Quick question - Quick answer

I've had no trouble asking for specific low pd items and eventually finding a seller. Just keep a lookout and you can find some decent stuff being traded.

Literally you get to type words and watch fireworks and shit explode. FUNFUN

If I spend 5 PDs to put 1% on a weapon....

Lets use native as an example. I spend 5 PDs, and add 1% native to my mechguns. My Charge Vulcs are now 1/0/0/30|50h.

Olga flow turns red and is weak against native due to RNG.

Do my 1% native charge vulcs do full damage (1k+ per hit with shifta/zalure) or do they do garbage damage (10-100 per hit)?

ie: Do the percents affect HOW MUCH damage you do to red Olga, or do they just affect whether you do any damage at all?
Should just be if you'll do any damage at all.

Yes. @NDW didn't you have a page with all the math? Spread Needle is better on some, and Arrest Needle is better on some. I think.
Ah, now that you mention it he did send me this: http://www.freewebs.com/azurepso/psostatistics.htm

Not really seeing anything in regards to S-Ranks, unless I just don't do the reduction. Not sure what exactly is ESP as well.

Also, wondering how does hit% come into play.

Last edited:
Spread Needle vs. Arrest S-Rank Needle
There has been some debate over whether spread needle with hit% is more effective than arrest needle on androids. One argument supposes that non-droids are in need of activation, whereas droids require hit% for more accuracy, because their activation bonus is limited to 20% on arrest due to an ingame limit on how frequently arrest can activate (100%). This argument can be considered to rival the information provided on this link.

Zack wrote:

You don't see many enemies with more than 50 ESP, but many areas have enemies with well over 35 ESP that you want to paralyze. In order to achieve 100% activation rate, you need V501/2 and the android bonus in ultimate against enemies with 30 or less ESP with a Spread Needle. For Arrest, you need enough ATA to hit (which you get plenty of on the third attack of a combo, which already has almost universally has 100% hit rate, and against frozen groups of enemies on the second or third attack with RAcast/RAcaseal freeze traps you are guaranteed to hit). Spread Needle with ~50% Hit can also achieve this without the freeze trap, and that is the advantage of it. However, against anything with more than 30 ESP, the Arrest Needle is better.

Long Story short: Against weak enemies, Spread Needle is better (less than 30 ESP) on androids. Against all enemies, Arrest Needle is better on fleshies. Against strong enemies, Arrest Needle is better (more than 30 ESP) on androids.

Most groups of enemies involve at least one type of enemy with over 30 ESP (usually around 35-45 ESP) and you cannot achieve 100% activation against them with a Spread Needle although the ATA on it will connect every time due to its Hit%. The Arrest Needle, on the other hand, achieves 100% activation on damn near every enemy in Episode I and its accuracy "problem" is *more* than augmented by the Freeze Trap's massive EVP reduction. The S-Rank Needle is better because it can make up for its weakness with something as simple as laying a freeze trap.

Spread Needle, on the other hand, can't even achieve 100% activation against the wolves in Forest 1. (64 + 30 - 35) x 1.5 = 88% paralysis chance against wolf

While an Arrest Needle has enough activation to handle anything up to and including the later stuff in Desert. Its activation rate is 100% on EVERY DAMN ENEMY EXCEPT THE MERISSAS. 100% means it does not fail to activate. No enemy (except Del Rappy) has enough EVP to dodge an s-rank needle attack while frozen. They will get paralyzed.

With an S-Rank Arrest Needle, you get:
(80 + 30 - 21) x 1.5 = 100% paralysis chance on Goran
(80 + 30 - 32) x 1.5 = 100% paralysis chance on Pyro Goran
(80 + 30 - 36) x 1.5 = 100% paralysis chance on Goran Detonator
(80 + 30 - 41) x 1.5 = 100% paralysis chance on Girtablulu
(80 + 30 - 45) x 1.5 = 100% paralysis chance on Sand Rappy
(80 + 30 - 58) x 1.5 = 78% paralysis chance against Merissa A, hardest thing to paralyze in EpIV

compared to Spread Needle's ****:
(64 + 30 - 21) x 1.5 = 100% paralysis chance on Goran (don't get used to it)
(64 + 30 - 32) x 1.5 = 93% paralysis chance on Pyro Goran
(64 + 30 - 36) x 1.5 = 87% paralysis chance on Goran Detonator
(64 + 30 - 41) x 1.5 = 79% paralysis chance on Girtablulu
(64 + 30 - 45) x 1.5 = 73% paralysis chance on Sand Rappy (...)
(64 + 30 - 58) x 1.5 = 54% paralysis chance on Merissa A

Conclusion: Spread Needle sucks.

ryopso wrote:

From what I have read, the final success rate of the special is calculated using the following formula:

("Special Success Rate" - "Monster's ESP" + "Class Bonus") x "Unit Bonus" = "Final Success Rate of Special"

Notes:
1. Special Success Rate can be checked here
2. Monster's ESP can be found in the Beastiary section in PSO-World
3. Class Bonus = 30 for Andriod in Ulimate, else = 0
4. Unit Bonus = 1.5 if V501/2 is equipped, else = 1

Example: Using arrest on a monster with 50 ESP with a RAcast in Ult

Special Success Rate: 80
Monster's ESP: 50
Class Bonus: 30

80 - 50 + 30 = 60 (%)

If v501/2 is used:

(80 - 50 + 30) x 1.5 = 90 (%)

Source:
https://sites.google.com/site/psowiki/home/assorted-information

On the casts I personally prefer the hit Spread Needle anyway, as the enemies you mostly Arrest can't be frozen anyway, so the Hit will be invaluable (Dorphons, Girtablublus come to mind). I personally also never see it fail either, so it's really either/or if playing a robot.

