Aggrebee's Guide on How To Install The PSOBB Character Reader Addon For Silly Bees

★AGGREBEE★

RAcaseal Enthusiast
Guildcard
Guildcard 2
PSO players nowadays can see the stats and special attacks of weapons without even picking them up and tekking them. They can remotely look in what's in their bank while in the middle of fighting a boss if they so desire. They can check their inventory without having to even open up the menu. They can see the exact amount of HP monsters and players have. They can see exactly how many seconds it takes until their mags need to be fed.

How? The PSOBB Character Reader Addon, of course! Since it simply reads memory from the game and doesn't alter or hack the game, it and similar addons are allowed on Ephinea. If you want to figure out how to enjoy these conveniences, continue reading!
_______________________________________________​

Step 1: Make sure you have the "Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015" installed, which you can find >HERE< on Microsoft's site. If you have a 32-bit version of Windows, install the x86 version. If you have a 64-bit version of Windows, install the x64 version.

Step 2: Locate your PSOBB directory.

sKkHH8G.png

Step 3: Download the "bbmod.zip" file >HERE< from @Soly 's PSOBB Addon Plugin Github page. Extract the files, and cut and paste the "addons" folder and the "dinput8.dll" file into your PSOBB directory. This is what enables the addons to function outside of the addons themselves.

j49e2jG.png

Step 4: Download @Soly's PSOBB Addons from his Gibhub page >HERE<, by clicking the green Clone or Download button, under Download Zip. You should get a file called "PSOBBMod-Addons-master.zip". Extract the files, and cut and paste all of the folders (Character Reader, Monster HP, Player Reader, and solylib) into the "addons" folder now located in your PSO directory.

oqPhCVE.png

Step 5: FIRE UP PSO! If you have places everything in the right directories, you should now have 4 little windows inside the game client itself; Main, Monsters, Player Reader, and Character Reader. You can use the in-game cursor to drag the windows around, click and hold the bottom right corners of each window to resize them, and close the Main menu. You can hit the "~" key to open the Main menu back up, which you'll probably do on accident eventually.

pIksrRF.png

The Character Reader in particular will probably become your favorite thing ever, other than bees. You can click the drop down menu to switch between your inventory, bank (your last currently accessed one, or your character bank by default), and the floor (of the current area you're in). You can click the checkbox for your inventory to see mags only.

0lbs43a.gif

If you click the button "Save to file" it will save the list of items your Character Reader is on to a file named "saved_inventory.txt" located in the "addons" folder in your PSO directory. WARNING! It does not create new files for each time you save a list, it rewrites the "saved_inventory.txt" file.

nGMRueY.png

BONUS STEP: There's a plethora of options for customizing Soly's addons from here. You can open up the "configuration.lua" files with Notepad in each addon's folder and turn things on or off if you change "true" to "false" and vice versa. Here's a screenshot of my config file in the Character Reader folder after doing that after the "Enables a dedicated floor items window local floorItemsWindow" line.

SmhgICW.png

Wait, that's a giant unreadable wall of text! FORTUNATELY, you can use Notepad++, which you can download for free >HERE<. When you open a config files in a regular Notepad, the text is a jumbled mess like in a screenshot above. But if you use Notepad++, it's a lot easier to read. Here's the same file after editing "local floorItemsWindow = false" to "local floorItemsWindow = true":

DPt3UgQ.png

A lot easier on the eyes, isn't it? And this will, indeed, enable another window dedicated to floor items in the game.

juTbTHV.png

In addition you can change the colors for all kinds of things. Again, using the config file in the Character Reader folder, the "0xFFFA57B2, -- Havoc" bit refers to the color the special attack Havoc shows up. The last 6 characters, "FA57B2", is a hex color code, and when you enter it into Google, it shows up as hot pink. You can use Google's color selector and get any color you want, and simply replace the last 6 letters of these color strings to change the color items/specials/names/etc appear in the addon windows in game. Lastly, there's a file called "imgui.ini" in the addons folder. This is where your addon window sizes and locations gets saved to, so if you get them arranged in a way you like and mess it up later, it might be wise to make a copy of "imgui.ini" to replace it with. Otherwise, you can go to the properties of it by right-clicking it, and put it in "Read Only" mode. This way if you move your windows around, your changes won't be saved.

