Ephinea PSO BB on Steam Deck (Official Thread)

Hey so I got this to install no problem following this guide, big thanks. But now I'm getting an unusual problem. I can play just fine using the mouse and keyboard setup but any time I try and switch to any sort of gamepad input, it refuses to recognize any input whatsoever. I'm playing in gaming mode and tried doing the holding the start button thing, but it didn't seem to do anything. Never had this problem with any of my other games, so yeah, dunno.
Tried using desktop mode, but it seemed to crash/exit after the Ephinea splash screen.

Is this in-game or on the title screen? Have you played before on the account with a gamepad and your own controls?

Trying to install again. Had to re-image my steam deck a couple weeks ago. :/

Lutris keeps exiting the downloads for the installers. Giving me error 502 I think. Any ideas?

Anyone know if it's possible to use the PSO:BB Tethealla client, that's strictly for offline play, for Steam Deck? I tried using dual boot with Windows, but I couldn't get the resolution set (even turned off antivirus for the error code 5) for the game to open since it was all running off an SD card (I really didn't want it installed on the internal, but it was also an A1 card, so could be needing A2 or maybe it's just not possible for it? idk)

Adding executables to Steam w/ProtonExp allowed me to run the necessary login/patch/ship server files and game launcher, so that's neat. It helped to have a Windows PC to copy over all the data files though for Steam to read the extracted actual game client files. So glad it works for wanting custom rates with strictly offline play on the go. Guess that solves that. (I figured this might help others like me who wanted to be able to play PSO BB offline on their Decks during times without internet.)

Steam deck runs Ephinea online plugin perfectly though, so no problems there!

Last edited:
Okay. It installed, but now I have duplicates? I also have several items on my desktop. Do I need these, or may I delete them?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230924_002359.png
    Screenshot_20230924_002359.png
    105 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20230924_025923.png
    Screenshot_20230924_025923.png
    388.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Anyone know if it's possible to use the PSO:BB Tethealla client, that's strictly for offline play, for Steam Deck? I tried using dual boot with Windows, but I couldn't get the resolution set (even turned off antivirus for the error code 5) for the game to open since it was all running off an SD card (I really didn't want it installed on the internal, but it was also an A1 card, so could be needing A2 or maybe it's just not possible for it? idk)

Adding executables to Steam w/ProtonExp allowed me to run the necessary login/patch/ship server files and game launcher, so that's neat. It helped to have a Windows PC to copy over all the data files though for Steam to read the extracted actual game client files. So glad it works for wanting custom rates with strictly offline play on the go. Guess that solves that. (I figured this might help others like me who wanted to be able to play PSO BB offline on their Decks during times without internet.)

Steam deck runs Ephinea online plugin perfectly though, so no problems there!
Yeah it will work, just point Lutris/Steam at the client executables and you should be good.

For the plugin, you will need to use unzip from the command line, because Ark seems to have issues with d3d8.dll, not sure why. It's the reason I made this script - installing PSO BB was not *too* hard by itself, but then installing the plugins was a huge headache for people to months until I figured out the issue, and this streamlines that process.
Okay. It installed, but now I have duplicates? I also have several items on my desktop. Do I need these, or may I delete them?
Yes, you may delete them, they are just shortcuts.
I saw your original post, would you be able to explain what your issue was and how you fixed it? It would help to know if there's anything I could improve in my steps or Lutris script.

How do I fix the multiple PSO installs in lutris? Is the game really installed four times?

edit: got it sorted finally. had to reinstall everything after removing the bad installs.

Last edited:
Related to running the game on linux in general (asking here because this thread seems more active right now) - I see the FFXI lutris installer script now uses D8VK instead of dgvoodoo. I always used dgvoodoo for PSO, has anybody tried D8VK with it?

Edit: I set up a fresh install with D8VK and compared it to a fresh install with dgvoodoo, just running around Forest Normal. In Direct3D 9 mode for dgvoodoo, and Direct3D 8 mode for D8VK. Performance seems roughly the same (though I'm probably not the best judge compared to someone who has 1000s of hours in the game). I'll probably use D8VK when I play from now on just to see. I've heard it's fixed graphical issues in some other games for some people.

