Some concerns about Ephinea

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd think, even without knowing most people, I've gotten a pretty warm welcome. I'm a pretty secluded person and even with that I feel like if I asked Spuz or Anime or Arch or Falk or Agastya to play with me (as well as numerous other people I idolize here) I think they would. Even if I'm only level 20 and the best thing they can do is sit around and talk to me as I get my ass knocked around by Gilchich's, I still believe they'd be nice to me and swallow their unyielding boredom lol. Not everybody is going to like each other in a community, it's just a fact and expecting everybody to be friendly just seems like an unrealistic expectation to me. Save the people who are nice and ignore the people who aren't. Not everybody is going to get along, I see enough people on every day to satisfy my lust for social activity on PSO, so I'm cool with how we are.

I have no comments on quests. The hardest thing I've played on my FOnewm so far is Lost Bride (the one where you gotta protect the fat FOmarl and get her skinny again). So I am not one to speak of such things.

I only have a problem with this tiny statement. It's not even really a problem, as much as it is my personal justification as to how I personally end up screwing up sometimes as a FOnewm. I feel like its innately impossible to really know when people are trying to trigger mag effects unless they are actively telling me, and even then, it's still pretty hard to judge because if it doesn't trigger and they die, it's my fault for not healing.

That's just my justification, otherwise, everything I sort of agree with for the most part. It seemed like people welcomed me with open arms but the only person I've played with is Glados in a few multiplayer games; most of the time I'm playing by myself in a private room (which is my problem, not anybody else's), so therefore not many people have played with me. I'm sure when I hit Ultimate and I get higher level techs I should be able to perform well and see if people really like me or not. As of right now, I currently have no social experience with anybody to really tell if people like me or not, lol.
People "liking you or not" is setting yourself up for failure dear. Players here have too far a spectrum of purrsonalities to judge yourself by. You can get every support tech off flawlessly and not allow a single player to die in the worst of rooms...everyone gets exp and a few good rares...then at the end of the quest you feel good about the run, and some asshat will call you "useless!"?? SRSLY?? Mew doesn't do What she does How she does it for popularity, she does it Knowing she's done her best Trying to be that kinda purrson she would want beside herself in combat! When people see your dedication and passion to commit yourself....'liking you' may only be natural without you even looking for it ='). Play how you play, Be yourself, Be selfless, Expect nothing in return, ..... Someone can be a total hard ass IRL or a total jerk in game, but in the end when they say a simple kurt "Thanks" ..... is that not what you wanted? =')

Last edited:
Ewww helping zues out. (jkjk)
ROFLMFAO!!! Mew had JUST posted a warm and fuzzy reply for Zues-san then saw Spoozies reply....and Totally had that anime moment where a character falls to the floor with their feet in the air like..... GAH!! X'D!

I know, but HBR is mostly played on Ultimate and is the most productive out there. VH HBR's are pretty rare tbh and not much drops from it anyway most of the time.
Also, keep in mind HBR changes every month. A certain month's HBR may not fancy everyone. The idea is to get people to try new quests, or to do quests that they normally don't do.

I can understand, this is not competition with other servers. I compared it to another server which I perhaps should not have done. However, when it is hard finding a decent game online then the experience itself deteriorates as well and it will become less enjoyable. You can question whether it is completely met or not.
I do agree with this wholeheartedly, but there's not really a lot that could be done to hike up the population permanently other than more exposure; events are always good, but not really a long-term solution unless you keep throwing them out, in which case people probably won't play at all unless there's an event on, but always having an event on feels tiring, especially if you have other priorities/responsibilities.

Ephinea is already very well established in the PSO private server community now (at least, I think it is), so it's not like it it's unknown anymore or perceived as a bad server.

I do agree with this wholeheartedly, but there's not really a lot that could be done to hike up the population permanently other than more exposure; events are always good, but not really a long-term solution unless you keep throwing them out, in which case people probably won't play at all unless there's an event on, but always having an event on feels tiring, especially if you have other priorities/responsibilities.

I understand. More exposure sounds great of course but without a budget not easily obtained. In my original post I came with some ideas of which you can or cannot agree with. It might be an idea to use a banner once or twice an hour to invite friends (for perhaps some small rewards, but that is hard because it could be abused). From my marketing background, I know this works, with or without reward.

The thing with pso. Is its not one of these games people spam forever. Except a few of us.

Most people play it for a month or two and leave. Then come back a few months later and repeat. From my experience. The fact it's so old and overplayed makes it hard to keep players attention.

