Don't have friends? (Locked, new topic made.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sodaboy

Sodabob
Staff member
Guildcard
Updated 9/11/2015.

The server has a new dynamic drop rate function that functions as so.

In a multiplayer game, for each person who joins the group, your rare item drop rate scales like so:

1P: No boost.
2P: 1% boost.
3P: 3% boost.
4P: 5% boost.

In all games, single player included, the dynamic drop rate can be boosted as well by the party leader's luck bonus like so:

Luck level 0: 0% boost.
Luck level 1: 1% boost.
Luck level 2: 3% boost.
Luck level 3: 5% boost.

The multiplayer and luck boosts do stack, so you can have an extra 10% boost to your drop rate.

We also have the option to use a new PSO2 style drop system in which all drops are not shared. The drops you do see while using this system, only you can see and pick up. You can, however, drop an item you picked up for another player to take.

Beware, though, the new PSO2 style drop system does reduce the overall "drop anything rate", so common items as well as rare items get dropped less often. (Though common items from boxes are not affected.)

The modifier which reduces the drop anything rate when using PSO2 style drops behaves like so:

1P PSO2 style: Items drop at 100% of their normal rate.
2P PSO2 style: Items drop at 70% of their normal rate.
3P PSO2 style: Items drop at 50% of their normal rate.
4P PSO2 style: Items drop at 40% of their normal rate.

This is to offset the fact that you can have multiple common and rare items drop from the same enemy. (This doesn't mean that if an enemy drops a rare for one person, the other three members of the party are guaranteed to have it drop. It just means when the enemy dies, all 4 players roll to have the enemy drop their rare item. All 4 players CAN be successful and each get a rare item, but it's not a guarantee.)

Also, the dynamic drop rate effects rare items from boxes, not just enemy drops.

You do not have to use these systems and they can be turned off during game creation.

You can use the /luck command to check your luck at any time. Also your name color will change depending on your luck.

If you want to know the forecast for luck today, type /forecast.

Re: Don't have friends?

We're going to be implementing something "PSU-style" on here shortly as well...

If anyone played PSU, you know how certain races and genders had certain lucky days. We will also be having lucky days on the server that rotate.

On your lucky day, any parties you lead will have their drop rate bonus increased an additional 5% (even in One Person).

Unless it's your VERY lucky day, in which the drop rate bonus will be increased an additional 10%.

Going to try to write the code for this tonight. We will be taking race, gender and class into effect with our code.

Maximum drop rate you could have for a full party with a quest would be 115%, barring any server events that boost that further.

Another thing I forgot to mention is quests will soon have dynamic drop rate adjustments too. (Per quest)

Servers too small for something like this yet lol, plus there's the fact that not everyone is on at the same time and certain things are already a hard hunt enough for us to want to solo because we dont like Ninjas. You're really looking to kill peoples interest arent you?

I clearly didn't read. Sorry xD

I don't think this is a good idea. PSO has always been a solo farming experience for some items. Sorry, I don't like this at all, but as you said, it might get a bit tweaked in the future. In my opinion, there should not be a penalty for soloing and only a reward for Multiplayer. Making this decade-old game even harder than it already is will definitely scare some people who just want the "old school PSO feeling", like myself, away.

Also, doesn't this deviate quite a lot from the "vanilla" experience?

Eistee said:
I don't think this is a good idea. PSO has always been a solo farming experience for some items. Sorry, I don't like this at all, but as you said, it might get a bit tweaked in the future. In my opinion, there should not be a penalty for soloing and only a reward for Multiplayer. Making this decade-old game even harder than it already is will definitely scare some people who just want the "old school PSO feeling", like myself, away.

Also, doesn't this deviate quite a lot from the "vanilla" experience?

I can understand perfectly his intent with this, it's meant to stimulate a more multiplayer friendly experience which is a sentiment I whole heartedly agree with...but yeah penalties for putting in time to grind to find things you NEED is just silly. Soda pls actively play the game at least before making silly penalties like this. I want to see this server flourish. The psu idea is wonderful but more arbitrary limitations is going to...to put it bluntly scare away a community who doesn't really care about a vanilla experience in the first place.

Maybe you're right. I just think it's kind of lame how most people want to just solo stuff all day. Why even play on a server? Might as well play PSOGC offline.

I didn't really think of ninjas, but it wouldn't have been a hard thing to add in individual drops that only you could see.

However, since it does deviate too much from vanilla, guess I'll scrap the idea, I'll turn off the rate stuff after my morning meeting at work.

I think the solo rooms are only temporary for some people. I'm a good example here: I enjoy playing with people a lot more than playing solo, but hunting God/Battle on Redria just doesn't really make sense in a group since there isn't really a quest filled with Hildelts except for the single player only "Forest of Sorrow", and so I've played solo for the past 15 levels or so. (Yeah, not really lucky right now, Hildelt count is past 1,000 already, sill nothing.)

Don't kill the idea yet, though. A reward for multiplayer games is a fine idea, the penalty for single player isn't. The Lucky Day idea is cool, by the way, but I don't know how that could be handled exactly.

Although you are already planning to scrap the idea, I would just like to say I would be for the idea of bonuses being given for playing with people. For example I would not mind something like below. yes it may not be vanilla as mentioned, but its something that would still encourage team play and not harm the ones who solo. Would be a win win to me. Just my 2 cents.

