Don't have friends? (Locked, new topic made.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Don't have friends?

As far as I'm concerned, any sort of convenience change is for the better. Maybe PSOBB didn't work like that, but while you might have a love for the game as you once played it, just about 98% of people prefer the way games handle things today (in terms of drops and progression and storage and whatnot...).

I don't know many games these days that don't give the players their own loot table in games. While playing solo is sometimes fun (you get full control over everything, which is interesting in itself), I'm pretty sure nobody wants to forcefully lock themselves away to make sure they get an item when it finally drops for them. I would love to be able to hunt my stuff without people having to give up their own hunting time just for one person to get a drop they want in a 4 player game.
Please don't speak for everyone.
Not to be rude but... speak for yourself. I much prefer playing PSO solo most of the time rather than with others, so going around telling people they're playing boring ass solo games isn't going to get people to play with you. Sure, it's a multiplayer game, but nothing says people have to be spending their entire time playing with others.

I can understand your frustration at possibly not being able to play with others sometimes, but that's just the way it is -- people should just do what they want.

I personally wouldn't mind combo unlocking certain weapons. Stuff that Dark weapons should be unlocked. I always felt that it was kinda stupid how 2 of the final bosses drop stuff that are considered "endgame" but Olga flow only really drops something that's pretty much situational weapons.

EvilMag said:
I don't wanna go back to the days of doing pug ttfs and seeing 3 dead hucasts camping at the red ring spot.

Whoa, people like that need new friends or something. I have my share of snagging stories that made me laugh my heart out more than I hoped for overall. I wasn't the sucker in the party having big expectations, but I was the section id mercenary that kept the appearance of cooperation and said nothing about who should get what. Sometimes I troll players by picking up the rare item of choice by taking advantage of my hosting skills, but I drop it as agreed. My recommendation is make new friends that don't get you killed over rare items since I wouldn't do that.

I think that a bonus for multi NON quest runs would be a good idea otherwise it will be 4 ups for TTF spammage and we all know the quests with a zillion Tollaws or w/e so those rares will become a lot less rare. To be honest, better just leave it vanilla style.

As for penalty to solo, that is unfair. Some of us mix slowly into the community and consider the team to join carefully while leveling up one or more toons. Solo hunting via quests is also nice to do to avoid ninja, some hunters take their runs seriously.

When I was in GC pso I was lucky enough to have friends that would mix up the ID's we hunted on and respect players calles on a specific drop. if 2 or more wanted same then we played it competitively but often it would be that one run seabed for an MKB that only one hunter wanted so we let them have that drop always.

It is unlikely I will group much until I am into Ult on at least one toon and I will look for a team to join.

somniloquy said:
As for penalty to solo, that is unfair. Some of us mix slowly into the community and consider the team to join carefully while leveling up one or more toons. Solo hunting via quests is also nice to do to avoid ninja, some hunters take their runs seriously.
Solo penalty was already removed.

Guess I should update the OP.

Having individual drops would be an absolute godsend. i'm also very glad my solo hunting of essentials like arm units, g/battle, and cure units is not nerfed to 90%!

I thought this server was going to be vanilla pso? I like that you are an active gm and trying to make things more exciting and stuff but I came here to play the game EXACTLY how it is. I do not like boosted drops of any kind... I am glad the number is very low but just the idea is really bothering me.

I really love this server and appreciate you being so active. But honestly vanilla pso is vanilla pso. There should be nothing done to it...... Just leave the game as it is.

Sorry for putting multiple comments, But I just really really love the original game and really don't want this server to go down the path of boosting rates that shouldn't be and changing things about the game that they think need to be changed. Even though the all caps rare change was a very small change, I was actually kinda upset that it was changed.... It made the rares feel even more special and it was something that I got used to over the years. All I am trying to say is that vanilla PSO is amazing for so many reasons and some things that you think might be mistakes and need changing could be someone's favorite part of the game, or atleast something they liked. It would be cool if these changes you were doing were optional but This is YOUR server so you can do as you please, but I came here for VANILLA PSO. If the server strays from that I will leave, even though as I've stated before I really like this server. Please don't change this amazing game.

It's worth noting, though, that there is no such thing as vanilla Episode IV, now that Sega is gone. Nobody knows what the original rates were, so every server that supports BB uses non-vanilla rates.

The whole reason people play solo is because they want to obtain their items in order to play their class in Ultimate. So the idea is to get the item hunt out of the way as fast as possible, then play with others. Unfortunately this task takes so long per item in PSO, and there are so many items to get, that you see players persistently in 1 player rooms. Not to mention that you cannot play with others and hunt for your items without the risk of someone taking your drop, and if they want to play a quest that does not have the ideal amount of monster spawns or if its in an entirely different area then you need to choose between playing in a party and gearing up.

Ulevo said:
Not to mention that you cannot play with others and hunt for your items without the risk of someone taking your drop
Well, I finished coding the PSO2 style drops and tested with Tofu, it worked out entirely as I suspected (very good).

