Who would want Ephinea to use an AI upscale on all the textures?

Upscale PSOBB

• Yes

• Aw Yes

• Hell Yes

• Fuck Yes

• No means yes

Results are only viewable after voting.

Suterusu

As some of you may know people have found ways of upgrading the textures of classic games by using AI to upscale it which keeps the exact style and aesthetic while increasing the quality level.
D00M, Deus Ex, Final Fantasy, and Resident Evil are notable examples.

Would such a thing interest any of you?

While were on the subject of enhancements I've always wondered if it is possible to increase the text chat character limit in game or to increase the size of team flag icons.

I don't have the know how to understand the difficulty of implementing these things into PSOBB/Tethealla. If anyone does then by all means chime in.

P.S. anyone else miss the UPPERCASE rares and the old font? I do know of a font that is a close approximation called "anonymous pro".

Last edited:
The speech bubble limit is not arbitrary. Speech bubbles with more than 2 lines quickly fill the screen and prevent you from seeing anything when multiple people talk. Some people use Dotum to approximate the DC/GC font.

The speech bubble limit is not arbitrary. Speech bubbles with more than 2 lines quickly fill the screen and prevent you from seeing anything when multiple people talk. Some people use Dotum to approximate the DC/GC font.
As far as I remember Dotum doesn't have the characteristic / through the 0. Anonymous Pro does.

I can see why there's a limit but at the same time the limit seems so low, would there be drastic consequences to having a few more characters? Perhaps the limit could be increased only while in parties since you're limited to 4 people idk.

Thanks for chiming in.

You could just go ahead and make the Gamecube font for PC . . . we'd all love you for it

The speech bubble size can be increased but even three can be pretty hefty in size. The big bubble cheat was pretty much entirely used to be annoying back in the day.

Anyway AI Upscaling isn't a magic bullet yet. The issue is more pronounced when you're trying to upscale images prior to the wide-scale adoption of 640x480. The game would probably look marginally better at 1.5x or 2x the size of existing textures but things look muddy or have artifacts (usually both) when you try to make a 256x256 any bigger. If you focus on the scenery, you're going to see some slight issues even with a 1.5x increase.

Titles like REmake actually redid the textures for the engine they are on (or when it came to Gamecube anyway.) Projects where upscaling was used - like RE4HD port - don't look better, just different.

I guess things would change if you actually took a human hand to clean up afterwards, but ain't nobody got time for that. Or figuring out how to put bigger textures into PSO (i think that was still an issue? file size as well as resolution)

TLDR Just bring the water and telepipe shaders from Gamecube PLZ

Or figuring out how to put bigger textures into PSO (i think that was still an issue? file size as well as resolution)
Putting high resolution textures into the client tends to make BB crash. It also tends to look ugly, because Sega flips floor textures to make the floor look more irregular. With higher teture detail, the seams between mirrored textures become much more obvious.

man I would like to see this game with better graphics...as it is now, it barely makes the fans spin on my dual 1080ti's lol

About upgrading textures/upscaling, if you are interested here's some references from the tools forums:
https://www.pioneer2.net/community/threads/ai-upscaling-thread.13379/
https://www.pioneer2.net/community/threads/looking-for-a-bulk-texture-extraction-tool.14725/
https://www.pioneer2.net/community/threads/echelons-skins-modifications.4357/page-5#post-135325
Tho we far off a total upscaling of the whole game, as of now there are no way to implement textures in batch and most of the time we still have to manually edit the textures anyway so it can take forever. Results can vary from pretty good to very bad.

Back