Negating Player Healing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Guildcard
One thing's that been a problem is the centralisation of the weapon "Dark Flow", specifically how it requires a party to change what they're doing to fully get use out of it.

Problem with this is, many players want to use their piece of weaponry all the time (they've earned it, they should really be able to), however many players dislike players in their games trying to use Dark Flow because it means they're unable to play how they want (which everyone should really be able to, this is not a "skill" game, it's a grinding game).

Because of many people becoming antagonistic and getting into scuffles over this situation (note that no "side" is wrong here), we're proposing the addition of a new unit:

Negate/Heal (tentative name)

Chances are it'll be obtained from combining two units like HP/Revival and Cure/Poison or something.

While most likely obvious, this unit would block the healing effects of both Resta and Star Atomizers from other players, allowing players with Dark Flow to use their toy uninterrupted, and allowing players who prefer to play a support role to also be able to do so alongside Dark Flow users.

A command was proposed at one point, but we feel there should be some sort of downside to being able to Flow without interrupts, and a unit slot seems like a relatively small price to pay. The meta would also not change, as efficiency games do not use Star Atomizers or Resta at all anyway, the idea of this unit is to make public games more enjoyable for all players, regardless of how they like to play.

tl;dr: Would you guys like to see an extra unit implemented that blocks player healing? Why or why not?

Please be civil and respectful in any discsusion.

Disclaimer: The addition of this item doesn't mean we're going to unlock Dark Flow or add Rainbows or buff merges. We'd have done that a long time ago if that was in the scope of this server's goals, so don't mention it.

anyone who actually uses df competently isn't playing with randoms. it's irrelevant if the unit is introduced or not, but it is a cool idea.

a unit to negate dmc from randoms would be better, but of course this isn't a possibility ;)

Last edited:
I was initially opposed to this as I felt that its easy enough not to heal dark flow users (yet it is very common).
However healing dark flow users is irritating for the user, and perhaps some players become irritated when they can't heal themselves or others (although this was never the case for me).
This would get rid of a lot of conflict. I support this change for many reasons, especially as people who were initially opposed to DF and heal zerkers anyway can witness its usefulness. I have been in many arguments over defending DF usage, even though I don't play HU that often.
I have also been using dark flow in public games, and then I get healed. 9/10 times the player knows that resta will negate me from using dark flow, yet choose to continue (most likely out of spite). This has continued even when I ask not to be healed. Perhaps they think danger is imminent but that is the HU's responsibility, not theirs. I think that everyone should be able to play the way they like without another player spoiling it for them (works both ways).
Also I have seen some HU use berserk and have no intention of using dark flow (perhaps they don't even have one) and expect resta, and this can be confusing for other players. This would negate that issue.

Last edited:
I don't know how I feel about this. I'm a FO, and a lot of the time I don't even realize players are using DF. Halfway through the game, they say "hey, don't heal me." I feel like an idiot, lol. I feel like more people should just mention it at the beginning of the game. Or maybe I'm the only one who straight up just doesn't notice, lol.

But my worry is that it would be way too easy to use without healing. Wasn't the original part of the challenge of DF to see how long you can use it at low HP before you die/somebody heals you? I always thought that was kind of a fair drawback of the weapon. Then again, I'm not exactly sure how op it would be, seeing as I don't use the weapon.

Nah, the challenge of DF is how long you can use it before you die (since you're stuck at 10% HP), I honestly don't think the interference of other player's heals was even considered, and honestly another playing being able to negatively affect a player directly is not good, IMO.

remember guys, it's not a skill game, even when it has quests that less than 15 ppl have cleared in the history of the game.

fwiw even the benchmark that said quest establishes is low but what does that speak to?

Last edited:
but we feel there should be some sort of downside to being able to Flow without interrupts, and a unit slot seems like a relatively small price to pay.

It should be noted that a unit slot is "worth more" on some classes than others.

HUcast really doesn't care about giving up a unit slot. He probably wasn't using it anyway (HUcaseal also probably fits into this category). HUmar might have been using it (v801 and/or adepts for spirit), but it's a minimal issue for him too.

HUnewearl, however, can't max all stats even with all unit slots and a retarded mat plan.

So I'm not sure how I feel about unit slot vs command lol. We seem to have a lot of HUnewearls despite how shitty they are.

So I'm not sure how I feel about unit slot vs command lol. We seem to have a lot of HUnewearls despite how shitty they are.

For me it'd be another unit to cycle out depending on the situation like with v801/v502. My personal plan is minmaxed to barely inch in max stats in the important fields while maxing mind as much as possible, and having 1 free unit. HUmar is much more malleable.

That said, i wouldn't be using DF on a hunl in the first place unless I had 85hit+

It should be noted that a unit slot is "worth more" on some classes than others.

HUcast really doesn't care about giving up a unit slot. He probably wasn't using it anyway (HUcaseal also probably fits into this category). HUmar might have been using it (v801 and/or adepts for spirit), but it's a minimal issue for him too.

HUnewearl, however, can't max all stats even with all unit slots and a retarded mat plan.

HUnes won't ever compare to HUcast as a dps, with or without an extra slot. And maxing ATA/ATK/LCK in HUne is pretty easy; the other stats are not really relevant imo.

>"pls don't heal, using df"
>FOmarl: K
>*heals teammates, accidentally heals the df user from across the room because FOmarl*
>FU-

Nice idea. Even my Lv15 Resta accidentally catches a DF user in range sometimes.
Hell, only time I ever have to apologize in-game because it's a genuine mistake and I understand how it can get someone killed/slow them down.

inb4 this becomes the norm among a small subset of players:

DF User: "Please don't heal me, I don't have the unit and/or don't have an available unit slot for it"
Toxic Community: "FUK U GET THE UNIT" *RESTA RESTA RESTA RESTA RESTA RESTA*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back