Last edited:
I’m wondering if someone can help me with a weird issue. I followed the steps in the guide and was able to get the game running great without the scrolling textures. I then followed the steps to get voodoo2 installed and endebles the correct libraries but now when the game launches it’s just a black screen. If I disable those 3 libraries again the game will load up fine with no scrolling textures again. Any idea why?

EDIT: After looking over this thread I saw people talking about the DXVK option. I turned on advanced and took a look and it was set to 1.10.1. I changed it to the default 2.3 and now everything works like it’s supposed to.

Last edited:
Hey everyone; first of all, very thankful for the community for making it possible to relive this gem on new hardware (steam deck)

I have installed all steps exactly as stated in the beginning and the game starts normally. But it crashes everytime when i try to create a new character in the character select screen.. :( cant get past this point
Im running the newest ProtonUp-GE version under runner options, and no additional settings activated, nor addons installed

Playing in gaming mode, if thats a notable point, as i cant get my keyboard working in desktop mode to type my registration infos

Edit: got it working; i reinstalled the game and didn't change the runner option this time; now its workin

Last edited:
hi i'm sorta new here. and a newb to lunix. I actually got the game running (though it won't launch in steam deck's game mode), but i ahve everything else working...except I'm having quite a time trying to use the steam deck keyboard to actually chat. is there some sort of trick so it will be recognized. I remmeber usually had an ingame digital keyboard, sucks it cna't be brought up. (edit: oookay now i figured a way out in dektop mode, if i switch to desktop mode, and hitthe Y key (set as space) is activate the prompt in gmae to type, then i type in the keyboard, close hte keyboard, an duse a 9set as enter) to send message, then switch back to contorlle rmode)

Last edited:
Hi, I recently got an OLED Deck to replace my old one which I will be giving to my brother & the installation instructions in the OP are succinct & let me install the game smoothly, only needing to copy over my addons folder & my own controller configurations from the old hardware.

However, I also got the exact moving textures glitch as described by a recent discord post & while not gamebreaking, it was annoying.
After some tinkering around reinstalling a bunch of times, I think this is the best method for fixing the moving textures until the Lutris script is updated.

Immediately after successfully installing the game through Lutris, follow these instructions by rnd on their website: https://devurandom.xyz/blog/psobb_wine, specifically the quoted block detailing how to install dgvoodo:
rnd said:
I tried using different versions of Wine, different settings in Lutris, and more to no avail, until I discovered this thread on the Ephinea forums. It describes a utility called “dgVoodoo” that can rewire an old Direct3D 8/9 program to use the APIs of DirectX 11. Given that, in current versions of Wine, most effort is being spent on DirectX 11, trying it out seemed like a good idea.

The official website mentioned in the forum post isn’t active, but the program is still being actively developed on GitHub.

However, when I first installed it, it resulted in an even worse outcome – the game launched with a permanent black screen instead of the graphics. Luckily enough, it turned out that the solution to that was even simpler: to turn on the “Enable DXVK/VKD3D” option in Lutris' settings for the game. After this, the game ran perfectly, and the previously-missing textures returned.

So, to fix the scrolling textures:

download the latest release of dgVoodoo2 from GitHub.

Extract the libraries from the MS/x86 directory into the game’s executable directory (in Lutris, right-click PSO’s menu item, use the “Browse files” menu item, then open “drive_c” and “EphineaPSO” folders.)

Open winecfg (in Lutris, click the Wine icon at the bottom of the window, then choose “Wine configuration”).

In winecfg, open the “Libraries” tab, type in “d3d8” into the dropdown menu and click “Add”. Then do the same for “d3d9” and “d3dimm”. This will make sure this installation will use dgVoodoo2’s libraries.

In Lutris, open the game configuration window (right-click on the PSO menu item, then choose “Configure”), take a look at the “Runner options” tab and make sure the “Enable DXVK/VKD3D” switch is on.

Run the game. It should display the “dgVoodoo” watermark in the bottom right. To make sure the scrolling textures work, log in, and then transport your character into lobby 11. There should be a bunch of transparent displays showing scrolling unreadable text.

