Infinite /modname (more or less)

Would you like to change the name of one or several characters of yours?

• Yes I do.

Votes: 77 64.2%
  • Not now, but I might in the future.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • No.

Votes: 18 15.0%

• Total voters
I like my character names. But I wouldn't mind having the option to change them full time.

It's pretty obvious the whole community wants this feature.
I wonder why the hesitation, I guess having a 1 month lock on a character's name change would make it less abuseable.

One could argue that 49 people isn't the whole community.

Either way it will be considered.

A monthly /modsecid would be cool too, but I could see that having greater ramifications than a name change.

It's pretty obvious the whole community wants this feature.
I wonder why the hesitation, I guess having a 1 month lock on a character's name change would make it less abuseable.
I think you're forgetting that it doesn't actually matter what the community wants. Sure, people can propose things here and people can chime in with their opinion on the matter, but, ultimately, this is server doesn't actually belong to the community. It belongs to tofuman and myself. We make the final decision. Even if 1 million people wanted something, if I was vehemently against it, it wouldn't get implemented.

So, yeah, there is no "hesitation". None of you control my hand.

I think you're forgetting that it doesn't actually matter what the community wants. Sure, people can propose things here and people can chime in with their opinion on the matter, but, ultimately, this is server doesn't actually belong to the community. It belongs to tofuman and myself. We make the final decision. Even if 1 million people wanted something, if I was vehemently against it, it wouldn't get implemented.

So, yeah, there is no "hesitation". None of you control my hand.

I'm surprised that you guys are against a simple QOL change that really has no negative effect on the game.
Oh well, I guess I'll have to level another character.

I'm surprised that you guys are against a simple QOL change that really has no negative affect on the game.
Again, you keep jumping to conclusions.

First with saying we're "hesitating" to implement something. To hesitate would imply that a decision has been made to move forward, but we're not moving forward for a reason. There was no decision made.

Second, you saying we are "against a simple QOL change". Refer to the first part where I said "there was no decision made".

Go level that character.

Can we please forget about Revision thinking he's the server owner for a minute?

I made this thread mainly because after more than two years of Ephinea's experience, I noticed that some of my chars I don't play anymore simply because I don't like their names... I'm very stupid but I have somekind of OCD I guess, and it strongly bothers me and affects my sleep even. My doctor gave me medications to help but it just doesn't work.
"God, why did I choose such shitty names and why can't I change them?" I asked.
"Zen, I have no power on that matter" He said "You have to ask Sodaboy and Tofuman directly." (I made that part up, he didn't answer.)
So yeah, I have chars that I already leveled, are fully mated and I kinda don't want to remake just because I dislike their names. It's of course a very selfish suggestion and I can see what the drawbacks are if it's not wisely limited in the time, but I'm sure I'm not the only one that lost his sleep over a poor name's choice...

Help us, mighty Admins. I love you all for your hard work and your dedication towards a better Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst. Make it even greater.

Last edited:
I just wanna change all my .beat chars to Chono cause I feel like I can only play those guys on even beats...

The even beats... have betrayed me!

I would say once a year, with a 24 hour window to change your name would be perfect. If you don't change all your characters names within that 24 hours, then you're SOL and have to wait another year for mod name privilege :lenny:

My only concern with it would be whether or not the section ID would change. I know that, with /modname how it is right now, changing your character's name ALSO causes the game to recalculate your section ID unless you're already used /modsecid (in which case the character's name can be changed without altering the section ID). I have a few characters who I would change the name of if I felt like it (mostly removing symbols/numbers I used when I made them without /modsecid), but all of them are above level 20 and I never used /modsecid on them (since I got the sec ID I wanted with them anyway). So if this function were to mess with the sec IDs I have set up, I'd definitely be on the fence about that.

I'm surprised that you guys are against a simple QOL change that really has no negative effect on the game.
There's already so many QOL changes in place, I think you almost feel entitled to them... do you forget that by Segas way, if you accidentally used the wrong material, you were just stuck with it? Or that you had to pipe out and run to the counter to quit and go to lobby?

The server isn't old enough for you to have outgrown a name. I mean hell, when I first started playing PSO 17 years ago, I thought it was cool to call myself Satan. Would I love a name change if I still had that? Absolutely, I'm 30 now ffs, but that isn't the case. You made a mistake, you can either live with it, or remake another, or hope that the admins make a change that would help, but your hostile approach against those who are THE ONES PAYING FOR AND WORKING ON the game you play, is pretty... shortsighted.

Plz, this mustnt end like this. We can just suggest and ask for and the staff will consider it as they said, but plz dont talk about hostilitys in this thread, this is not the atmosphere we want on ephinea right? Im sure Reason might have been disappointed but being hostile? Lets hope the besti i would vote for the possibility to rename each char once of course including already existing chars. enjoy your time here and dont get wrinkles people !~

There's already so many QOL changes in place, I think you almost feel entitled to them... do you forget that by Segas way, if you accidentally used the wrong material, you were just stuck with it? Or that you had to pipe out and run to the counter to quit and go to lobby?

The server isn't old enough for you to have outgrown a name. I mean hell, when I first started playing PSO 17 years ago, I thought it was cool to call myself Satan. Would I love a name change if I still had that? Absolutely, I'm 30 now ffs, but that isn't the case. You made a mistake, you can either live with it, or remake another, or hope that the admins make a change that would help, but your hostile approach against those who are THE ONES PAYING FOR AND WORKING ON the game you play, is pretty... shortsighted.
I wonder who's taking the hostile approach now?
:)

I would like to see this happen soon. I didn't know about the mod name before it was too late and well level 20 came and went and now I have a char named CarnagE. OCD LIKE A MOTHERFUCKER
You just pronounce it like Carnegie, don't view it is a typo!

Back