Play PSOBB on Mac OS X V2.0 *UPDATED* 2019

I am happy that Eidolon's fix is working, I have homebrew installed with wine and what not so it won't work just out of the box for me. But it did fix the shader issues when I ran it through wine.

Hi @Eidolon @Omerion do either of you have the Ephinea PSO BB app bundle available for download?

EDIT: Successfully installed the client, but once a character is selected and it attempts to connect to the server, the game crashes? Can anybody help?

Currently on macOS Sierra.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I know nothing about mac, but if you can try wine 2.0, it might help you out.
Wine added the patch (generic one for a few games including pso) to staging 1.9.X (I don't remember which revision it was exactly, maybe .6) but in 2.0 it should be already in.

i tried running the link required to download Homebrew but it doesnt work. I get an error....

ruby -e “$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)”

-e:1:in `<main>': undefined local variable or method `“' for main:Object (NameError)

It's because there are smart quotes (“ and ”, vs. " and ") in the command in the guide, and Terminal runs into an error trying to digest the first smart quote. I was able to reproduce the exact same error, but replacing the smart quotes with regular quotes fixes it. Try this instead:

ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"

If you have any other troubles, PM me since I've gotten pretty good at troubleshooting PSOBB on macOS. ^^

I ran into this issue. I tried both WineBottler and Wineskin, but couldn't get either to work. The WineBottler version would get to character selection, but would crash when trying to enter a server. The Wineskin version wouldn't run at all.

I decided to try using wine from the CLI. I installed Wine 2.0 with homebrew and tried to run the installer, but I kept getting this error:

Code:
$ wine Ephinea_PSOBB_Installer.exe
err:x11drv:process_attach failed to load libX11.6.dylib: dlopen(libX11.6.dylib, 266): image not found
fixme:file:SetDefaultDllDirectories (c00): stub
err:winediag:nulldrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
err:winediag:nulldrv_CreateWindow Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.

The important part is "failed to load libX11.6.dylib". I looked into it bit, and came across this post: http://wine.1045685.n8.nabble.com/Wine-inside-Xephyr-on-OSX-td5882749.html

Turns out that the SIP (System Integrity Protection) starting with El Capitan (which is what I'm running) causes issues. See the thread for more details. Following advice on that page, I was able to get the installer to run with:

Code:
DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/X11/lib:/usr/lib wine Ephinea_PSOBB_Installer.exe

The installer ran fine. Similarly, I was able to run the game with:

Code:
DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/X11/lib:/usr/lib wine .wine/drive_c/users/echosa/EphineaPSO/online.exe

Of course, that path to online.exe will be different. I was able to get past the character selection screen screen and into a server. I ran around for a bit then quit, because it was late and I was tired. :p I assume if I made it that far, though, that the game should work fine.

Having to type all that DYLD_FALLBACK stuff is a pain, though, so I added the following line to my .profile:

Code:
alias pso="DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/X11/lib:/usr/lib wine .wine/drive_c/users/echosa/EphineaPSO/online.exe"

That allows me to open up a terminal and just from "pso" from anywhere to run the game. Makes things much eaiser. I recommend setting up such an alias for convenience. Make sure to use something else if you already have a program called "pso" on your path for some reason. Type "ps" followed immediately by TAB a couple of times (no space after "ps") and check the output for "pso". If you see it there already, name your alias something else.

Anyway, I just wanted to document my findings. It was frustrating trying to get it to work and seeing all these solutions with "thanks it worked!" replied. Turns out: no need for copying or building DLLs. I don't think I even needed any winetricks, either. Just grab the installer exe, install wine 2, and use the DYLD_FALLBACK stuff to install and play. Hopefully this helps others get the game working.

Hello all! I have some good news for Mac OS X users who want to play PSOBB. I found a tutorial online about running Windows programs on OS X with Wine and Homebrew, gave it a try and I have been happily playing on the Ephinea server crash/lag free. The only quirk is a shader isn't loading proper but it is not game breaking, you can still see all the textures and lighting fine. The source tutorial itself is easy enough to understand and is pretty straight forward if you are familiar with navigating around your Mac via Terminal with command lines.

The PDF guide I compiled is sourced from the tutorial I used as well as my own input to make it more user friendly for people who are not comfortable with Terminal or for people who find the source material confusing. I tried to make it as straight forward as possible and hopefully easier to understand.

