Generic PSOBB Widescreen Launcher

Matt said:
Hi, I got the new version of the launcher today, but for some reason it's not working with certain resolutions.

For every resolution from 800x600 to 1280x1024, the launcher works fine, but if the resolution I choose is either 640x400 or a resolution that's 1366x768 or higher, Windows will tell me that psobb.exe has stopped working and the client doesn't boot at all.

Same thing is happening for me. Yes i'm selecting a resolution my monitor supports. UAC off, ran as admin etc.

They most certainly work because I was using both those resolutions before the Launcher update. (both being 1600x900 and 1920x1080, which aren't working now)

Ok thanks for the report it looks like this bug has arisen for some reason. I'll look into it.

*edit: I've applied a hot fix. Appears to be fine now. Download in the original post. Let me know if there are any problems.

Thanks.

Okay I've fixed the positioning of those. Updated launcher in original post.

Thanks.

Hi Tofuman, this is just a small suggestion.

Is it possible to implement something similar to HUD resizing/zoom, so to speak? It was a feature in PSO2, and to explain is that if the high-res HUD was too small at higher resolutions, you were able to pick a couple of zoom settings (+25%/+50%) to make the HUD whatever size you wanted (within reason obviously, it would stop zooming at certain points). While this is already sort of a thing (you pick the hi-res HUD or you don't), I feel it could be worth implementing for those who feel the regular HUD is too big but the hi-res HUD is too small. This would especially be the case if you ever plan to add 4K support.

I've been able to run PSOBB on 1080P back when I had a GTX660 and some AMD6000 or something processor (I don't really remember). I run it at 1080P now with a GTX980/4790K with the ENB series and don't drop frames at all. I don't know what your PC is, but it can't be very good if you can't run 30FPS on PSOBB, it doesn't take quite that much processing power (or you're doing something completely wrong).

I could actually run 4K if I wanted to (and it was supported) but my monitor doesn't support it, 1080P maximum. (For a more up-to-date example, I run PSO2 on maximum at around 1000FPS)

I was able to run it at 1280x960 on a Pentium 4 with a GeForce 6800. BB isn't that demanding, although it does like nVidia cards more than AMD cards. You probably have some sort of terrible Intel iGPU that the game doesn't like, or you laptop is performing some kind of heavy CPU throttling that makes the game perform badly.

Matt said:
Hi Tofuman, this is just a small suggestion.

Is it possible to implement something similar to HUD resizing/zoom, so to speak? It was a feature in PSO2, and to explain is that if the high-res HUD was too small at higher resolutions, you were able to pick a couple of zoom settings (+25%/+50%) to make the HUD whatever size you wanted (within reason obviously, it would stop zooming at certain points). While this is already sort of a thing (you pick the hi-res HUD or you don't), I feel it could be worth implementing for those who feel the regular HUD is too big but the hi-res HUD is too small. This would especially be the case if you ever plan to add 4K support.

Alot of the his things also have a scale value so it would be possible to do something like that. Although iirc some things share a scaling value. It's something I'd need to look at.

Aleron Ives said:
I was able to run it at 1280x960 on a Pentium 4 with a GeForce 6800. BB isn't that demanding, although it does like nVidia cards more than AMD cards. You probably have some sort of terrible Intel iGPU that the game doesn't like, or you laptop is performing some kind of heavy CPU throttling that makes the game perform badly.

I'm surprised you were able to play without issues on the Geforce 6800! PSOBB was famous at the time for disliking this specific card (when it was brand new!) showing graphical bugs everywhere specially in CCA lol

falkenjeff said:
Oh, so it does put a ton of load on the GPU then, and not all on the CPU?
BB uses 100% CPU at all times, which is why it generates a lot of heat. It isn't that demanding, though.

Neirene said:
I'm surprised you were able to play without issues on the Geforce 6800! PSOBB was famous at the time for disliking this specific card (when it was brand new!) showing graphical bugs everywhere specially in CCA lol
The only problems I noticed were that all of the fog settings produced their own quirks. Some fog settings caused the rings around your feet to turn orange when you were standing in water, while other fog settings caused the floor on Dark Falz 3 to not show the moving text layer, or something like that. Maybe my vanilla 6800 was more compatible than the 6800 Ultra and other variants (or maybe I was just using a magic driver). Most of the poor performance reports I heard were from ATI users, as BB never seemed to like ATI cards very much.

Okies. I'll see what other things are repositioned because of team chat and try to get those fixed with it.

tofuman said:
Okies. I'll see what other things are repositioned because of team chat and try to get those fixed with it.
Thanks a lot... I haven't tried to check everything, but if I find something else I will let you know ;)

Can you add 960 x 540 resolution? I'm trying to play with 4 people on my 1080p tv. I've tried stretching the windows but the game always f*cks it up.

If you could add it me and my friends would be very happy.

Thanks

Not a big issue, but may as well point it out, character name text is not placed correctly in the Falz congratulations screen (and I assume in the other congratulations screens as well).
In the screen below, Mia is the RAcaseal, Ce'Nedra the orange haired HUnewearl, and Johana the brown haired HUnewearl.

Back