Hardcore mode is now LIVE!

The only work around I'd see is not allowing Hardcore players to be in games with any players who are out of a certain level range? But, again, not making that change, just something in the head.

But I agree with Matt, honestly. :p N-VH is kind of, not really that challenging... Just a grind to get to the fun stuff. :p

Doing dragon runs with an alt to level could be bad in a way. Since you cant get items from non hardcore accounts, you wont be picking up money, which you kinda need to feed your mag. You'll end up in ultimate mode with like a level 10-30 mag.

Ok tried this out today, seems pretty cool. A couple of questions though:

1. Any hard mode character can or cannot trade with another hard mode character? I know they cannot trade with normal chars, but was wondering if you can trade with other hard mode chars.

2. I can make 4 characters on my hard mode account, but when one dies, does it delete the account or just the single character in that slot? I was going to test this out, but I didn't want to fuck anything up. Figured I'd just ask.

3. Since you said that classic mode disabled the rare boost, that means that single player "one person" mode does not benefit from the 30% rare drop boost, is that correct?

You can trade with H-chars, meaning that there's pretty much two separate markets (assuming enough people played HC, obviously).

Only the char is deleted.

Dunno about the third. Go into one person and type /partyinfo to find out.

Kevdo said:
Ok tried this out today, seems pretty cool. A couple of questions though:

1. Any hard mode character can or cannot trade with another hard mode character? I know they cannot trade with normal chars, but was wondering if you can trade with other hard mode chars.

2. I can make 4 characters on my hard mode account, but when one dies, does it delete the account or just the single character in that slot? I was going to test this out, but I didn't want to fuck anything up. Figured I'd just ask.

3. Since you said that classic mode disabled the rare boost, that means that single player "one person" mode does not benefit from the 30% rare drop boost, is that correct?
1. You can trade with other hard chars.

2. Only deletes the character in the slot.

3. It doesn't take effect in the one person mode, but I can change that on the next ship update.

Restarting Fodra and Lumireis in about 15 minutes. Made adjustments on Adulrant which will match:

- Hardcore and Normal players can no longer play together outside of Challenge and Battles modes.
- Hardcore bonus now applies to One Person games.
- You can see a game's type, whether it's Normal or Hardcore, on the game list now. (Press TAB to reveal.)

Sodaboy said:
- Hardcore and Normal players can no longer play together outside of Challenge and Battles modes.
Huh, this is an interesting move. What prompted this choice? I must be missing something. :p

Kevdo said:
Huh, this is an interesting move. What prompted this choice? I must be missing something. :p
The last few posts of the topic kind of covered it, but the more I thought about it, the more I figured that it's a bad idea to have a meat shield you can rely on while playing a Hardcore character by the means of a Normal character. It mitigates risk quite a bit.

Also, I realize that I should double the meseta amount given by monsters and boxes so that it matches the rate your experience raises. So, will be doing that soon as well.

I agree with the change, you could easily of had a normal carry your HC char which does defeat the epic challenge of HC ! RIP all those first time fo's i made that didnt make it :p

Should we use the regular trading forum for trades in this mode? Mabye put it in the topic title somehow or something. Or will there be another sub-forum added for it?

I can make another forum, I didn't think about that.

Also, I've noticed a bug that has been in the game since I introduced PSO2 mode. It's been always using the 4P DAR %, even in 2P and 3P mode. I will have to adjust this post haste.

I reeeeeeeally like this idea!

Especially with the recent changes, where the HC chars can only play with other HC chars.

Is anyone familiar with Path of Exile? It's an ARPG where the league have 'seasons'. Every so often, new unique idea is created, and for the duration of that league (usually like 3-4 months) everyone gets to play with these new creative changes. Then once that league is over, they create a new league, so on and so forth.

I personally think that the HC mode is a cool novelty, and because this game wasn't really balanced around a HC mode, I'm not so sure how it will pan out. I would think that this HC mode would be best suited as a temporary league, as described above, where people can 'race' for a set amount of time (maybe like 1-2 weeks) trying to get as far as they can.

I am a little concerned with the way this will split the player base though, as it is, we already have 3 ships, 4 difficulties, and now 2 game modes. And I think that this game-mode is awesome, but it needs to be the center of attention for a week or two, for it to really shine.

I would just suggest from time to time, have these events or races that only last for a bit, then everything returns to normal, until the next event. And just like Path of Exile, at the end of the league, characters and items accumulated go back to the parent league.

Just my 2 cents, but I'm going to give this a whirl regardless.

That's a good idea. Right now, it's a "just for fun" thing for people who like to have more adrenaline while they play the game. But it could be a good way to pass out some of the unavailable items that are in the game, as well, if we had some sort of event like you describe, Busta.

