Wireless Speed Boosting?

Yeah I got a a cheaper one in my basket right now. Just no cash for a week :3

Ya, gonna get this one when I get money into the bank. (Thursday).

Director of IT Network Engineering here!

This is is likely an issue with your connection to the ISP. With connection speeds this bad calling your ISP and having a technician come out and check the line would be the first thing you need to do. If this is the speed your paying for then thats fine...but most likely your are not getting what your are paying for. If you are get a new internet package or threaten to cancel (bluff) and get a new package.

Going wired via USB, Ethernet etc... is a good idea and will minimize losses that may be created from your homes construction. Signals through walls of old homes is quite the shit show most of the time, and it doesnt really matter what crazy router you have if you are going through a floor or concrete wall.

1. Talk with ISP, verify what you pay for.
1a. Ask them to boost your signal. While they are boosting the signal, ask them to check your modem log files.
2. If you pay for more speed than what you show above, someone needs to check the line. If the line check fails or performs poorly, they usually wire you a new route to the box for free.
3. Avoiding wireless is a good idea, but only if wireless is the cause due to interferance in the area.
4. PSO uses basically ZERO data, it barely even cares about latency a lot of the time (1000ms spikes will not always cause a connection termination). Latency is the most likely reason you lose connection to a server, but a T3 drop can also be the main cause (caused by poor wiring or bad signal...even new homes and wiring can have this issue for various reasons. See step 2 as a technician needs to fix the line issue that causes the T3 drops.)

There are many other reasons, but these are the ones that are fixable and are not that difficult. Anything past this point and network analysis will need to be done (T3 drops can usually be seen in the log files of your modem)

Good luck. Let me know if you need more indepth knowledge for troubleshooting.

We phoned them yesterday. They said we are paying for 19mb speed. I'm not going to do anything else now until I've tested the speed via ethernet cable to the router.

Director of IT Network Engineering here!

This is is likely an issue with your connection to the ISP. With connection speeds this bad calling your ISP and having a technician come out and check the line would be the first thing you need to do. If this is the speed your paying for then thats fine...but most likely your are not getting what your are paying for. If you are get a new internet package or threaten to cancel (bluff) and get a new package.

Going wired via USB, Ethernet etc... is a good idea and will minimize losses that may be created from your homes construction. Signals through walls of old homes is quite the shit show most of the time, and it doesnt really matter what crazy router you have if you are going through a floor or concrete wall.

1. Talk with ISP, verify what you pay for.
1a. Ask them to boost your signal. While they are boosting the signal, ask them to check your modem log files.
2. If you pay for more speed than what you show above, someone needs to check the line. If the line check fails or performs poorly, they usually wire you a new route to the box for free.
3. Avoiding wireless is a good idea, but only if wireless is the cause due to interferance in the area.
4. PSO uses basically ZERO data, it barely even cares about latency a lot of the time (1000ms spikes will not always cause a connection termination). Latency is the most likely reason you lose connection to a server, but a T3 drop can also be the main cause (caused by poor wiring or bad signal...even new homes and wiring can have this issue for various reasons. See step 2 as a technician needs to fix the line issue that causes the T3 drops.)

There are many other reasons, but these are the ones that are fixable and are not that difficult. Anything past this point and network analysis will need to be done (T3 drops can usually be seen in the log files of your modem)

Good luck. Let me know if you need more indepth knowledge for troubleshooting.

They already came out a few years back when my brother was here because he had similar issues (and he's a Tech pro, I'm just a noob, he works for as Apple these days), they said everything was fine. They even said the router was fine (even though it was so bad it randomly shutdowm 2-3 times a day, my mum bought the current router out of her pocket). I never asked if they charged her for that but they probably did. She literally just started this new contract a few months ago so she says she has to stay on it for now. (it's £40 for unlimited downloads, 19mb speed and phoneline but that still charges, certain times blah blah, before she was paying £60 which I assume was the same speed, but full calls (she has full calls on mobile so), she had to complain/argue/make hassle over a few months (randomly charged her incorrectly a few times) to get it down) Also dealing with them as little as possible is best because it has to go through my mum as it's in her name. I don't want to put hassle or stress onto her specially as she has to deal with a lot already (I don't care about wasting money on something that may end up useless in an attempt to see if it could benefit (such as powerline) as that's all on me and not her). I told her all about it all and explained over an hour how the signal all works and stuff, and that basically if the router isn't giving the speed via the ethernet cable then we're not getting what they say. So we'd probably contact them about the speed were ''getting'' and could ask for a signal boost etc also then. I just don't want to impose to much on my ma. If it was in my name I'd be telling them where to go xd.

Update:

The cable for USB to Ethernet came so I was able to connect directly to the router. I went downstairs and followed this:

BXdAnig.png

skPBAS6.png

8axoG4t.png

2b9a7Cn.png
Which left me at ''damn''. So I will have to get mum to phone the ISP for these details before I can actually test the ISP via the router.

However while I was next to the router I thought '' what the heck'' and did a speedtest:
hew5JSo.png

As you can see it was DOUBLE what the original speed tests were at and only a few MB away from what the ISP informed us the speed is. So I am assuming it's a signal issue with the router being cramped and the old house having walls as thick as steel boulders. I went upstairs and plugged a WiFi extender
l9IHou3.jpg
into my laptop (about a meter away) and set it up then did a test again upstairs and the results were pretty much the same as they were next the router instead of the previous low MBps.

Am I correct in assuming the WiFi extender helped? Regardless before I continue, I will get the info from my mother in the morning, test connected into the router and hope that it continues to be 14+ as tested just recently. (and then once doing so proceeding to change channel and test other things like moving thew router for best possible signals etcetc)

Sounds like an extender is what you needed :eek: Ethernet will always be best performance, and you shouldn't have to set anything up to use it really, it should just connect, but it sounds like the extender should work just fine.

Sounds like an extender is what you needed :eek: Ethernet will always be best performance, and you shouldn't have to set anything up to use it really, it should just connect, but it sounds like the extender should work just fine.

Should just work plugged in without having to type in info? Hmm I'll play around later/tomorrow.

Just remember, reaching upload limit through softwares like GoogleDrive will affect network performance drastically. It will happen regardless of which computer/software in the network saturates the line. Even downloading performance is affected since it requires tcp handshakes and thus you will have poor download/upload/ping as a result of having upload saturated.

1mbps is kind of low to sync 20 gigabytes of data. That's only 125 KB/sec assuming your line is saturated and about 2 full days of nonstop computer activity to achieve that... Meanwhile, your Internet connection will be crappy during those 2 days (that's under ideal conditions where no one uses the connection, you are wired and the computer stays on and connected to the Internet for that full period of time). Honestly, if you must absolutely do that, do it when you know you won't be using the Internet for a while unless you can limit the bandwith the software is going to use (which I'm sure GoogleDrive can do through some configurations).

Also, people sometimes don't even know and background game clients/softwares such as Steam can butcher their download connection speed for a while to update games they may not even be playing anymore.

Last edited:
Back