Generic PSOBB Widescreen Launcher

Yes, he is not very active but he could leave a link to an old version if needed.
Lol, what is wrong is your thought, a program (at least like this one) doesn't think (such a programmer), go take a look at the other post again, deactivate the option if certain conditions (that lock up the game) are met.

I'll just wait for Tofuman (or talk to him over skype) .. ugh...

Sorry Tofu for this whole nonsense in your topic :?

Hi Tofuman, would you be able to re-upload this Launcher elsewhere? I was trying to use it for a local but seems your dropbox got too much traffic.

@tofuman - Very minor bug: I'm playing on a 21:9 Ultra-Widescreen monitor (2560x1080 21:9 native resolution). Launcher shows 2560x1080 selectable as "16:9" but attempting to use it causes instant-close / crash-to-desktop. 1920x1080 16:9 windowed works fine.

System: Win10 x64, NVidia GTX 980, Intel i5 6600K, 16GB RAM

If longterm you can somehow add support for 21:9 that would be greatly appreciated. Not a big deal though, many modern games don't fully support 21:9, and I know you're super busy so no rush :)

Last edited:
That'll be a typo. The launcher doesn't support 21:9 so its probably using a resolution of 2560x1440. And if the resolution isn't supported the game will just instantly close.

I don't have a setup that could test either resolution though. But adding any resolution is simple enough. I just have no means to test it.

@tofuman You can theoretically test 21:9 aspect ratio by running 1920x810 windowed. For fullscreen testing, may also be possible to create custom resolution in your graphics card driver (I recommend Automatic timings). If you set graphics card and monitor to 1:1 scaling modes, that custom res will display in "letterbox" with black bars at the top and bottom. Also, I would be very happy to alpha / beta test 2560x1080 res for you :)

EDIT: If it helps, 2560x1080 is exactly 320 pixels wider on each side than 1920x1080

EDIT 2: @Soly : I run "fullscreen" on Win10 with Advanced Effect on, by running Windowed and removing borders using WindowedBorderlessGaming (my preference). An alternative app is Codeusa one on GitHub described by @Neirene in another thread. If your computer can handle it, borderless windowed mode is amazing.

Last edited:
EDIT 2: @Soly : I run "fullscreen" on Win10 with Advanced Effect on by running Windowed and removing the borders using WindowedBorderlessGaming (my preference); a viable alternative is also the the Codeusa one described by @Neirene in another topic.
I made virtual fullscreen into the game (with a custom dll), effectively removing any issues caused by the original fullscreen, namely Advanced Effect (hang on ship selection) and Color Depth 16-bit (crash at startup).

I gave that to Sodaboy, you should be able to use it without any external programs if you run the launcher Tofuman developed for Ephinea. (Theoretically Tofuman could add that to his public launcher too, is just like 4 lines of code, really).

Actually... Iirc, Sodaboy told me he set virtual fullscreen by default, if you want the old fullscreen you have to explicitly select it
So you just disable window mode and keep Classic FullScreen disabled, it will use virtual fullscreen.

Oops.

@Soly I honestly never bothered trying Fullscreen because of old habits. First thing I do on ANY PSOBB installation is put it into Windowed mode. I had not put 2+2 together re. the Classic Fullscreen setting (I'd planned to investigate it). I will test non-classic Fullscreen tonight. Thank you for clearing that up.

@tofuman D'oh! I'm sorry. You're right, that was a typo/mistake on my part. Upon double checking, 2560x1440 is the setting I was actually selecting, and of course that would crash if I run it on a 2560x1080 monitor. I rescind calling this a "bug" (though still crossing my fingers for 21:9 support in the very long term).

Actually... Iirc, Sodaboy told me he set virtual fullscreen by default, if you want the old fullscreen you have to explicitly select it
So you just disable window mode and keep Classic FullScreen disabled, it will use virtual fullscreen.

I am using this launcher along with the client downloaded in the client I got from Sodaboy's installation thread: https://www.pioneer2.net/community/threads/tethealla-server-setup-instructions.1/

Is there a .dll I need to grab somewhere to make the fullscreen mode into windowless fullscreen? Right now it runs in true full screen mode, and if I alt tab out it kills the client.

As Aether said, you'll have to use an external program for that since the virtual fullscreen works inside the DLL.
A while ago I made some small utility that does the same as the virtual fullscreen in pso because there was some game that wasn't able to do it (not pso)... but no idea where that stuff went.

just get this http://westechsolutions.net/sites/WindowedBorderlessGaming/
for Windowed borderless fullscreen. Simple and easy to use

I grabbed that. It works pretty well, though it cuts the bottom off a tad.

I like it but I always prefer a "real fix" to a third party workaround. It would be cool to have a .dll for the client we could all use to resolve the issue completely. :)

Thanks though! That program is indeed handy and may come in useful in the future for other games too.

It does cut when set Incorrectly which is they way it is by default for PSO BB, but if you go into the Settings / Game settings of the program ( System Tray Icon ) and make sure PSO BB Size & Offset Resolution is the same as your Monitor it won't cut it off, by default the resolution field is empty for PSO BB.

Otherwise I would not continued using it.

Last edited:
It does cut when set Incorrectly which is they way it is by default for PSO BB, but if you go into the Settings / Game settings of the program ( System Tray Icon ) and make sure PSO BB Size & Offset Resolution is the same as your Monitor it won't cut it off, by default the resolution field is empty for PSO BB.

Aha. That's neat.

Ok, I know my monitor resolution, but how do I find out the offset?

Thanks for the info!

Lets it be X: 0 Y: 0, by default this should be what inside the boxes, it only the resolution that wasn't set when the windows was added.

glad to help when i first installed this software i had the same issue as you do, so i decided to look if they're was something in the setting that would solve the issue and this was the solution.

Back