And to get rid of the watermark:

Extract the “dgVoodooCpl.exe” file from the dgVoodoo2 archive somewhere.

In Lutris, run this file inside PSO’s wine prefic (click the Wine icon at the bottom of the window, then choose “Run EXE inside Wine prefix” and select the dgVoodooCpl.exe file.

In the window that opens, open the “DirectX” tab, uncheck the “dgVoodoo Watermark” option and click “OK”.

Run the game. It should still run using dgVoodoo, but without the watermark.

After doing this, follow the steps made by @LDragon2000 just a few posts above mine:

I’m wondering if someone can help me with a weird issue. I followed the steps in the guide and was able to get the game running great without the scrolling textures. I then followed the steps to get voodoo2 installed and endebles the correct libraries but now when the game launches it’s just a black screen. If I disable those 3 libraries again the game will load up fine with no scrolling textures again. Any idea why?

EDIT: After looking over this thread I saw people talking about the DXVK option. I turned on advanced and took a look and it was set to 1.10.1. I changed it to the default 2.3 and now everything works like it’s supposed to.
All bolding mine.

So to summarize, if you're like me & used this thread to install Ephinea on your new shiny OLED Steam Deck but your moving textures are missing:
  • Download the latest version of dgvoodo, extract the /ms/x86/ files into the game folder & configure wine & lutris just like rnd lays out above.
  • When configuring Lutris, in addition to confirming that it is turned on, change the DXVK version to 2.3
  • Run the game with DX11.

Last edited:
Hi there, created an account here to ask for two things;

1. For whatever reason, it's not saving my login credentials on the Steam Deck. I'd prefer to use Game Mode to play. Is there something I can do to fix that?

2. I'd like to have texture filtering and antialiasing, and whatever launcher graphics setting that increases view distance. But, it makes the resolution smaller than the Steam Deck's screen. Is there no work-around for that?

Hi there, created an account here to ask for two things;

1. For whatever reason, it's not saving my login credentials on the Steam Deck. I'd prefer to use Game Mode to play. Is there something I can do to fix that?

2. I'd like to have texture filtering and antialiasing, and whatever launcher graphics setting that increases view distance. But, it makes the resolution smaller than the Steam Deck's screen. Is there no work-around for that?
For the account and password saving.. in the launcher click options -> more-- the checkbox is there.
As for game mode(default)- did you add the launcher to your steam library? I just launch that and have no problems

For the account and password saving.. in the launcher click options -> more-- the checkbox is there.
As for game mode(default)- did you add the launcher to your steam library? I just launch that and have no problems
Sorry, wasn't being clear enough -- the game launches fine, it just doesn't save my ID and password for some reason.

But still, I'm hoping I can change the graphics settings, without the resolution changing with them. I don't touch the resolution itself.

Sorry, wasn't being clear enough -- the game launches fine, it just doesn't save my ID and password for some reason.

But still, I'm hoping I can change the graphics settings, without the resolution changing with them. I don't touch the resolution itself.
Boomhauer was being clear as well. You need to enable the option to save your ID and password from inside of the launcher. If you didn't enable that option, it won't save.

Also, I have not a clue what you're doing as far as resolution changing when adjusting things. Perhaps the OLD "More" section does something after you've set it in the modern launcher. So, just adjust all your view distance and so on in the "More" section, set your resolution in the newer launcher with your desired AA and such and you should be fine.

Boomhauer was being clear as well. You need to enable the option to save your ID and password from inside of the launcher. If you didn't enable that option, it won't save.

Also, I have not a clue what you're doing as far as resolution changing when adjusting things. Perhaps the OLD "More" section does something after you've set it in the modern launcher. So, just adjust all your view distance and so on in the "More" section, set your resolution in the newer launcher with your desired AA and such and you should be fine.
Sorry, I meant **I** wasn't being clear enough.
Either way, I managed to check out the "More" section, and now my password's saved, plus changing some settings there made the game use the entire screen space of the Deck. Thank you very much!

Back