Play PSOBB on Mac OS X V2.0 *UPDATED* 2019

Hey friends!

Brand new here, but thought I'd update you on this. I recently got a new M1 macbook air - and using CrossOver, PSOBB just... works. Boot up CrossOver, install, choose the Ephinea exe from within CrossOver, done. I have a screenshot showing all the things. Enjoy, new mac owners!

Thanks Katie for sharing this! I installed with CrossOver and get the DLL ERROR message when in the game client. Usually this is related to anti-virus, did you have to do anything to whitelist this?

EDIT: I was able to fix it by installing as a Windows XP bottle rather than Windows 10 which I tried originally. Thank you again for sharing!

Last edited:
Thanks Katie for sharing this! I installed with CrossOver and get the DLL ERROR message when in the game client. Usually this is related to anti-virus, did you have to do anything to whitelist this?

EDIT: I was able to fix it by installing as a Windows XP bottle rather than Windows 10 which I tried originally. Thank you again for sharing!
I have attempted with Windows XP bottle and I'm still getting this DLL ERROR. I am on MacOS Big Sur (Intel i7) running CrossOver 21.2 with an XP bottle.

Any ideas?

I'm getting the DLL ERROR as well. I am on MacOS Monterery (M1) running CrossOver 22.0 with an Windows XP 64-bit bottle. Please help I really want to play this game again ;(

I don’t really care that much about supporting people who choose to not run the game on native Windows, but I will tell you one thing.

Don’t use Windows XP anything, especially not 64 bit. Windows XP is not officially supported by this server anymore. (You should NOT be playing an online game on a Windows XP rig, emulated or otherwise, anyway.)

Even though staxxx got it going back in May, with the recent updates to the launcher and some API usage in the DLL, I cannot guarantee the game will run on Windows XP anymore.

For sure the launcher won’t due to the .NET Framework version required for it. And with the graphical updates and other things added since then, I can only say Windows 7 or higher will work for sure.

Thanks for the heads up Sodaboy. I tried to use MacOS Monterery (M1) running CrossOver 22.0 with Windows 7 (32 bit) and Windows 8 (32 bit) bottles... but no success. I might need to buy a PC with windows at this point unless someone knows how to get CrossOver to run the game correctly.

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to let everyone know that I can also get the game to work via Crossover and via Porting Kit (easier installation via CrossOver) and am ending up at the same place as others here with a DLL error. I'm also unable to figure out a way to get this to work. Mac OS Monterey running CrossOver 22.0 with a Windows 10 - 64 bit bottle on my M1 Mac mini.

Would love to play this on my Mac as I use it for everything else and tend not to use my Windows computer.

I was previously unable to get this working too, but simply downloading the latest version of the client linked in the OP here was able to get PSOBB running on my Mac again, patches and all.

I’ve been fiddling with PSOBB this evening using crossover on my M1 Max MBP to reasonable success so thought I’d share what I did. It has been my first time using crossover, and I am currently still using the trial. I have found that the DLL errors happen on the 64 bit windows bottles. With this in mind I’ve found that windows 10 32-bit is the best bottle to use. On top of that, switching on DXVK for the bottle in crossover and setting the PSOBB client to run using Direct3D 11 allowed for the game to run in a stable condition with no graphical issues or crashes so far. The only issue I’ve found is that the default draw distance can cause the frame rate to tank in places. It’s strange because the game runs fine at high resolutions, with antialiasing and filters etc. But it doesn’t matter what resolution it’s set at, certain parts of the forest area that load the dome and waterfall on screen in the distance can cause massive slowdown and performance issues and I’ve not found a solution so far other than to reduce the “map” slider in the more setting in the PSOBB client. This resolves 95% of the issue, but it’s also a shame that as a result the draw distance is much worse that when I used to play on my Dreamcast. It doesn’t really affect the gameplay though and I’m sure there’s some more tweaking I can do to get it working a bit better. Regardless, it’s been great revisiting the game again.

I’ve been fiddling with PSOBB this evening using crossover on my M1 Max MBP to reasonable success so thought I’d share what I did. It has been my first time using crossover, and I am currently still using the trial. I have found that the DLL errors happen on the 64 bit windows bottles. With this in mind I’ve found that windows 10 32-bit is the best bottle to use. On top of that, switching on DXVK for the bottle in crossover and setting the PSOBB client to run using Direct3D 11 allowed for the game to run in a stable condition with no graphical issues or crashes so far. The only issue I’ve found is that the default draw distance can cause the frame rate to tank in places. It’s strange because the game runs fine at high resolutions, with antialiasing and filters etc. But it doesn’t matter what resolution it’s set at, certain parts of the forest area that load the dome and waterfall on screen in the distance can cause massive slowdown and performance issues and I’ve not found a solution so far other than to reduce the “map” slider in the more setting in the PSOBB client. This resolves 95% of the issue, but it’s also a shame that as a result the draw distance is much worse that when I used to play on my Dreamcast. It doesn’t really affect the gameplay though and I’m sure there’s some more tweaking I can do to get it working a bit better. Regardless, it’s been great revisiting the game again.
Hey, have you managed to fix the drops ? I'm running a Macbook Air 15" M2 16gb ram, game works great but when there is more than 5 players in lobby the fps drop massively

Back