"High stress" gameplay and solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the intent - a tangible, PSO, non-hacky-feeling cost to blocking healing and being able to use DF/triggers perfectly with no interference. HUcasts max out with three units anyway.

Reactions: Ade
That's the intent - a tangible, PSO, non-hacky-feeling cost to blocking healing and being able to use DF/triggers perfectly with no interference. HUcasts max out with three units anyway.

Yep, and this game IS called HUcast Star Online, so that makes sense :lenny:

I'm sorry that not being healed gives you anxiety. But, my perception is totally different. I find that most open games I have joined have people healing. So, I can't really get on board with making many changes based on a problem I don't think exists.

And, why do you seem to believe that playing HUcast, and the meta REVOLVES AROUND ONE ITEM. This is patently false, DF is not some thing that is applicable to every scenario nor does it "one shot everything". You are honestly probably making things worse, people might read this and think that is what they are supposed to as do a HUcast.

I am 100% fine with adding something like Negate/Heal if this is really this much of an issue for so many people.

My only advice would be to pride yourself on how little you are hit, instead of how little you die. That way you won't need the FOs heals if somebody is DFing.

Last edited:
I'm sorry that not being healed gives you anxiety. But, my perception is totally different. I find that most open games I have joined have people healing. So, I can't really get on board with making many changes based on a problem I don't think exists.

And, why do you seem to believe that playing HUcast, and the meta REVOLVES AROUND ONE ITEM. This is patently false, DF is not some thing that is applicable to every scenario not does it "one shot everything". You are honestly probably making things worse, people might read this and think that is what they are supposed to as do a HUcast.

I am 100% fine with adding something like Negate/Heal if this is really this much of an issue for so many people.

My only advice would be to pride yourself on how little you are hit, instead of how little you die. That way you won't need the FOs heals if somebody is DFing.

If nothing ever changed I have enough skill to operate in a DF, no heal environment. I just don't enjoy it. I realize that DF is not used on every single spawn, but it's used often enough that there are plenty of quests where the HUcast prefers to stay at low HP for the majority of the run.

Edit: At no point would any of this have been construed as advice for a newer player. No new player is going to read through all of this. That's...ugh.

Last edited:
Just so it’s on the record I am heavily against a negate unit. It goes far beyond the “vanilla with sprinkles” thing. It’s whole purpose can be achieved by simply being better and taking away yet another aspect of this game that requires a tiny bit of thought is lame. Timers in quests have already been flipped to count up instead of down on hard quests. Not everything should be “easy”. Pretty much this entire post can be boiled down to: just play better. It’s not hard and doesn’t require 1/10th of the focus/energy being claimed. It’s not Ephineas fault you wanna play this game with one and hand or whatever.

Timers in quests have already been flipped to count up instead of down on hard quests. Not everything should be “easy”.
This was done for a completely different reason and has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Negate/Heal doesn't make the game any easier, just less annoying for certain people, and it definitely doesn't go beyond vanilla+.

Just so it’s on the record I am heavily against a negate unit. It goes far beyond the “vanilla with sprinkles” thing. It’s whole purpose can be achieved by simply being better and taking away yet another aspect of this game that requires a tiny bit of thought is lame. Timers in quests have already been flipped to count up instead of down on hard quests. Not everything should be “easy”. Pretty much this entire post can be boiled down to: just play better. It’s not hard and doesn’t require 1/10th of the focus/energy being claimed. It’s not Ephineas fault you wanna play this game with one and hand or whatever.

Jesus, dude. I know things got a bit heated earlier but this is uncalled for. Take that attitude somewhere else.

what i don't get is why we made the suggestions board read-only

when we could open it back up and shunt threads like this back there

heck let's just make it so ade can only post there

what i don't get is why we made the suggestions board read-only

when we could open it back up and shunt threads like this back there

heck let's just make it so ade can only post there

A fair point. I wasn't thinking of this as a suggestion topic ONLY, though. It was more a critique of how the playstyle on this server has shifted so far off base. The suggestion itself was already suggested by an Admin in the past and is not my own.

