wrath of forest and path to salvation are bad quests

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah i got all kinds of ulterior motives, such as "wanting the server to have better quests" and "finding a heaven punisher" and the really controversial "helping my hucast friend find a hit chainsawd"

I think it's time to lock this because it's obvious that the community can't be trusted to discuss balance in any way without vehemently attacking each other and avoiding each others' points just to look right and paint the other as the wrong one. Hardly anyone realistically countered the main points against WoF and PTS, instead attacking people and saying they're "bad" at PSO, since I suppose people are realising there's nothing to gain and everything to lose.

Before you guys go around attacking others as the "fun police", know that it was me who decided that these quests were an issue long before Agastya made this thread, this thread was just what prompted me to take action (and it would have happened eventually anyway, maybe the day after, so still not Agastya's fault). If I get more reports of people attacking others for simply having opinions, as I know has been happening ingame, I may end up resort to warning and/or banning temporarily. There's nothing wrong with disagreeing, but the conduct here and ingame (but mostly ingame) has been appalling to say the least.

On the subject of the quests themselves:

The reason PTS was removed was because of a severe imbalance with the quest roster and the game itself. Argue as much as you want otherwise, but quests like PTS introduce "power creep" to a quest roster that was already relatively well balanced (apart from perhaps the boss rush quests and MA4) and encouraged people to play all sorts of different stuff for EXP and drops. With the introduction of these sorts of quests, any fan-made quest creators would feel like they need to compete with them if they want people to be interested in their own quests, causing quests to get more and more crazy, obsoleting old quests and making new spammy quests the only worthwhile thing to play in the community's eyes.

Furthermore, this sort of stuff decreases the game's longevity. The grind has always been the draw of PSO, and call easy hit DoBs or SNs "non-gamebreaking", but for many they are time consuming hunts that stretches how long the game lasts for them. Sure it's still not easy, but it's a hell of a lot easier if you can jump in a quest with like 200 merlans over a standard 40-50 in a much shorter amount of time. EXP gain most likely does not need to be stated, but these quests also cause a huge jump in that. TTF and MA4 might be "a lot", but they're not as much as this and only stand to get much worse.

The fact that there is an event is not the issue here. Yes, people will play the best thing for event drops, but previously other things weren't so mindless and overpowered compared to everything else, and they are still overpowered quests outside the event. Furthermore, do we really want people to be doing the quest with 2x the amount of MA4's drops every event? Not really.

Lastly, at the risk of fear-mongering, we'll be looking at the quest roster in general and see what to do about it. Chances are we're not going to be doing much, but Ephinea plans to be a server which replicates the Vanilla experience with extras, not deviate away from it and broken quests can very well be called that.

PS: Something being fun does not necessarily make it a well-designed nor a good nor a balanced quest. Most of these posts just sound like they didn't want their easy method to get eggs being taken away from them, which did not sway me at all in my decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back