Arrest Needle for sure on a fleshie though.

Spread Needle vs. Arrest S-Rank Needle
There has been some debate over whether spread needle with hit% is more effective than arrest needle on androids. One argument supposes that non-droids are in need of activation, whereas droids require hit% for more accuracy, because their activation bonus is limited to 20% on arrest due to an ingame limit on how frequently arrest can activate (100%). This argument can be considered to rival the information provided on this link.

Zack wrote:

You don't see many enemies with more than 50 ESP, but many areas have enemies with well over 35 ESP that you want to paralyze. In order to achieve 100% activation rate, you need V501/2 and the android bonus in ultimate against enemies with 30 or less ESP with a Spread Needle. For Arrest, you need enough ATA to hit (which you get plenty of on the third attack of a combo, which already has almost universally has 100% hit rate, and against frozen groups of enemies on the second or third attack with RAcast/RAcaseal freeze traps you are guaranteed to hit). Spread Needle with ~50% Hit can also achieve this without the freeze trap, and that is the advantage of it. However, against anything with more than 30 ESP, the Arrest Needle is better.

Long Story short: Against weak enemies, Spread Needle is better (less than 30 ESP) on androids. Against all enemies, Arrest Needle is better on fleshies. Against strong enemies, Arrest Needle is better (more than 30 ESP) on androids.

Most groups of enemies involve at least one type of enemy with over 30 ESP (usually around 35-45 ESP) and you cannot achieve 100% activation against them with a Spread Needle although the ATA on it will connect every time due to its Hit%. The Arrest Needle, on the other hand, achieves 100% activation on damn near every enemy in Episode I and its accuracy "problem" is *more* than augmented by the Freeze Trap's massive EVP reduction. The S-Rank Needle is better because it can make up for its weakness with something as simple as laying a freeze trap.

Spread Needle, on the other hand, can't even achieve 100% activation against the wolves in Forest 1. (64 + 30 - 35) x 1.5 = 88% paralysis chance against wolf

While an Arrest Needle has enough activation to handle anything up to and including the later stuff in Desert. Its activation rate is 100% on EVERY DAMN ENEMY EXCEPT THE MERISSAS. 100% means it does not fail to activate. No enemy (except Del Rappy) has enough EVP to dodge an s-rank needle attack while frozen. They will get paralyzed.

With an S-Rank Arrest Needle, you get:
(80 + 30 - 21) x 1.5 = 100% paralysis chance on Goran
(80 + 30 - 32) x 1.5 = 100% paralysis chance on Pyro Goran
(80 + 30 - 36) x 1.5 = 100% paralysis chance on Goran Detonator
(80 + 30 - 41) x 1.5 = 100% paralysis chance on Girtablulu
(80 + 30 - 45) x 1.5 = 100% paralysis chance on Sand Rappy
(80 + 30 - 58) x 1.5 = 78% paralysis chance against Merissa A, hardest thing to paralyze in EpIV

compared to Spread Needle's ****:
(64 + 30 - 21) x 1.5 = 100% paralysis chance on Goran (don't get used to it)
(64 + 30 - 32) x 1.5 = 93% paralysis chance on Pyro Goran
(64 + 30 - 36) x 1.5 = 87% paralysis chance on Goran Detonator
(64 + 30 - 41) x 1.5 = 79% paralysis chance on Girtablulu
(64 + 30 - 45) x 1.5 = 73% paralysis chance on Sand Rappy (...)
(64 + 30 - 58) x 1.5 = 54% paralysis chance on Merissa A

Conclusion: Spread Needle sucks.

ryopso wrote:

From what I have read, the final success rate of the special is calculated using the following formula:

("Special Success Rate" - "Monster's ESP" + "Class Bonus") x "Unit Bonus" = "Final Success Rate of Special"

Notes:
1. Special Success Rate can be checked here
2. Monster's ESP can be found in the Beastiary section in PSO-World
3. Class Bonus = 30 for Andriod in Ulimate, else = 0
4. Unit Bonus = 1.5 if V501/2 is equipped, else = 1

Example: Using arrest on a monster with 50 ESP with a RAcast in Ult

Special Success Rate: 80
Monster's ESP: 50
Class Bonus: 30

80 - 50 + 30 = 60 (%)

If v501/2 is used:

(80 - 50 + 30) x 1.5 = 90 (%)

Source:
https://sites.google.com/site/psowiki/home/assorted-information
Wow, very nice. Very informative. Appreciate it.

So, I'm second guessing getting a Demon's Needle from you NDW. Wondering if it's still possible to make it an Arrest Needle. Hmm. I really prefer supporting with my RAmar. I know DPS is the meta, but I just can't help but love utility type classes and abilities.

Which should I get?

Arrest Needle is better than Demon's Needle overall. Demon's Needle is nice for some spawns, but brute force (especially on a RAmar) is usually faster, since Demon's Needle is RNG.

How does hit work on a slicer while using sns? Specifically, does it still benefit the second two attacks?

While we're on the topic of S-Rank Arrest Needles...how might someone go about acquiring one of them?

episode 2 challenge mode i believe. or toss someone ~15 pds for a custom needle then throw arrest on it for 50 pds.

Sranks are not cheap. But they are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo worth it.

Back