Feedback on the guide is always welcome as I am sure I can improve it as needed. Also any questions anyone may have I will try my best to help. It should be noted I have only been running PSO with this set up for the last 4 days now, so I am still testing it and seeing how it holds up. So far so good! Just be weary when setting resolutions from the launcher, some settings will crash the game if you go too large. Keep it moderate ;)

Good luck

UPDATE: Since this was originally posted, I have been running crash free so far even with server updates.
This is amazing and I LOVE YOU FOREVER FOR IT. I've been trying to get my buddy online (we bought the game together on GC back in the day) but he only uses Mac, I think together we can get him on Ephinea.

I'd love to get this working, but unfortunately haven't managed it yet. Has anyone tried it on Mac OS 10.13.x?

I keep getting this when trying to run wine online.exe
Its been so frustrating all I wanna do is play PSOBB D: And its been hours trying to get it to work up to this point

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 11.0px Menlo; color: #000000; background-color: #ffffff} span.s1 {font-variant-ligatures: no-common-ligatures}

Last login: Wed Jan 31 22:31:06 on ttys000

Jesses-MBP:EphineaPSO jesse$ wine online.exe

004a:fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" (6.0.0.0)

004a:fixme:ntdll:EtwEventRegister ({5eec90ab-c022-44b2-a5dd-fd716a222a15}, 0xe21123, 0xe6a120, 0xe6a138) stub.

004a:fixme:ntdll:EtwEventSetInformation (deadbeef, 2, 0xe67058, 43) stub

004a:err:eek:le:CoGetClassObject class {bcde0395-e52f-467c-8e3d-c4579291692e} not registered

004a:err:eek:le:CoGetClassObject no class object {bcde0395-e52f-467c-8e3d-c4579291692e} could be created for context 0x1

004a:err:dsound:get_mmdevenum CoCreateInstance failed: 80040154

004a:fixme:heap:RtlCompactHeap (0x110000, 0x0) stub

004a:fixme:wininet:query_global_option Stub for 6

004a:err:eek:le:CoGetClassObject class {8856f961-340a-11d0-a96b-00c04fd705a2} not registered

004a:err:eek:le:CoGetClassObject no class object {8856f961-340a-11d0-a96b-00c04fd705a2} could be created for context 0x1

wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000290 at address 0x3a4f31 (thread 004a), starting debugger...

004a:err:seh:start_debugger Couldn't start debugger ("winedbg --auto 73 308") (2)

Read the Wine Developers Guide on how to set up winedbg or another debugger

x

Last edited:
I keep getting this when trying to run wine online.exe
Its been so frustrating all I wanna do is play PSOBB D: And its been hours trying to get it to work up to this point

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 11.0px Menlo; color: #000000; background-color: #ffffff} span.s1 {font-variant-ligatures: no-common-ligatures}

Last login: Wed Jan 31 22:31:06 on ttys000

Jesses-MBP:EphineaPSO jesseaylsworth$ wine online.exe

004a:fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" (6.0.0.0)

004a:fixme:ntdll:EtwEventRegister ({5eec90ab-c022-44b2-a5dd-fd716a222a15}, 0xe21123, 0xe6a120, 0xe6a138) stub.

004a:fixme:ntdll:EtwEventSetInformation (deadbeef, 2, 0xe67058, 43) stub

004a:err:eek:le:CoGetClassObject class {bcde0395-e52f-467c-8e3d-c4579291692e} not registered

004a:err:eek:le:CoGetClassObject no class object {bcde0395-e52f-467c-8e3d-c4579291692e} could be created for context 0x1

004a:err:dsound:get_mmdevenum CoCreateInstance failed: 80040154

004a:fixme:heap:RtlCompactHeap (0x110000, 0x0) stub

004a:err:eek:le:CoGetClassObject class {8856f961-340a-11d0-a96b-00c04fd705a2} not registered

004a:err:eek:le:CoGetClassObject no class object {8856f961-340a-11d0-a96b-00c04fd705a2} could be created for context 0x1

wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000290 at address 0x3a4f31 (thread 004a), starting debugger...

004a:err:seh:start_debugger Couldn't start debugger ("winedbg --auto 73 308") (2)

Read the Wine Developers Guide on how to set up winedbg or another debugger

x
Looks like you almost got there, let me do some digging....

So I ended up getting it to work.
I installed Playonmac and ran the program through it. Have had zero problems so far.

For some reason homebrew wasn't working. I'm able to getting it working quite easily by downloading wine from here: https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/macosx/download.html

From there I followed the same steps in the pdf from the original post after installing wine.

Still requires usage of the terminal, but I'm quite familiar with it anyways.

Happy to report that wine stable 3.0 works with no modifications. Played for a couple hours without any issues (terminal reports some shader issues, but didn’t seem to affect anything)

Back