Real Life Crap

That's not fog. It's smog. I wasn't kidding when I said it felt like I was breathing in 10 packs of cigarettes. I didn't have time to snap a picture of people wearing LEGIT GAS MASKSSnapchat-691788079.jpg

Now I understand why you're moving to Vietnam, love.

Also, you've had a very interesting life so far. From army man to PhD in mathematics to school teacher in Vietnam. I'd love to hear the reasons behind all these choices if you want to talk about it here. I know you want to hear about other people's interests and their stories, but you seem to be one of the most interesting people here.

And those gas masks sound like a good idea there. Is the entire city like that?

Here is my real life post for you Scoobs:
Started grad school today, MS in Data Analytics. I think I was the only one there who had taken Linear Algebra before, the professor ran through matrix operations in about 2 minutes, I think it spooked the others.
Then I came home and made a beef bourguignon for me and the wife, now getting the baby ready for bed so I can practice some programming in R, then play a lil PSO before sleeps :D

Had two texts today;

"Hey Lorelei. I got sick and cannot leave my bed, sorry. I'll make it up to you."

"Hey I'm not going to do and packing today, I got food poisoning and I've been in the bathroom since midnight."

Then I sent one to another friend asking if she would be able to hang out anywhere.

"While I'd love to go shopping, I've got things to do at home. Sorry."

From the country that brought you Nandos
I had a layover in Beijing. Luckily, Chinese government gave me 72 hours to run around in their capital. I didn't go very far as when I stepped out I was greeted with....nothing. i got some more pics after these.
Snapchat-1864672085.jpg Snapchat-2087600109.jpg Snapchat-2098144553.jpg Snapchat-1030241416.jpg Snapchat-789692276.jpg Snapchat-791437972.jpg

Reactions: Zen
Beijing is one of the ugliest fucking cities I have ever been too. I have a disdain for China, sorry. Fuck the censorship, fuck the ugly city, fuck China. China sucks.

Snapchat-59563190.jpg Snapchat-2107048946.jpg 20170112_193743.jpg 20170112_193721.jpg Snapchat-1979418418.jpg Snapchat-685051185.jpg Snapchat-371660322.jpg Snapchat-1806798912.jpg Snapchat-1414797120.jpg Snapchat-983070953.jpg

Last edited:
Snapchat-77348424.jpg Snapchat-1655929110.jpg Snapchat-1256777277.jpg
Chinese McDonalds yo
Snapchat-1792013221.jpg

Attachments

• Snapchat-1655929110.jpg
    Snapchat-1655929110.jpg
    984.8 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: Zen
Looks like it's designed for 10 to 100 times the traffic volume. Everything is so huge but there are almost no pedestrians, cyclists or the odd (inline) skater. Very eerie.

I get now why they're so amazed by European cities. Even the nearest town here in the middle of nowhere is beautiful in comparison with architecture from like 500 years ago, cobblestone roads and even some contemporary art.

Or is this just the ugliest part of Beijing?

At first I was wondering why you went like 1/3 around the globe all of a sudden. Then I remembered Russia is huge and probably shares borders with half of the countries in Eurasia, so you just took a wrong turn in China?

Also your girlfriend has really good aim!

At first I was wondering why you went like 1/3 around the globe all of a sudden. Then I remembered Russia is huge and probably shares borders with half of the countries in Eurasia, so you just took a wrong turn in China?

Also your girlfriend has really good aim!
Haha. That's not my girlfriend. She is just a friend from China. My girlfriend is Vietnamese. She stayed back because she was too busy.

We went through Mongolia to Olkhon island and the Siberian border. It was cold as fuck. Mongolia was cold as fuck. Russia was cold as fuck. How the fuck people lived out there for thousands of years in yurts, covered in animal skins, riding around on horses shooting arrows I'll never know.

Looks like it's designed for 10 to 100 times the traffic volume. Everything is so huge but there are almost no pedestrians, cyclists or the odd (inline) skater. Very eerie.

I get now why they're so amazed by European cities. Even the nearest town here in the middle of nowhere is beautiful in comparison with architecture from like 500 years ago, cobblestone roads and even some contemporary art.

Or is this just the ugliest part of Beijing?

That was probably just the ugliest part of Beijing. I'm sure Beijing has gorgeous areas like every city but for the most part Beijing was like a dull, bland, post cold-war era looking city.

Though some of the richest Chinese people I've ever met hail from Beijing so I'm sure they have their Beverly Hills.

Last edited:
We went through Mongolia to Olkhon island and the Siberian border. It was cold as fuck. Mongolia was cold as fuck. Russia was cold as fuck. How the fuck people lived out there for thousands of years in yurts, covered in animal skins, riding around on horses shooting arrows I'll never know.

This comment right here is pure gold, it made me laugh pretty hard. Someone needs to frame a print of that.

.....AND SEND PICS OF IT!

Damn scoob you get around that's pretty sweet. How do you have money / time to travel so much? not to mention a phd in something many give up on entirely, good on ya man!

Back