One person mode, no quest: Drop Rate 100%
One person mode, quest: Drop Rate 100%
Multi mode, no quest: Drop Rate 100%
Multi mode, quest: Drop Rate 100%
Multi mode, quest with 2 players: Drop Rate 102%
Multi mode, quest with 3 players: Drop Rate 104%
Multi mode, quest with 4 players: Drop Rate 106%

Ninja Edit: I think the Lucky / Very Lucky day idea is great.

Lol yuh I agree that people who only lock themselves away in rooms during their entire online session is bogus, but there's better ways to go about this. I think magevideogames has a good idea about how to do it, however since I'm sure you'll (by my guess) point out it might make things a BIT easy. Why not make the player count reflect the rare creature appearance rate a bit instead of the drop rates?

The way I see it is, you can play the hard way and grind it out alone and hope against the RNG gods that a rare creature appears, OR you can be incentivized to play in multiplayer and have a better chance at finding them while playing with friends/randoms. That way everyone wins while keeping the hunting experience intact fully and it doesn't give "unfair advantages" to dropping things easier. I think this is a pretty fair compromise that doesn't jeopardize the vanilla experience we're going for on this server.

So something like

1 person alone in a room: 1/512
2 people: 1/506
3 people: 1/500
4 people: 1/494

or something to that effect.

Hunting items on PSO has always been a solo experience and I don't recommend trying to change that. Unless you change things significantly, it is always better for people to hunt on their own than with others (this nerf would have done nothing -- this was tried on another PSOBB server and it never made people play together more, since even with nerfs it's better for 2 people to hunt the items separately, since 2P doesn't suddenly make 2 of the item drop).

People might be soloing "too much" at the moment, but this is because nobody has anything and people want some character essentials before they start "properly playing" (if you will). PSO in Ultimate isn't very fun without your God/Battle, your Spread Needle or your Chain Sawd, for example, and trying to make people play together to make them hunt isn't going to work, because people have never really played together to hunt, just to play PSO (with the slight chance of possibly getting something, of course!).

magevideogames said:
Although you are already planning to scrap the idea, I would just like to say I would be for the idea of bonuses being given for playing with people. For example I would not mind something like below. yes it may not be vanilla as mentioned, but its something that would still encourage team play and not harm the ones who solo. Would be a win win to me. Just my 2 cents.

I second something along these lines.

magevideogames said:

Was gonna make a similar suggestion, I think the baseline should be 100% as well and it shouldn't go any lower than that, but small increments for partying would be nice.

My suggestion was going to be something more along the lines of:
One person mode/Solo multi mode: 100%
2 players quest: 101%
2 players free roam: 102%
3 players quest: 103%
3 players free roam and 4 players quest: 104%
4 players free roam: 105% (stopping at 105% max like in the original post)

Right now, I'm going to change it to this:

One person mode: Drop Rate 100%
Multi mode: Drop Rate 100%
Multi mode, with 2 players: Drop Rate 102%
Multi mode, with 3 players: Drop Rate 104%
Multi mode, with 4 players: Drop Rate 106%

The new drop rates don't care if there is a quest loaded or not.

Have to restart the ships, though. Will make an announcement that they're going down within 20 minutes.

I still think I will implement the lucky day stuff, regardless, though.

It will just drive the percents up an additional 2% or 4% depending. (Instead of 5% and 10%)

Luck will change at 12am every day, server time.

A party will inherit their leader's luck. Which also means only the drops for the leader's ID will be boosted.

You will be able to tell what kind of luck you have with a command and also the color of your name will slightly change based on your current luck level.

No luck will be white.
A little lucky will have a hint of gold.
Very lucky will be a stronger gold color.

All changes will be slight but will make sure you can tell the difference.

The only reason I dislike this is because of how much it deviates from vanilla. That said...

What the hell is up with everyone spamming solo games? I'm a level 113 HUcast... Sure, I can solo stuff on Episode 1 (as much as I'd love to do PW4 right now, I do zero damage to Ill Gills), but it's tedious and boring and what have you. I ran through a couple of Ult Forests and TTFs with full parties last night and it was a blast!

Come on, guys... Instead of making all these lame solo games to grind for levels or whatever, why don't we all play together? I'm sure we could get more out of it!

edit:
Colette said:
...to put it bluntly scare away a community who doesn't really care about a vanilla experience in the first place.
Please don't speak for everyone.

I don't mind taking days to hunt a specific item for my team, and I don't expect much in return for being a good sport. It's just part of being a team player; throw more dice.

I would say this would be a neat idea if it's possible for everyone to have separate drops.

Guess what I'm trying to say is, reason most solo is because they don't wanna run the risk of hunting something then finally finding it only for some asshole to just ninja it. I think separate drops should happen even if it isn't vanilla. I don't wanna go back to the days of doing pug ttfs and seeing 3 dead hucasts camping at the red ring spot.

EvilMag said:
I would say this would be a neat idea if it's possible for everyone to have separate drops.

We'll look at doing this at the same time.

I know it makes you upset Ryan, maybe other people too, that we've changed stuff from being 100% vanilla... but I do think some of these changes are for the better.

We're never going to stray onto the path of combo unlocking items, adding ridiculous stuff, and so on. But I don't think that this type of change will make most people upset and I know I can't please everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back