Post-200 Grind (Level 250)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Guildcard
Make sure you actually read the post before commenting.

So a thing that happens on PSO is that people get to level 200 and then stop playing, because a lot of people don't like "EXP Waste", but they don't want to start all over again on a new character, because that's borink and they want to play their favourite class. 200 doesn't take very long either (relatively, that is), considering the strength of Episode 2/4 EXP alongside the relatively frequent double EXP events.

So we want to propose the following:

A soft level cap of 200, and a hard level cap of 250.

The way this would work is that once you reach level 200, your character will be complete in terms of strength and statistics. Levelling past 200 will not net your character any stat gains, it is simply an optional grind. Once again, there will be absolutely NO stat gains for any levels gained past 200.

Obviously, the EXP required to level past 200 will be rather high (at the very least, at least 5,000,000 EXP per level), and naturally there won't be no rewards either. While we're not 100% sure on what to give the players, the current proposed idea is a point of rare drop rate every other level, meaning at level 202, you get 101% base rare drop rate, level 204 gives you 102% base rare drop rate, and so on and so forth, capping at an extra 25% rare drop rate if you manage to smash the extra level grind. This is subject to change though and there may or may not be other small things too like being able to change your ID or name if you get to a certain point, but don't hold your breath for any of this stuff.

The point of this is to promote people playing their completed characters, instead of just simply quitting since they feel like they're wasting EXP (many players do this, despite not having everything they want in terms of item hunts).

Of course if you get to 250, that's the end of the EXP grind, but you do have a boost on that character meaning it's still more efficient to hunt on them for reasons other than "they kill faster". What you do from then on is entirely up to you.

The main question is: What do the players think of this idea? At the very least we want players to not feel like they're missing out when they hit 200, because while you do earn EXP, it doesn't exactly do anything.

tl;dr: Read the post.

Please keep any discussion civil, thanks. For now this post will serve simply for discussion to gauge what players think of it in general, rather than a poll as the last two topics have been.

Hmmm, maybe add built in character resists instead of rare drop rate? Bout the only "stat gain" I can imagine that wouldn't be anything more than an "extra".

Meh, why not. Though +25% to rare drops seems a little extreme to me, even if it would take a while. How about +1% for every 5 levels?

I wouldn't be opposed to a name or id change, but rdr boost is too unfair for those players who are level 200 or below. It would most likely be frustrating for players looking to transfer from other servers (we seem to have a lot x)
Good hbr's reward people fairly for their grind.
Truthfully if there was a reason I would support this it would mainly be because I know it would benefit me personally, a lot.

Last edited:
Meh, why not. Though +25% to rare drops seems a little extreme to me, even if it would take a while. How about +1% for every 5 levels?
Considering how fucked the drop rates are in this game and how long it would take to gain another 50 levels at 5m or more per level, 25% isn't game breaking at all. Either give a decent incentive to grind it out or don't bother wasting time implementing it at all, that's pretty much how I see it.

Yeah, if no stat boosts whatsoever are gained, then simply making hunts for your other character's easier is a perk used in other games for those who have played an excessive amount. Small rewards usually breed dedication. 25% aint shit.

As long as there are no stat/resist boosts added I don't see a big issue with it.

Edit: Also, 200+ looks ugly as hell in lobby. Maybe give an option to hide it (200) or show it(250) if you want it. I remember stopping my characters at 200 wins because going over looked "off" on a level 200. GOTTA KEEP THOSE DOPE AESTHETICS y0!

Hmm... not a bad idea... I know this issue has been playing for some time now. I would not mind but it would discourage to play a lot of different characters, which I do... I would not mind though and I have 0 200's (although I would have it quickly when this will be implemented since I have 5 lvl 190+).

Thumbs up. I only see benefits from implementing this. The players who have been playing and hunting long enough to reach LV200 totally deserve that rare drop boost, and it would be lovely to see more maxed out players in games.

My only (relatively insignificant) concern that I have is, if every two levels added a 1% boost, that each odd-numbered level (201, 203, etc) would not be as fulfilling, especially when you consider the exp required to gain these levels. I understand it may not be possible to add 0.5% per level, and 1% per level up to a total of 50% might be a bit too much, but having to level up twice to see a return for your efforts would render your odd-numbered level ups nearly devoid of excitement, that type of excitement being an important part of leveling up in any game.

I don't know if its possible (i am not a programmer) but instead of going beyond 200 you could make another levelable category, something like "hunter mastery" or 'hunter rank" which would serve the same purpose without messing with the level 200 label.

Said category of course would only start after the character hits lv.200 and it would show at the lobby using tab just as c-mode rank, battle stats, etc.

That was just an idea. I am barely looking towards my first lv200, so i won't stand with or against this.

Reactions: Mad
I like the idea proposed in the op, if only to have some goal to move towards. Since I only play solo, and not very much at that.

If this actually happens, please add a command like /stoplevel so that people who just want that nice and clean "200" there (instead of a 201, 202, and so on) or stay "vanilla" (that's some BIG quotation marks, don't worry) can keep their level 200 character.

