Optional Ability to Disable Leveling Up

Zeero

But you can call me Jamie
Guildcard
So I was leveling a fresh new character and I remembered how Kingdom Hearts had that EXP Zero skill that disabled leveling up. Then I thought, "What if you could do a level 1 challenge in this game too?"
So now here I am.

The idea is that if you start a brand new character you can use a command to toggle whether you get experience or not, creating a new sort of challenge run for the game.

Honestly it sounds pretty fun on paper, so why not?

Also sorry if this was already added or someone already suggested this, I just was so excited to get this idea out and didn't bother to check ;-;

Honestly I've always wanted something like this. Though I don't think this would work if it was simply "you're level 1 forever" because eventually you literally cannot damage enemies and they will kill you in a single hit. And this would happen in Normal Mode.

So this brings me to the two ideas I've had:

• Level 1 forever, but you have God of Equip enabled. Likely disable trading or something, too, and maybe have Demons-type weapons have a reduced effect. Pick your class for their starting stats and innate abilities (traps, tech accessibility and boosts), use materials to increase those stats (HP in particular). Though even this would hit a point where it cannot go on, it should at least be fun for a while - and I don't doubt people will push this further than I expect. Could do this as an event or even a permanent thing - people who hit certain milestones doing this can get some sort of reward.
  • Similar to the above idea but one I've experimented with in the past: you can equip everything, use any spell and maybe traps too, but you have to have the stats or the level. On top of that, your starting stats would be reduced by a percentage based on the stat and your chosen class (alternatively this can be somewhat treated as a new class with a low but evenly-balanced stat distribution - the character you pick is basically just a skin). This actually ends up being fairly interesting once it gets going - I did a very rough draft run of it on PSOX offline as a FOmar and I saw some potential in the premise. Just, might need more tweaking.

Well, it's not a bad idea, even with the fact that you'd be able to use mats and units (using a Frame with 4 slots) to pump up a character's stats. Only real concern would be that locking yourself at level 1 means that you'll be permanently stuck on Normal difficulty. Probably for the best though, since Dark Falz 3 on Ultimate will be able to one-shot level 1s that don't have a HUGE stockpile of Scape Dolls.

Well, it's not a bad idea, even with the fact that you'd be able to use mats and units (using a Frame with 4 slots) to pump up a character's stats. Only real concern would be that locking yourself at level 1 means that you'll be permanently stuck on Normal difficulty. Probably for the best though, since Dark Falz 3 on Ultimate will be able to one-shot level 1s that don't have a HUGE stockpile of Scape Dolls.
The idea of doing a level 1 ultimate run would be fun.

I mean this would be ok if players had the skills to remain at low levels and perform equal to or greater than higher levels but its not the case, especially as of late. Pso skill on this server has regressed lately, players deciding not to level up for whatever reason will be one more nail in the coffin. Blacklist galore for me unless I know that player to be very legit.- just being honest with you.
The idea of doing a level 1 ultimate run would be fun.
You have much to learn my friend.

if you want a fun challenge today!

-create a hardcore character
-do free field forest-falz, then ep2 VR-seabed, etc etc. you cannot repeat an area to grind.
-play until you die!

nifty idea tho

I like the idea of an EXP toggle rather than a new mode or "perma" level 1 feature. Seems like it could be easy to implement, although I know nothing about the game's code so maybe not.

This is like the idea of "twinking" in other games, where you try to find the best possible low level gear. It makes a lot of the lower tier gear more relevant and adds new challenges.

Could even open the door for challenges similar to Time Attack where players are required to be level X or below and then have to complete X quest or area without dying, or as fast as possible, etc.

I mean this would be ok if players had the skills to remain at low levels and perform equal to or greater than higher levels but its not the case, especially as of late. Pso skill on this server has regressed lately, players deciding not to level up for whatever reason will be one more nail in the coffin. Blacklist galore for me unless I know that player to be very legit.- just being honest with you.
You have much to learn my friend.
Don't post elitist trash like this unless you want your ability to post on the forums revoked.

We don't need condescending assholes like you around, so cut it out. Consider this a warning. It's not too hard to say "no, I wouldn't want level 1s running around Ultimate".

Don't post elitist trash like this unless you want your ability to post on the forums revoked.

