Generic PSOBB Widescreen Launcher

tofuman

Administrator
Staff member
I've created a general release of my widescreen launcher for PSOBB.

Once downloaded place the launcher.exe file in the same folder as the PSOBB client EXE. You could even replace online.exe with this launcher if you wish.

When first run the launcher will check for 3 files. 2 files for the skin and 1 for config. If the 2 skin files do not exist it will extract the stock PSOBB Launcher skin into the data folder. These 2 files will be named lbk.bmp and litems.bmp. You can edit these if you feel like skinning the launcher. The config file is optional. If this file doesn't exist it will use default values.

If you would like to configure the launcher, create a file in the psobb folder named lsettings.ini. Here is an example of a config:
Code:
[settings]
version=Private Server v1.0
url=http://www.privateserver.com
url2=http://www.privateserver.com/billing

Features

The launcher enables you to select from the following resolutions:

• 640x480
  • 800x600
  • 1024x786
  • 1280x720
  • 1280x800
  • 1280x960
  • 1280x1024
  • 1366x786
  • 1400x1050
  • 1440x900
  • 1600x900
  • 1600x1200
  • 1680x1050
  • 1920x1080
  • 1920x1200
  • 2048x1152
  • 2560x1440
  • 2560x1600

The launcher also enables you to switch to high resolution HUD. This option increases the HUD resolution and doesn't affect your skin.

High resolution HUD
To enable the high resolution hud, select options and then check "High res hud"

highresoption.png

The high resolution hud will only work if you are running equal or greater resolutions than below:

• 1024x768 (4:3)
  • 1280x720 (16:9)
  • 1280x800 (16:10)

Note for Windows Vista/7/8 users
If you are using Windows Vista/7/8 you'll need to ensure that the launcher is run as administrator or that UAC is switched off before you run the launcher. Otherwise you may find that the widescreen/high resolution hud wont work.

There are a few known placement issues with the widescreen changes I've made. The dressing room also doesn't fit the full window. If you would like to make suggestions please do. If I feel its worth adding to the launcher I will implement the improvements

DOWNLOAD HERE
NOTE: THIS LAUNCHER WILL ONLY WORK WITH THE LATEST PSOBB CLIENT 1.25.13

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NDW
Thanks a lot... since I saw it on Eden i liked it a lot.

One suggestion you might want to consider, I added this to a launcher I made.
Keeping several accounts in the registry, every time a new one is added, make a "backup" key for it and then have a way to select any of them before starting the game with the launcher, that way using different accounts is not a "pain" having to type username and password every time.

Any idea why it won't run in fullscreen for me? Select character, loading screen, then just goes black with the sound still playing. Windowed works fine though.

adamck said:
Any idea why it won't run in fullscreen for me? Select character, loading screen, then just goes black with the sound still playing. Windowed works fine though.
I assume you are using windows 10... it has been happening, i guess is the trade off of being able to alt + tab in full screen with w10 :lol:

Edit:
If you want to play fullscreen, disable advanced effect in the advanced video options.

Last edited:
Soly said:
I assume you are using windows 10... it has been happening, i guess is the trade off of being able to alt + tab in full screen with w10 :lol:

Edit:
If you want to play fullscreen, drop this dll in your psobb folder.
http://1drv.ms/1WurMlp
Yea, I am. I'll try that file, thanks.

Edit: File did work, but the game is very laggy in fullscreen. I'll stick to windowed.

Hey, would it be possible to add 1280x960 support in that resolution list? I know it seems really particular, but it's a perfect size in windowed mode, on a 1080p monitor, and still retains it's 4:3. Basically, I want this so I can get the Hi-Res HUD / UI on 1280x960.

Thanks! :)

Okies. I've updated the launcher to support 1280x960. You can download the EXE from the original post. Bear in mind that due to the shift in resolutions users may need to reconfigure their resolution within the launcher.

tofuman said:
Okies. I've updated the launcher to support 1280x960. You can download the EXE from the original post. Bear in mind that due to the shift in resolutions users may need to reconfigure their resolution within the launcher.
Thanks! Very quick as well. :mrgreen:

Edit: I'm on a relatively new server (http://bit.ly/1hhmhGS) and posted this launcher update there, and now someone wants to know if you'd add 3840x2160 (4K), and oddly enough, 3200x1800 support. Sorry for just dumping personal requests on you, but this is an awesome launcher. :cool:

I do actually have plans to add 4k support. However I have no means at the moment to test it properly. But can add them, there's no reason why it wouldn't work.

tofuman said:
I do actually have plans to add 4k support. However I have no means at the moment to test it properly. But can add them, there's no reason why it wouldn't work.
Down scaling all the way!

Edit:
Just checked the launcher and it has 4K but QHD not UDH
Tried to down scale to UDH and was unable to... :?

Changing resolution is only working for me when using the High Res HUD option, it's sticking to the resolution set in the original launcher when the High Res HUD option is turned off (Windows 10, Ephinea server, trying to use 1280x720 in windowed mode, but staying on 1024x768).

If you're going to keep adding more resolutions, it might be beneficial to try to fix the bug that causes game text to become smaller as the window resolution becomes bigger. I wonder if you'll even be able to read the damage numbers at all if you play in UHD. :lol:

This is why its ideal to be able to test the higher resolutions as I add them. I can only run up to 1080p for the moment and I can see it just fine so didn't realize it was an issue.

I'm aware of down-scaling but it's not ideal. The text scaling should be quite simple to implement I'll look into it if I ever add 4k.

It's still readable at common resolutions, but BB does have a scaling bug. If you play at 640x480, the in-game font (used for damage values, EXP values, and stolen HP/TP/EXP values) is the same size as GC. If you select higher resolutions, this text shrinks in proportion to how high of a resolution you selected. It's rather annoying, at least if you're used to the normal size of PSO's text. Text that uses the font you selected in the options (e.g. speech bubble text and item names) is unaffected by the bug.

ezodagrom said:
Changing resolution is only working for me when using the High Res HUD option, it's sticking to the resolution set in the original launcher when the High Res HUD option is turned off (Windows 10, Ephinea server, trying to use 1280x720 in windowed mode, but staying on 1024x768).
Going to have to second this.

I tried to play without the hi-res HUD, but the game won't use the selected resolution with the launcher -- it'll just use a default resolution. This occurred while trying to play 1920x1080 in fullscreen, but it took 1280x960 instead.

Works fine with the hi-res HUD though.

Thanks for the report. Should be fixed now. The link in the original post will contain the latest launcher.

The launcher runs a crc against the psobb.exe and psobb.pat to check whether or not the client needs replacing with the latest client. It could be that AV detects this a suspicious. Online.exe also does this.

Launcher also obviously alters values in the client before launching much like a trainer but if online.exe is being detected also I suspect its the crc check causing a false positive.

Hi, I got the new version of the launcher today, but for some reason it's not working with certain resolutions.

For every resolution from 800x600 to 1280x1024, the launcher works fine, but if the resolution I choose is either 640x400 or a resolution that's 1366x768 or higher, Windows will tell me that psobb.exe has stopped working and the client doesn't boot at all.

Back