Now all drops you see in a multimode game can only be seen and picked up by you. Of course, once you pick up the item, you can drop it or trade it with someone else.

Everyone always complains about ninja looting and so on, but this makes that non-existant. Unfortunately, it also has the side effect of giving a team of people who play together 4x the chance to find a particular rare from a monster. (If they're hunting to support each other.) Trying to figure out how that could be balanced.

PSO2 just stopped trading rare items completely, but we can't have that here.

One question, is this going to apply to other modes (eg: Challenge)? It would be best if it could stay out of that as it would change the dynamic rather strongly in that particular case (and probably BA rules, as well).

No, it explicitly is already disabled in Challenge and Battle.

If I may ask, how do you account for item IDs between clients? This would be a neat feature to have on all versions, but they will freak out if player 1 picks up an item that isn't on the floor for player 2 (since according to player 2, that item doesn't exist, so there's no way player 1 could have it). Does BB have a special packet workaround for this?

MrBlack said:
I thought this server was going to be vanilla pso?
Well, I still don't think we have changed too much.

The Episode 1 & 2 rates haven't been touched at all, though I guess they get affected by the party boost, and I did change the Ultimate mode boss drops to be like that of PSOBBJP.

But, as Ives said, no one knows the true Episode 4 rates... Impossible to grab unless you worked at SEGA and had access to their server files.

You may not believe it, but I don't like to change too much. But, like Matt, I'm actually for quality of life improvements to the server as well.

If we kept everything exactly the same as SEGA did, the game would feel a bit too stale too fast, IMHO.

I would say that majority would agree with PSO2 style drops being implemented, so that anyone can pick up anything they see and not have to worry about sharing it or getting their drop they've been looking for "ninja'd".

My vision for the server is to do whatever it takes to promote people playing together from the beginning. And I think being in a party from the very beginning, getting extra multimode experience and all the drops, would probably help with that too. (As opposed to having to solo until you're "geared out", you can now gear up this way as well.)

I've already removed the word "vanilla" from my topic at viewtopic.php?f=9&t=130

Sorry if you felt deceived by joining and expecting that experience forever. They were my genuine thoughts when I first made that topic, but I've changed my mind.

(Still not stacking grinders and materials, though! Hohohoho!)

And to Ives who just posted before I hit submit, yes, BB has the 0x60 0xBE packet which is used to add to another client's inventory invisibly. That's how clients know when other clients take things out of the bank, or get quest rewards, and so on.

The implementation we did is to only show the drop on the client side, when he picks it up, the 0x60 0xBE packet is sent to all the other clients so that they know he's had a new item added to his inventory.

Honestly Sodaboy, if that helps to actually incentivize teamplay, I see the reward for that far outweighing the con. Just because a 1/10,000 drop has 4 chances to drop does not mean the drop rate has been increased by x4, If that results in seeing more team games online then single player games, then I hardly see the issue. Hard drops are still going to be difficult, and this is a nice way to supplement. In fact, this is how my old team used to do hunts for members, its just nice to see it brought together in a way that promotes that behaviour without having to have an organized guild.

Also, I know this is off topic, but what's the issue with stacking grinders?

Ulevo said:
Also, I know this is off topic, but what's the issue with stacking grinders?
The idea of someone potentially hording 19,800 grinders in their bank (200*99) doesn't sit too well with me.

Being able to upgrade every weapon you get to the max as soon as you get it doesn't sit well with me.

This is probably one thing I'm not going to budge on.

Yeah, you can make other character or accounts, I guess, but you'd never make enough accounts for 19,800 grinders... Unless you were bored.

Same thing goes for stacking materials, being able to pimp out a character to the max as soon as you make it, I'm bothered by that.

I think many people only worry about changing the 'vanilla' experience when people start trying to nerf items. Or adding lolwhatbalance items. Part of the vanilla experience was getting new stuff too, if you want to look at it that way (well if you were on JPBB anyway!)

The PSO2 drop style is cool, but it's also exploitable. And I doubt much can be done about that without bothering people. Very difficult to work out something reasonable with randoms/open games and friends/group hunts. I guess you could make a choice menu when making a game that lets you use vanilla behavior or a PSO2 drop system with balanced scaling rates? I don't think trading will be killed as long as Section IDs matter in game creation though.

lets remove ragol ring death penalty

Mm, well I'll be honest with you, on Schthack that happened anyway, even before Lee made those changes. Like, the change either way won't make any bit of a difference. Players KNOW that even though grinders are super common they're always worth picking up, and players will often make alt accounts to store items if they run out of room in their banks. Same thing with materials. The main reason that it was a nice change on Schthack was because, like Photon Drops, it mean you could pick them up as you were questing without it filling your inventory because there was often very little space left with top end gear. It was a quality of life change. But again, it never stopped anyone from doing what you're describing and using 150 Power Materials on one character right away at level 1. People also pick them up because they sell well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back