I do agree with this wholeheartedly, but there's not really a lot that could be done to hike up the population permanently other than more exposure

Exactly! Spreading news about the server is probably the easiest and most productive way to keep the server alive and fun for everyone. That article on Forbes sure helped a lot to bring people back to the game, even some that didn't knew about PSO private servers at all. Every once in a while I spread news about Ephinea in gaming communities or on PSO videos on Youtube and I know a few others do the same here. Just go on some PSO retro-reviews and stuff like that and look at the comments. I garantee you'll see comments from people asking if playing online is still possible etc... just bring them here and everyone wins. ;)

but always having an event on feels tiring, especially if you have other priorities/responsibilities.

I agree. Not having a lot of stuff like events is one of the things that made me come back to PSO on Ephinea and quit WoW. While being fun, events can at the same time put us "under pressure" because of time restrictions etc. The line between simple fun and feeling like the game's has become a 2nd full time job is easily crossed, not to mention that it'll be different from one player to another. Some might have 40 hours per week to dedicate to the game, but not everyone. Those who can't might get frustrated too by missing on rare items and other event goodies too often etc... I can't complain about the work of our staff either, after all we do get to play PSO for free here to begin with. If other people have ideas and want to work some things out for the server tho, it could be interesting. Maybe create some new permanent quests and add them to the game instead of full on events? If designed carefully for stuff like # of monster spawns maybe it could bring some fresh air to the game without ruining the balance of the current drop chart. I dunno, just saying... :)

Yeah tbh the there is a whole bunch of good quests. People just don't stray far from what they know.

The cycle of life and death continues.

latest
ftfy bby

To be honest, pso is the one game i never get bored with. Mainly because no matter how perfect you are, or how perfect your gear is, your only as good as your last run.

Hardcore is a thrill if your bored. That moment your in yellow health and out of ways to heal is pretty intense (which is why my 2nd attempt will involve some form of gush weapon for healing as a last resort, lesson learned). Theres also people like myself that played vanilla dc pso, so episodes 2 and 4 are new content to us.

There will always be a core group of players playing. I know im online as much as i can be currently, mainly because i riped and im leveling a new character (mini psa, dont charge weapon when a hc character is soul linked by faltz. That still leaves a salty taste in my mouth), but im sure if you utilize the chats/discord/lobby, you can find a group to roll with. Most people are willing to help out with items too, which is a new thing to me as im usualy on the opposite end of this.

Ive been a member of this comunity for 3 weeks now. Best 3 weeks ive spent on any game so far. Yes, server size is smaller, but that means the comunity is closer, which is a good thing.

If leveling is an issue, grind to the future as far as you can, quit the mission, and repeat. If your lvl 1, run forest till you can nuke dragon then do the above. I know on hc ive been doing this with great success as a new player coming in.

Ive been a member of this comunity for 3 weeks now. Best 3 weeks ive spent on any game so far. Yes, server size is smaller, but that means the comunity is closer, which is a good thing.

Exactly! :)

If your lvl 1, run forest till you can nuke dragon then do the above.

Any player with a bit of experience on PSO can also jump straight in Ep 4 in One Person mode and do a quick run in Warrior's Pride. Only things to watch for are a few Zus and Astarks but having 2 npc meatshields helps a lot. Very quick and easy xp. :D

Exactly! :)

Any player with a bit of experience on PSO can also jump straight in Ep 4 in One Person mode and do a quick run in Warrior's Pride. Only things to watch for are a few Zus and Astarks but having 2 npc meatshields helps a lot. Very quick and easy xp. :D
O.O ive not even touched ep4 yet. I saw invisible lizards and about flipped the table lol

I saw invisible lizards and about flipped the table lol

Yeah they're a bit annoying but very slow and predictable. It's easy to shoot them from sides/behind tho if you go a bit too far the npcs will try to follow you and it'll make the Lizards turn, thus facing you again. Freeze traps and techs do a pretty good job on them too. Once you get the hang of using npcs to your advantage tho any quests with them can become ridiculously easy. The Ep 1 quest called Retired Hunter is also very good, just beware of the Belras/Bringers/Sorcerers. It easily takes less than 30 minutes to complete the first 3 "beginner quests" at the counter to unlock it but Warrior's Pride is accessible from the start in Ep 4 and is better imo. ;)

I'm currently building a list of the quests that provide npcs for assistance on this thread. It's far from being complete for now but I'm adding more info when I get enough time.

Last edited:
I took a break once I reached level 200, which was right around the time the summer event ended (a couple weeks before). I love PSO and will definitely be coming back to level up my HUcast at some point, but repeating the same quests over and over and over has tired me out and I need a bit of a break. And of course the endless Psycho Wand hunting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back