Optional Ability to Disable Leveling Up

this is when you try to start a grassroots movement to make everyone better at pso instead of bitching about how some people are bad

this is when you try to start a grassroots movement to make everyone better at pso instead of bitching about how some people are bad
I'm working on something like this actually uwu

Until people complain that they are being told how to play the game, then you get labeled as an "elitist" and warned with a ban.

it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation honestly but either side being a bunch of wankers about it isn't going to solve anything

True, but it doesn't help that almost every time I've tried to help someone get better at a game, they either eventually gave up and left (only a few friends that were truly dedicated kept it together long enough to see improvements), or they never truly wanted the kind of help I provided (you know, the people that cry for "help" so long as that "help" involves dragging them all the way to endgame without them having to do anything). For the record, I NEVER perform carry runs OR give free handouts, even if I'm capable of doing so (I only give free stuff to friends I know and regularly team up with*, and only when I'm feeling generous**. Everything I give to people that aren't friends or on good terms with me always require something of equal value in exchange). I believe in people carrying the weight they're capable of handling and building their own progress, without me having to drag them through hell and back, while taking the full blunt of that torture, just to get them to that point.

Honestly, the people that I've tried to help that refused the help I gave because they were expecting me to carry them heavily outnumber the people that either gave up partway or were actually thankful for my help. It's pretty much made me give up on actually helping people since more and more people I see in MMOs are adopting the whole "Carry me!" mindset.

* Or my brother if he and I play the same game.

** Or, again, if my brother needs something I can't use that he can use (such as a mid/high-tier common rifle with Hell special that I got on my HUcast during Seasons. HUcast can't use rifles, but RAmarl can), since I know whether or not he's actually trying.

True, but it doesn't help that almost every time I've tried to help someone get better at a game, they either eventually gave up and left (only a few friends that were truly dedicated kept it together long enough to see improvements), or they never truly wanted the kind of help I provided (you know, the people that cry for "help" so long as that "help" involves dragging them all the way to endgame without them having to do anything). For the record, I NEVER perform carry runs OR give free handouts, even if I'm capable of doing so (I only give free stuff to friends I know and regularly team up with*, and only when I'm feeling generous**. Everything I give to people that aren't friends or on good terms with me always require something of equal value in exchange). I believe in people carrying the weight they're capable of handling and building their own progress, without me having to drag them through hell and back, while taking the full blunt of that torture, just to get them to that point.

Honestly, the people that I've tried to help that refused the help I gave because they were expecting me to carry them heavily outnumber the people that either gave up partway or were actually thankful for my help. It's pretty much made me give up on actually helping people since more and more people I see in MMOs are adopting the whole "Carry me!" mindset.

* Or my brother if he and I play the same game.

** Or, again, if my brother needs something I can't use that he can use (such as a mid/high-tier common rifle with Hell special that I got on my HUcast during Seasons. HUcast can't use rifles, but RAmarl can), since I know whether or not he's actually trying.
People shouldn't be of the mindset where they expect help from other people. Just do your own thing, and if someone comes along and helps, then that's awesome. At the same time when you help someone, you shouldn't expect anything back in return. That just sets yourself up for disappointment. You can apply that lesson to almost everywhere in life.

Hey remember when this was actually about a suggestion? Let's go back to that.
I'm not saying you should just stop talking about the situation, but rather this isn't really the place for it and would rather this thread stay on topic. If you want to you guys can make a thread about it instead.

idk, i think it's going to need to be discussed now sooner than later, yo

tbh i only want carries through ttf until i get back into the groove of things and get to a decent level where i can be more self-sufficient again

i wanted to note that if this did happen, they would have to put some kind of restriction on PB building. a single DF shot from that humar would get him to 100PB every time. would be broken in a party of 4 of them due to PB combos and never running out of shifta level 81 or 100PB invuln triggers (Gael Giel). or even TJS memes. this would be insane

I think exploitative nature of people using Purist Mode during this event to max out 25k kills on as many characters as possible in lower difficulties combined with the other issues (such as PB building) demonstrates that disabling leveling up is not a viable mechanic in this game.

Side note: Before you call Purist kill-maxing part of the "meta," know this: The intent of the Purist Mode was to forego of some of the Vanilla+ features that some don't want. It was NOT intended to be enabled for the purpose of increasing event rewards and re-disabled. This is in a completely different ballpark than say, using the SNS glitch on Diskas. If I were an Admin, I would consider the blatant misuse of this GENEROUSLY ADDED mechanic to be borderline cheating and take appropriate actions against those who exploited it. Ie. Forfeiting all Spheres and a week long ban. (Nothing permanent as it's not explicitly stated that you can't do this in the rules, but you know damn well that people know better.)

Last edited:
^ it takes something like 12-15 hours to reach the 25k killgate on a purist fonewm, forgoing experience, ultimate drops, and also subjecting yourself to the mind numbing torture of running low difficulties by yourself. It's definitely a profitable approach to the event but the suggestion that it is explicitly cheating and that someone should be punished with a week's ban ON TOP of rolling back all that playtime is, imo, extremely off the mark

FWIW i have no purist twinks. but having got 3.5 chars to 25K in normal play it doesnt bother me at all if those who do get whatever is behind that kill gate.

:)

I didn't say blatant cheating. I said borderline cheating. I would be okay with just forfeiting their Spheres and no ban. :p

I understand they're missing out on EXP, Ultimate Drops, and that it's boring, but you and I (and they) know that it's inherently obvious that Purist Mode was not made for this reason. It's wrong to do something that you know is exploitative "just because you can."

Idea for next year: Lower the final goal to about 4 Million and make it so that only Ultimate Mode kills count for both server and player totals. Allow for bonuses to occur in lower difficulties so that newer players get something (plus badges), but the only way to move the needle forward is to kill on Ult. Problem solved.

I think exploitative nature of people using Purist Mode during this event to max out 25k kills on as many characters as possible in lower difficulties combined with the other issues (such as PB building) demonstrates that disabling leveling up is not a viable mechanic in this game.

Side note: Before you call Purist kill-maxing part of the "meta," know this: The intent of the Purist Mode was to forego of some of the Vanilla+ features that some don't want. It was NOT intended to be enabled for the purpose of increasing event rewards and re-disabled. This is in a completely different ballpark than say, using the SNS glitch on Diskas. If I were an Admin, I would consider the blatant misuse of this GENEROUSLY ADDED mechanic to be borderline cheating and take appropriate actions against those who exploited it. Ie. Forfeiting all Spheres and a week long ban. (Nothing permanent as it's not explicitly stated that you can't do this in the rules, but you know damn well that people know better.)

No offense but you being upset about people earning easy kills by not getting event EXP boosts is irrelevant to this thread.

Someone forgoing the ability to level up entirely on their character would mean it'd be a massive pain in the ass to gear up enough to even handle all of Normal with any degree of speed. You wouldn't have to worry about them cheesing events unless they manage to gear up... and if they managed to do so, they likely earned the ability to cheese events.

Plus I mean, whatever, people managed to find a smart way to get a lot of kills. I didn't really have a lot of time to play during the event so there's no way I'm even getting 15k on one character, and I'm still not salty about people figuring that out. It's just an event, and it isn't hard work to farm the kills - just takes time.

I had honestly considered working out some way to farm kills quick in case the final reward was something amazing I really want (it likely will be...) but I felt it was better to get my HC RAcast geared and leveled. This event has helped me out a fair bit in that regard, since I now have a V501, a Spread Needle, and got enough PDs to secure a few solid items.

Back