Drop rates and rare items.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sodaboy

Sodabob
Staff member
Guildcard
I'm getting a couple of PMs from some people who are complaining about not getting their rare item.

In one example, I'm getting a complaint of a user who did 50 runs of MA4A, killing Rappies, and not getting a 1.5% GALATINE drop.

Let me explain something to you guys...

A rare item or weapon is exactly that... RARE.

You can do 50 runs, you can do 500 runs, it doesn't mean you will get your drop, especially at 1.5%

If this was the case, everyone would have every rare in the game once it became available.

A rare item is about dedication and a whole lot of luck. Not just dedication in and of itself.

Rare items on this server will actually have value because they're not going to be obtainable so easy.

You can't honestly expect that the same day a quest is added or you get to a point where you can hunt a monster, that you are going to get it's coveted drop in the same day. PSO doesn't work like that. It never worked like that, unless you were on a private server that had modified rates.

If you've ever played the game on a SEGA server with normal rates, you'd know that rares were hard to come by unless you edited your data or got them duped. Of course, if you played offline on a console, you could use the telepipe trick. But don't honestly think that you're going to get something with a low drop percent chance same day, even if you kill 1000 Rappies. It's probably NOT going to happen.

there's also the fact that every time you kill something it always has to run that drop chance so it's very possible to get a streak of bad luck and blow thru 50 enemys and not proc the rare your looking for it's also possible that the first one you kill might drop it.

Exactly!

A more simpler way to say that is...

If a drop chance is 1.5% and you kill 1 million enemies, your chance of getting that rare is 1.5%

If a drop chance is 1.5% and you kill 1 of those enemies, your chance of getting that rare is 1.5%

Yup you could kill a monster 1000 times and not get the item then a random person kills one of them and bam he gets the item. That's how RNG works haha Now if people actually played the old PSO, drop rates were more like 1/30248082340928092323 and they'd have a real reason to cry about not getting items at all lol

In the example given (600 rappies for a 1.5% drop), wouldn't the chance of not getting a Galatine be something ridiculous like a 4e-41% chance?

There's unlucky streaks, then there's just questioning if things are accurate. I don't think people are expecting rares to fall on their lap, but you'd expect some sort of average pattern if the drop rate is something high like 1.5%.

1.5% is not high.

Certainly it's high compared to something like a Psycho Wand, but I don't think 1.5% is high.

Isn't 1.5% something like 1/66?

That's one of the best rates in PSO. Doesn't change the fact that the item does not have to drop after 600 kills, but still, not a bad rate at all. Of course, the chances are still pretty low compared to, let's say, a coinflip. And I have seen pretty hard heads or tails streaks in my life.

When the next two Al Rappies don't drop their rare, however, I'm pretty sure that some evil god is watching over me, assuring that I will never get my Diska of Braveman.

OK, I'll take a look at it again, you guys. Just to be sure.

I love the drop rates and hope they never change. It makes finding a rare weapon more exciting then just "oh look a rare weapon. how common is that"

Roaxes said:
I love the drop rates and hope they never change. It makes finding a rare weapon more exciting then just "oh look a rare weapon. how common is that"

And that is not about to change. This is about something else: Some people suspect the drop system to be broken right now, making rares literally unavailable. I've seen some people talk about it in the lobby. There was a fix for rare drops today, so something definitely had been wrong (it looks like the last update was at fault), but it should be fixed by now. Sodaboy is looking into it once more, though.

//EDIT: In my first post, I didn't make clear that I also suspected something to be broken since no one seemed to be finding anything except for PDs. Herewith corrected.

well, I am the person who caused this topic, I guess.

and no, I was not complaining about the droprates and no, I did not say stuff like I have(!) to get specific items, nor do I want a change of the droprates.
I was only worrying about the bug we had befor and I was not able to get this out of my mind. so there were some factors which caused concern and I simply wanted to doublecheck and wanted to know what has been done about it. If there was a new way to solve the problem (which may have cause another bug , who knows) or if he (soda) switched back to the old code. Thats all about this.

The 1.5% chance was only an example I used.
And when you do hunt specific stuff, you do count the number of monsters you defeated. with a chance of 1/66 (and this isnt the worst chance, esp on such a common enemy like a rappy) you will reach a point where you start calculating the probability of failing x times in a row (in my case about 600 for my newest attempt) Additional to this you hear from friends that they were as unlucky as you and you start remembering the bug we had a day ago.
So yea, I know how the drops in pso work and i am also aware that it is possible that I never get the item I hunt. But this was not what I was worrying about, so sorry if I didnt make my worries clear. forgive me ;)

I'm going to make another change so I'm going to restart the ship again.

I'm not sure if it was broken before, as I hadn't been able to test it at my job, but maybe the fix I did earlier today didn't actually fix it. So let me try this again...

Still I meant what I said in my first post either way. You're never guaranteed to get a drop.

I just did some roll tests rolling out of 100,000 for each of the rates and they came back as expected, after I made this second adjustment, so I *know* it will be fine this time. Like, there's no way. If you guys don't get anything, then it's really just bad luck, seriously this time. Like NO WAY...

Let's hope I didn't break it in the other way now and now it's giving out rares like candy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back