We don't need condescending assholes like you around, so cut it out. Consider this a warning. It's not too hard to say "no, I wouldn't want level 1s running around Ultimate".
I think Venom could have phrased it a little more delicately, but it's definitely a lot more difficult finding groups for medium-hard quests than it used to be! You should log on sometime and try playing some public episode 2 games or something.

I don't think this change would cause problems though. Level really doesn't have that much of an impact on how much of a PROFESSIONALPSOPLAYER you are or whatever

Well the best way to increase the player base "skill" is to help them learn the content, not to blacklist them from all games.

I certainly appreciated everyone's patience when I was running the PW series HBR, for example, and struggling through them the first few times. By the end of the month I was confident in them and contributing a lot of value to the runs.

If I was shunned or blacklisted from all of them instead I would never learn and my "skill" would never increase.

If you don't want to help less experienced players then don't play pub games, I suppose. But just know you're contributing to the problem by not doing so. The community is small enough that helping a few players learn here and there goes a long way.

Anyway, this discussion is off-topic.

I like the EXP toggle idea - I'm not sure the community is broad enough to have a "twink" niche area, but it at least opens the door for it.

Well the best way to increase the player base "skill" is to help them learn the content, not to blacklist them from all games.

I certainly appreciated everyone's patience when I was running the PW series HBR, for example, and struggling through them the first few times. By the end of the month I was confident in them and contributing a lot of value to the runs.

If I was shunned or blacklisted from all of them instead I would never learn and my "skill" would never increase.

If you don't want to help less experienced players then don't play pub games, I suppose. But just know you're contributing to the problem by not doing so. The community is small enough that helping a few players learn here and there goes a long way.
I feel it’s sometimes more polite to blacklist. I will give suggestions too but there is a risk of people not wanting criticism on a video game- understandably. Can lead to some fighting. I blacklist occasionally if I feel our playstyles are not compatible. Not just for my own benefit; I’m sure they would rather not play with me either.

I feel it’s sometimes more polite to blacklist. I will give suggestions too but there is a risk of people not wanting criticism on a video game- understandably. Can lead to some fighting. I blacklist occasionally if I feel our playstyles are not compatible. Not just for my own benefit; I’m sure they would rather not play with me either.

I can also attest to the part where I have been yelled at and called very mean names for trying to help. #feelsbadman

Alright team let's back things up a bit before an actual fight breaks out.
  • Level 1 forever, but you have God of Equip enabled. Likely disable trading or something, too, and maybe have Demons-type weapons have a reduced effect. Pick your class for their starting stats and innate abilities (traps, tech accessibility and boosts), use materials to increase those stats (HP in particular). Though even this would hit a point where it cannot go on, it should at least be fun for a while - and I don't doubt people will push this further than I expect. Could do this as an event or even a permanent thing - people who hit certain milestones doing this can get some sort of reward.
  • Similar to the above idea but one I've experimented with in the past: you can equip everything, use any spell and maybe traps too, but you have to have the stats or the level. On top of that, your starting stats would be reduced by a percentage based on the stat and your chosen class (alternatively this can be somewhat treated as a new class with a low but evenly-balanced stat distribution - the character you pick is basically just a skin). This actually ends up being fairly interesting once it gets going - I did a very rough draft run of it on PSOX offline as a FOmar and I saw some potential in the premise. Just, might need more tweaking.
I think you might be onto something with these two ideas of yours.

Honestly, a Level 1 matted out HUcast running around in Ultimate DFing the world would actually impress me, I would think "damn, this guy is good". We might get some witch hunts like when my low level characters were destroying Fiasco though 8)

Honestly, a Level 1 matted out HUcast running around in Ultimate DFing the world would actually impress me, I would think "damn, this guy is good". We might get some witch hunts like when my low level characters were destroying Fiasco though 8)
Ironically I believe it’s not possible on Huct, but humar instead.
As if your ego wasn’t big enough already :lenny:

sorry not everyone is MLG PSO BB

...it's definitely a lot more difficult finding groups for medium-hard quests than it used to be! You should log on sometime and try playing some public episode 2 games or something.

So much this. Open parties are getting towards the point of unbearable. I guess that makes me an elitist. Thank god for solo mode quests being unlocked.

Back