2 thumbs up, and 2 big toes up! This is a wonderful idea!!!

I like the idea of /stoplevel for those who don't want to do it.

I don't think the prestige idea is all that great because it involves losing all your stat gains and having a bunch of equipment you can't use until you re-level. (No offense, Reason, I think it's good in theory, but not in practice.)

Also, regarding this being "unfair" to characters under level 200, the same argument could be stated with a Lv. 200 cap, that the game is "unfair" to those who are under 200 because those at 200 are generally stronger.

A RDR increase of 25% going to take AT LEAST 250 million additional experience points, so at this point, they've earned it.

Please make this a thing. I have 4x Level 200s and no desire to make more. I would love an alternate way to advance!

I disagree with additional resists because that would make equipment decisions easier. Those should not change, nor should stats. RDR increase is rewarding enough.

@Matt : Can we do a poll for this? :D

Edit: Oh, you said no poll was intentional. Gotcha ;)

Last edited:
2 thumbs up, and 2 big toes up! This is a wonderful idea!!!

I like the idea of /stoplevel for those who don't want to do it.

I don't think the prestige idea is all that great because it involves losing all your stat gains and having a bunch of equipment you can't use until you re-level. (No offense, Reason, I think it's good in theory, but not in practice.)

Also, regarding this being "unfair" to characters under level 200, the same argument could be stated with a Lv. 200 cap, that the game is "unfair" to those who are under 200 because those at 200 are generally stronger.

A RDR increase of 25% going to take AT LEAST 250 million additional experience points, so at this point, they've earned it.

Please make this a thing. I have 4x Level 200s and no desire to make more. I would love an alternate way to advance!

The only reason why I like the prestige system more is because you don't have to have an ugly lv250 beside your name.

It is flawed either way, also I would prefer if it were a hidden thing.
Like you had to talk to an NPC to see what "Level" you are currently at sort of like HBR.

Make it like eden, prestige (reset level to 1) to get bonus drop rate, or something?
Just have name colour change based on how many times you reset.
Added levels is literally ugly.

Eden's system is a bit OP, but making it more balanced would make more sense.
http://forum.edenserv.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2543

I held back commenting earlier to see if anyone else would throw out an Eden comment.
Prestiging there was totally optional, and not many actually did it.
Added incentive of prestiging the 2 ranks (Advanced and Elite) were Celestial Saber at LV200 of Advanced

Celestial Saber (0/0/0/0|0)
"A [double] saber imbued with the power of the heavens."
Uses Double Saber animation, but can hit up to three targets
ATP: +613
MST: +50
ATA: +60
Special: Unreduced Geist
Class: Double Saber
Required ATP: 580
Required Rank: Advanced
Stars: 12 Stars
Perks: 2x Jellen and Zalure

and Heart of Coral at LV200 of Elite, the highest one could level.

HEART OF CORAL DFP: 0 EVP: 0
"Commissioned by the Ten Nation Alliance during a time of relative prosperity on Coral. Shows the bearer to be the champion of Pioneer II."
ATP: +30
DFP: +287
MST: +30
ATA: +30
EVP: +265
LCK: +30
EFR: +15
EIC: +15
ETH: +15
EDK: +40
ELT: +40
Class: Shield
Lv Needed: 200
Required Rank: Elite
Perks: Shifta, Deband and Resta range are doubled.

There was also +10% to tekking upon prestiging each rank, so Elite ranks could tek +20%.

Take from all of this what you will, I'm not saying any of this should be implemented (though HoC was so damn cool lol) I'm just gonna keep reading what everyone has to say.

Last edited:
I held back commenting earlier to see if anyone else would throw out an Eden comment.
Prestiging there was totally optional, and not many actually did it.
Added incentive of prestiging the 2 ranks (Advanced and Elite) were Celestial Saber at LV200 of Advanced

Celestial Saber (0/0/0/0|0)
"A [double] saber imbued with the power of the heavens."
Uses Double Saber animation, but can hit up to three targets
ATP: +613
MST: +50
ATA: +60
Special: Unreduced Geist
Class: Double Saber
Required ATP: 580
Required Rank: Advanced
Perks: 2x Jellen and Zalure

and Heart of Coral at LV200 of Elite, the highest one could level.

HEART OF CORAL DFP: 0 EVP: 0
"Commissioned by the Ten Nation Alliance during a time of relative prosperity on Coral. Shows the bearer to be the champion of Pioneer II."
ATP: +30
DFP: +287
MST: +30
ATA: +30
EVP: +265
LCK: +30
EFR: +15
EIC: +15
ETH: +15
EDK: +40
ELT: +40
Class: Shield
Lv Needed: 200
Required Rank: Elite
Perks: Shifta, Deband and Resta range are doubled.

There was also +5% to tekking upon prestiging each rank, so Elite ranks could tek +20%.

Take from all of this what you will, I'm not saying any of this should be implemented (though HoC was so damn cool lol) I'm just gonna keep reading what everyone has to say.

I think a less good version of this, just like better drop rate would be pretty good in my opinion.
Materials shouldn't be reset though after prestige, and exp should remain 1x.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back