Also, I forgot to unlock POD at the last restart for HC players, so I'll unlock it on the next one. Sorry for the inconvenience.

falkenjeff said:
Would unavailable items be for hardcore mode characters only? Or would they get passed on to people's main accounts?
Would be up to the player.

None of the unobtainable items in PSO are actually gamebreaking, so it's fine. It's just usually stuff like mag cells and other joke weapons.

Hmm, ok. I mean I did read the posts, but you seemed to be against the idea of segregating the two modes completely lol. Well, I've been playing solo mode strictly with my Hard Mode character regardless. I am enjoying it though, but I'm still not sold on trusting other people with my life lmao. I don't see myself using my hard mode character in any kind of multiplayer setting, unless it's with people I know pretty well already.

some thoughts

higher exp rate maybe 5x or even 10x, at least in N-VH
or allow hc mode players to join any difficulty at lv1

give "fame" points upon death, maybe in the form of team points
fame depends on lv/exp
equipments give additional bonuses, e.g. each 10 stars gives +10%, each 11 stars gives +25%
other bonuses (achievements) like:
- clear ep1/ep2/ep4 main quests in N: +2%
- clear ep1 side story quests in N: +1%
- clear ep1/ep2 c-mode: +10% each
- total kills in ma quests
- first blood... err, i mean first death: +5 point
- 10th death: +5 point
- 50th death: +5 point
- die young (dead before reaching lv20): +1 point
- etc

fame points can be used to purchase items: mags, mats, battle units, unobtained items, etc

don't wipe character bank upon death
also retain symbols, played time, c-mode and b-mode records, total deathes of current character unless user decides to remake that character
just reset character's lv, exp, mats, techs, items in inventory

tbh, these ideals are stolen from RotMG
- in RotMG, players can easily reach max level (lv20) around 1~2 hours from scratch
- RotMG has a fame system, players "earn" fame when characters die
- players can "store a number of items for safekeeping in a limited capacity vault"
- RotMG has a pet system
pets assist players in game, won't lost when character dies
players can feed pets items/fame to level them up
so i'd prefer not to delete mags in inventory when character dies in HC mode too

just my 2 meseta

btw
any chance we can register multiple accounts with one single email address?

I've thought about the experience rate, I wanted to make it higher than it is now, but I didn't know if that'd take away too much challenge or not?

Also, some of the things you say can't be done in PSO. I mean, I guess they can, but it'd be kind of complicated.

For Hardcore mode players, if you want their equipment to have different stats than Normal mode players, you'd have to send them a separate ItemPMT upon logging into the server... Then you'd have to code your ship to support that ItemPMT as well as the Normal one. I kind of don't want to do that much work for that.

I'm not sure about this fame point thing either. I think a more simple idea is just having events now and then which use the mode. Plus, where would you display the fame they've gained anyway? I guess a "Hall of Fame" on the website somewhere?

Also, we kind of have no choice but to wipe the character's bank upon death. It is a part of the character file. Where else would the bank go? Would we just reset this character back to level 1 when it dies instead of deleting it? That also takes a good amount of the challenge out of Hardcore mode if you can just keep your gear when you die. The Hardcore accounts still have a common bank. If you really don't want to lose something, you'd put it there.

If that's too "Hardcore" for you, then you probably shouldn't play the mode. Dying in Hardcore mode is supposed to be like dying in real life. You don't just become a baby again. You lose everything.

Most of the stuff you mentioned just ends up pussifying the mode. Fuck that shit. What kind of mess is "I want to be able to die, keep my stuff, plus gain points for dying in which I can buy equipment"?

2x exp is already more than enough, I got to 65 in less than 19 hours of play time, and thats starting with nothing. After transfering a mind mag I made to a new character, i got from level 1-20 in less than an hour.

root said:
2x exp is already more than enough, I got to 65 in less than 19 hours of play time, and thats starting with nothing. After transfering a mind mag I made to a new character, i got from level 1-20 in less than an hour.
Maybe so, but not a lot of people can put in 19 hours over two days. I don't think I could put in 19 hours spread over a week. I don't really know how I would feel about increased experience. On the one hand, it does seem like a cool idea to be able to just breeze through N-VH since for people like me, that's where we're going to be wasting most of our game time.

Reaching ultimate faster would be nice, but on the other hand, I could see how increased experience would be too easy for someone who can put in several hours a day. We could always put it up to a vote. Of course, if you made the experience rate an option you can set when making a hard core game, I bet you everyone will be using the highest multiplier.

Sodaboy said:
Dying in Hardcore mode is supposed to be like dying in real life. You don't just become a baby again. You lose everything.

Most of the stuff you mentioned just ends up pussifying the mode. Fuck that shit.
That first sentience seems to depend on your religion, I think lol. I do agree with the last sentiment though. I think the only facilitation the mode could use is breezing through Normal to Very Hard.

Back