Ephinea PSO BB on Steam Deck (Official Thread)

I’m having an issue where if my character is idle for about a minute or more, i will disconnect from the server. I have gone to developer mode and turned off wifi power saving, and that fixed my initial issue of random disconnection but now this whole idle disconnect thing is happening. I have no idea if there is anything I can do about this but any help would be greatly appreciated.

From what I understand, this issue is not Steam Deck specific but rather an issue with your modem/router; I believe @Ender knows more about this, however I think the solution is "get a better router", but I've never had this issue so don't know the specifics.

Thanks, I’m hoping thats not the solution as the router I have was pretty expensive: Netgear Nighthawk ac3200. I got it a couple years ago when I upgraded to comcast’s “gig speed”.
I realized the wifi power management setting on steam deck says it “may increase connection reliability on 5ghz networks”. I have been playing on my 2.4 connection because I assumed that would be the most stable but that wording makes me want to just switch back to the 5ghz connection and see how it goes.

Anyways, I just tried that out and its not the solution, still disconnected after a couple mins of idle time. I understand that just because my router was expensive it doesnt make it the best but Im wondering if there is a setting i can change somewhere on the router or my deck? Thank you for any ideas, my solution for now is to never go idle haha

It's going to be hard to troubleshoot with such little information, do the following:

1. Open PSO BB in Desktop Mode in Lutris - does it launch? If yes, it is an issue with Steam, make sure there's nothing like forced compatibility mode checks or so. It may be worth removing the game from Steam and then re-adding it.
2. If no, right click PSO BB, click show logs, and post the output here, it should give us information as to why it won't load.

Sorry, I’m unfamiliar with what “Lutris” is.

That said, I wound up restarting the steam deck again (after trying it several times already), and for some reason that last try seemed to do the trick.

Sorry that probably isn’t helpful!

I recently installed the game via Lutris and noticed it has the addon panel in the top left with default installation. I tried installing mods on the deck and they don't seem to be picking up. Is this just user error or are they not capable of being ran?

User error, I would have to see your EphineaPSO folder and addons folder to advise what you're doing wrong.

Is it expected behavior to only get 30 fps?
I triple checked both launcher and steam deck settings and it just doesn't go over 30.

I had previously installed PSOBB manually using lutris, and it took a lot of troubleshooting to get it to work with addons. Unfortunately I'm not able to recreate that install now, but it did run at 60 fps in dx8 Mode and had working Addons.

Is it expected behavior to only get 30 fps?
I triple checked both launcher and steam deck settings and it just doesn't go over 30.

I had previously installed PSOBB manually using lutris, and it took a lot of troubleshooting to get it to work with addons. Unfortunately I'm not able to recreate that install now, but it did run at 60 fps in dx8 Mode and had working Addons.
PSO has only ever ran at 30fps and that's by design.

Hi,

I just followed your instructions to install the game through Lutris. The launcher opens. Changed resolution, directx en windowed mode.
Then when I click start game, the game opens but closes immediatly.

I've already uninstalled en reinstalled everything, but I stumble upon the same issue. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Changing 3d to Vulkan seems to fix my problem.

Last edited:
I'm having an issue where I cant change the steam controller, i've tried applying different templates. It won't even let me apply them. When i select it, it shows the title of the new template for a split second, then it switches back to whatever default template I have. Any Ideas?

Last edited:
Hi i followed your instructions and am encountering missing textures in the photo attachments. Makes me think if theres missing textures in the characters, what other textures are missing throughout the game? What are your thoughts on this matter? Thank you for taking the time to look at this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230401_213816_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230401_213816_Gallery.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20230401_213711_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230401_213711_Gallery.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
Change your Direct3D API - you'll want to use Direct3D 8, 11 or Vulkan.

That being said, a lot of things are "missing" in PSO BB as well, so it's possible this would be an issue on any system.
I'm having an issue where I cant change the steam controller, i've tried applying different templates. It won't even let me apply them. When i select it, it shows the title of the new template for a split second, then it switches back to whatever default template I have. Any Ideas?
I can't really help with this one, it sounds like an issue with the Steam client which is out of my control.

That being said, a lot of things are "missing" in PSO BB as well, so it's possible this would be an issue on any system.

I can't really help with this one, it sounds like an issue with the Steam client which is out of my control.
Ya i tried changing to multiple different apis. And its not just this private server that doing these missing textures. I play on ephinea and ultima and both are giving me same missing textures. So theres nothing i can do to fix?

Hey matt does yours have missing textures for the fonewm character too? I want to know if its just my steam deck that does it or all steam decks.

Just a heads up, I couldn't get the game launching by following any instructions or troubleshooting steps in this thread. In case somebody has the same issue I had (Launcher works, but game client closes immediately), here's what fixed it on my Steam Deck:

• Grab the latest lutris-GE-Proton and set that as the wine version (lutris-GE-Proton7-37-x86_64 is working for me as of this writing)
  • In runner options, enable the "Windowed (virtual desktop)" option
    • Type 1280x800 into the "Virtual desktop resolution" box
  • Launch the Ephinea launcher and go to options
  • Make sure your game is set to Vulkan, 1280x800, Fullscreen
  • Launch the game
You'll get an ugly Windows98-looking background when you first bring up the launcher, but the game launches in full-screen and controls should work fine, even in gaming mode.

Back