, as it seems you have just downloaded the .exe file and ran that - those files are the shortcut files created from the installer if run manually.

Lutris doesn't litter your desktop with these.

Looking at this, you didn't install the game as per the original post, as it seems you have just downloaded the .exe file and ran that - those files are the shortcut files created from the installer if run manually.

Lutris doesn't litter your desktop with these.
Can I uninstall it, and try again?

Can't figure out what I did wrong. I uninstalled, deleted the desktop files, and retried only to get the same result. I left the install directory to the default. Is this wrong?

I've found the issue, it seems that Lutris defaults have changed *again* so it isn't downloading and setting the correct Wine version, and is instead using the system one which comes with the Steam Deck. I'll have to look into making this stay on a certain version myself that won't go away (edit: I've figured this out, just need the script to be updated now, which I'll post about when it happens)

In the mean time, follow these instructions:

1. On the left-side of Lutris under Runners, click this little box

1691232665426.png

2. In the window that comes up, click Install next to the latest version of Lutris-GE-Proton:

1691232711111.png

3. Right-click on PSO BB, then Configure, then Runner Options, then change the wine version to Lutris-GE-Proton:

1691232809379.png

4. Now you can play the game - if you're asked to install Mono or Gecko, make sure to hit Install!

Last edited:
Back