That's about all. I hope this improves your PSO experience and makes your life a little bit easier. Happy hunting!
@Kevdo for a telling me about Notepad++ and couple tricks I learned in his post here

Also be sure to check out Eidolon's original thread about it if you have any issues or bugs, and/or if you want to read all of discussion about this stuff.

Last edited:
Got it working last night anyways.
What throws people off is the "addon" folder that the psobbaddonplugin.zip already has premade, but the plugin character reader needs to be inside its own custom folder and NOT in the addon folder. I figured it out myself, but for those who havent, its good someone cleared that up!

Got it working last night anyways.
What throws people off is the "addon" folder that the psobbaddonplugin.zip already has premade, but the plugin character reader needs to be inside its own custom folder and NOT in the addon folder. I figured it out myself, but for those who havent, its good someone cleared that up!
That's only if you use the DLL I modified.
I added (admittedly pretty vague) information about it in the readme of the repository.

If you use Eidolon's version, you can put it into the addons folder, is just that I dislike files in the root so I moved that stuff around.

That's only if you use the DLL I modified.
I added (admittedly pretty vague) information about it in the readme of the repository.

If you use Eidolon's version, you can put it into the addons folder, is just that I dislike files in the root so I moved that stuff around.
im very confused because I was under the assumption that's how eidolons works too.... lol

Nah, check this commit (on my fork).
I changed the ini and log, as well as the addon directory to ./imgui/

Nah, check this commit (on my fork).
I changed the ini and log, as well as the addon directory to ./imgui/

Your directory (the chart in the readme) goes: psobb/imgui/addon_name

My pso directory goes: psobb/addons/addon_name

The only difference I'm seeing is where imgui.ini ends up (yours puts it in the imgui folder, and mine puts it in the root).

Maybe Eidolons lets you optionally put addons in their own folder, and yours forces it? idk lol

Your directory (the chart in the readme) goes: psobb/imgui/addon_name
My pso directory goes: psobb/addons/addon_name

You said it, for Eidolon's, you need to put them in "./addons"
for mine you need to put them in "./imgui"

Well, regardless of the different folders, its good that this has been cleared up. :)
Its not necessary, but would be good in the long run to make it a bit more specific "this plugin goes under 'imgui' " or "this goes under 'addons' ", for the non patient users.
Saves time and faq's.
thumbs_up.png

Well, regardless of the different folders, its good that this has been cleared up. :)
Its not necessary, but would be good in the long run to make it a bit more specific "this plugin goes under 'imgui' " or "this goes under 'addons' ", for the non patient users.
Saves time and faq's.
thumbs_up.png
Is exactly what I wrote in the readme:
Note: If you use the modified DLL from this repository you have to place the addons in ./imgui/*

upload_2017-4-12_22-58-43.png
Never thought it did steer its ugly face again. I thought I was done when I gone away from my old computer. I actually made sure it was the plugin too. Sadly, it is. rip mag feeder.

So I barely got a chance to test out the solution now...
upload_2017-4-13_21-1-55.png
...Kind of salty.

I Love the new guide!! I was finally able to get Monster HP! I dont know what i was doing wrong, but with the simple cut and paste instructions I finally got it! Thx again!upload_2017-5-29_6-29-11.png

Just wanted to point out that you can download something like Notepad++ to easily read and edit the .lua files without it looking like a jumbled mess, as it does in regular notepad.

Just wanted to point out that you can download something like Notepad++ to easily read and edit the .lua files without it looking like a jumbled mess, as it does in regular notepad.
Thanks for the tip, I think I'll also include that in the guide. It didn't use to be a jumbled mess when opening it with regular Notepad, I'm not sure why it is now. Nor did I care to ask. Nevertheless it will come in handy if I become more active again. ._.

:Edit: I put it in the guide. I hope I fit it in in such a way that it still reads okay. Hopefully. Maybe. Potentially. Possibly. <.>

Last edited:
Most advanced text editors support both the Unix newline format (LF) and the Windows newline format (CRLF), but Notepad only supports CRLF, so if your text file has line feeds without carriage returns, then Notepad thinks all of the text is on a single line. You can easily confirm if this is the problem by opening the file in WordPad, which is advanced enough to understand LF newlines.

Does it works on XP os? i've been trying changing the name of the folders and i haven't been able to make it work :/

The log window says "addon_name present a handler errored and has been closed"or something like that. :(

Last edited:
Back