Play PSOBB on Mac OS X V2.0 *UPDATED* 2019

EDIT UPDATE: My version no longer works as I suspected. Time to do some clean up and investigate a new process or a rehash of the old. Wish me luck!

Wow, I am amazed that this thread is still going that's awesome! I have been away from this for couple years since I managed to get this running for me and seemed to help others as well. Seems like there is some quirks between systems and at time of writing this guide I was on El Capitan and still am as I have no reason to upgrade and I am still holding off on Mojave update purely for compatibility. For those that are/were trying to run this on Sierra OSX, this guide was purely meant for El Capitan and the OSX version I mentioned. It should work with newer OS but I wouldn't be surprised if a newer version broke the guide as it is a workaround and not an official, stable fix and I am not by any means a code genius.

If homebrew is not working for some it is possible there has been some updates (most likely has) and/or some pathing/commands have changed and my doc will no longer be relevant or there is something else causing an issue. But also sounds like some updates to wine have occurred as well and it seems to have made the install and use of PSO much easier? I have the PSO itch again and want to play so I will test my version and see how it goes. I'm also considering jumping up to Mojave but with a clean install as to remove all the homebrew code and ruby gems embedded in my system and because I like starting an OS from scratch clean.

I will aim to try and update this guide if possible and also test a fresh round on Mojave once I get the prep work done for the upgrade. It might be simpler as some posters have had a decent experience with new versions of wine it seems. Please keep posting here of any findings new and returning players because there is no official Mac support and we as a community have to help each other to create that support to enjoy this awesome game. I will do my best to update this section as I do some research and testing.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Anybody know if this setup still works?

If so, would it work for older versions of the Mac Operating System? (I use Sierra)
Also, would it work for newer versions of wine, or would I have to have version 3.0.4?

Should work on Sierra and I would use latest wine version. I haven't tested on Sierra as I skipped that OS all together so if you are successful or not, please let us all know!

Hey, I'm running Mojave 10.14.5. I was able to install and patch correctly, but the game is stuck on "Connection in Progress. Please wait...". Antivirus is off and I was able to patch, so internet is not a problem. Is it possible Wine is not compatible with the newest OS? Let me know if there is a possible solution.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 4.11.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 4.11.16 PM.png
    924.5 KB · Views: 7
Hey, I managed to get it up and running in my MacBook Pro early 2011 spec. I do notice that the fans run quite loudly whilst the game runs, even on the lowest graphic settings... Is normal? Anybody else experienced this? If so, Will it damage my mac?

Wow, thanks! I really needed this! Got excited about pso2 and thought I'd try and find a pso server and found Ephinea, but since im on Mac i was worried.

Gonna try this asap

Bit late, but yes, it will! I originally played using an Xbox One Mini controller - I now use a Wii U Pro controller, but I have to use a USB dongle to fool macOS into thinking it's an Xbox controller.

Also, word of warning: the upcoming new version of macOS will probably break PSOBB. macOS will no longer run 32-bit apps, which includes wine. There is a 64-bit version of wine but a lot of applications are not functional on it and probably never will be; I have no idea if PSOBB is one of them without installing wine64 and testing.

So, fellow Mac users, I wouldn't rush to upgrade once the shiny new macOS is out. I'm hoping to do some testing to see if PSOBB functions normally on wine64 at some point soon.

Hi all, this is my first post. I just wanted to throw this question out there: does anyone know how to use ReShade or other graphics modifications if we are using wine? I put the files in the directory, but it doesn't work..... unless I'm doing it incorectly (I'm using PlayOnMac but its using Wine of course). Ive been playing around with it but can't get it to work. Here are some information treasure troves for others trying to figure it out:

The ReShader Mod itself, however installing any mod would be nice
https://www.phantasystaronline.net/...-reshade-for-psobb-201-new-cinematic-presets/
https://www.pioneer2.net/community/threads/reshade-for-psobb.10353/

Wine Forum Post about using d3d8.dll
https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=4068

Reddit post about using ReShade in wine
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/b2hi3g/reshade_working_in_wine_43/

It would be cool to implement this as its funny right now the only way to use it is by installing it in Parallels, but my frame rate takes a hit with Windows emulation.

Last edited:
Hi all, this is my first post. I just wanted to throw this question out there: does anyone know how to use ReShade or other graphics modifications if we are using wine? I put the files in the directory, but it doesn't work..... unless I'm doing it incorectly (I'm using PlayOnMac but its using Wine of course). Ive been playing around with it but can't get it to work. Here are some information treasure troves for others trying to figure it out:

The ReShader Mod itself, however installing any mod would be nice
https://www.phantasystaronline.net/...-reshade-for-psobb-201-new-cinematic-presets/
https://www.pioneer2.net/community/threads/reshade-for-psobb.10353/

Wine Forum Post about using d3d8.dll
https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=4068

Reddit post about using ReShade in wine
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/b2hi3g/reshade_working_in_wine_43/

It would be cool to implement this as its funny right now the only way to use it is by installing it in Parallels, but my frame rate takes a hit with Windows emulation.

Hey there! I have been away from this forum for a very long time. I tend to check in once and a while though. I do not know anything about what you have listed or your intent? Are you looking to runt he game on a specific OS?

Hey, I managed to get it up and running in my MacBook Pro early 2011 spec. I do notice that the fans run quite loudly whilst the game runs, even on the lowest graphic settings... Is normal? Anybody else experienced this? If so, Will it damage my mac?

Hey, thanks for reaching out and I am intrigued and impressed you got it running on an older Mac. Couple questions, do your fans ramp up on any other program or only running PSO? I have a mid 2012 MBP and my fans will ramp on the simplest of applications. I think it has to do with the design of the Mac and its throttled hardware and design. But the program could very well be causing the fans to ramp up and as for damage? I would never rule it out but I Have run ARK on this mac and it burns up my fans and the mac gets quite hot. Still doing fine but I try to avoid doing it unless I can cool it with an external fan or cooling pad. My fans aren't going currently but just browsing chrome is making my mac into a hot pan of metal which is probably due to the poor heat dispersion these things have.

Also keep in mind, anything you do with your computer is at your own risk.

Hey, thanks for reaching out and I am intrigued and impressed you got it running on an older Mac. Couple questions, do your fans ramp up on any other program or only running PSO? I have a mid 2012 MBP and my fans will ramp on the simplest of applications. I think it has to do with the design of the Mac and its throttled hardware and design. But the program could very well be causing the fans to ramp up and as for damage? I would never rule it out but I Have run ARK on this mac and it burns up my fans and the mac gets quite hot. Still doing fine but I try to avoid doing it unless I can cool it with an external fan or cooling pad. My fans aren't going currently but just browsing chrome is making my mac into a hot pan of metal which is probably due to the poor heat dispersion these things have.

Also keep in mind, anything you do with your computer is at your own risk.

Hey! Really sorry for delayed reply! I've found my Macbook runs really hot with any form of gaming and the fan gets pretty loud and the temp gets up quite high. Strangely, I do some video editing on it with Adobe Premiere Pro and that doesn't seem to set the fans off as much as PSO or even playing games like Counter Strike Source... Really wish I had a Windows just for PSO but the mac is my only option at the moment.

This no longer works! But I posted an updated thread with how to use porting kit to install Ephinea. Works very easily!

portingkit.com

Hey friends!

Brand new here, but thought I'd update you on this. I recently got a new M1 macbook air - and using CrossOver, PSOBB just... works. Boot up CrossOver, install, choose the Ephinea exe from within CrossOver, done. I have a screenshot showing all the things. Enjoy, new mac owners!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 11.14.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 11.14.53 PM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 26
Back