Of course, anytime you ever say "I wish X wasn't this way" you're wishing it was some other way, so the suggestion is implied even if not stated.

That would mean that anytime anyone has an opinion about ANYTHING including phrases like "I wish" or "It ought to be," it could be construed as a suggestion. So I guess we should turn the Thought Police against them?

I think the removal of the suggestion forum was to eliminate frivolous or unrealistic suggestions, which ran amok. This is neither. This is a critique of the general playstyle on the server becoming downright hostile toward people who just want to play the game normally, and it brought to the forefront something that was already previously suggested by someone who has a lot more pull than me (Matt).

Haters aside, some very valuable perspectives were shared with this, and I conceded on several points.

Furthermore, your stating that I shouldn't be suggesting anything is IN ITSELF a suggestion, so ur banned kthx. (j/k)

Last edited:
So far I'm more on board with what Alisaryn said than anyone else. I'm completely fine with either playstyle. Though I absolutely do not like playing with DF (myself), I'm willing to make a decision when I want to care about a DF player or not, and ultimately, it comes down to attitude. I'm much more willing to adapt my playstyle in certain boundaries if the DF user isn't a ****, and it goes the other way too.

What I find fun in cooperative games like these in publike environments are the differences in how I can play with others. The reason I don't like using the DF most of the time is because how exceedingly less useful it becomes when partied with people who do not play around it, but that doesn't necessarily mean I have to dislike their playstyle. Obviously if I were to go that route, than I am not being the one compatible here if I keep using the thing. But on the other spectrum, DF offers an interesting playstyle that I honestly think would be counterproductive to intervene. As the discussion has proven, you cannot take such a decision lightly no matter how logical it may sound for some.

We're certainly at this point where people kind of already gave their two cents already (we are beginning to sound like broken records), so for now, I think Ade has one solution I probably give him the most power to.

If an actual in-game solution isn't implemented, I'm going to take this mindset. I'm taking my regular gameplay back.

The choice is up to the people running the place. The only thing I'd hope for is for you not to contradict this statement if the choice(s) you're hoping for isn't made. You'd be a winner in my eyes at least.

Reactions: Ade
Just to clarify:
  • I support a command.
  • A unit will be devisive and those who don't want to use it will be criticised.
  • Reliance on resta is lazy.

Not reliance. I would just like to go back to FOs being able to use one of their CORE ABILITIES a bit more often.

Resta was never supposed to be a controversial thing. DF made it controversial. This is not something the original devs would have foreseen in a million years. A counterbalance is warranted.

Resta was never supposed to be a controversial thing.
Neither were mates. Why are all of your arguments OK but when someone says the same thing about your playstyle, it's suddenly invalid?

Good to see the resta versus DF thing is still alive and well.. I vote for a /noheal command that negates the effect of resta on you for the rest of the time that you are in that particular game. No clue how difficult that would be to implement code wise (I don't know shit about programming really)

Neither were mates. Why are all of your arguments OK but when someone says the same thing about your playstyle, it's suddenly invalid?

Mates are not, and never were, controversial.

Telling someone "use mates, I'm not healing you" IS controversial.

:p

Edit: I have no idea what that last part is supposed to mean. This is a DISCUSSION. It's not my job to argue everyone else's side. (I probably could, but I'll charge PDs for the extra work.)

Mates are not, and never were, controversial.

Telling someone "use mates, I'm not healing you" IS controversial.
This trained me to believe that, in a video game, if you're using consumables, you're doing something wrong and playing badly.

On PSO, if I have to return to Pioneer 2 to get more Mates or use a Scape Doll to Trap Die, I feel like I've failed to succeed with what I had.
:rolleyes:

This is just how I feel as a gamer. I probably have used more Mates lifetime than most players. I just have some sort of a neurosis from old school gaming :p

My opening bit was meant to be an anecdote about where my present day gaming “foibles” come from. Everyone has things that shaped them.

For example, my favorite Disney character was Scrooge McDuck. This is probably why I don’t spend PDs very often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back