HC Mode: Regarding "Lives"

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Guildcard
Okay this is honestly SUPER LATE and we probably should have had this discussion earlier (like, a lot earlier), but we've been thinking about Hardcore mode recently and realised it's not really hardcore enough, because Scape Dolls are not a rare item in PSO, especially with set drops in some quests, so everyone has easily obtainable "infinite lives", so to speak.

Anyway!

Since Hardcore basically turns into Normal mode with boosted rates after a while, assuming you're not the kind of person who dies all the time that is, we've been considering changing how Scape Dolls / character deletion works, so we came up with 2 ideas so far and wanted to ask the community what they thought (and obviously pitch in their own ideas if they have other ones)
  1. Limit the amount of deaths you're allowed with a Scape Doll. After X amount, a Scape Doll will not save you.
  2. Make Scape Dolls rare. They will still have infinite uses, but they will be a blessing instead. Set ones won't be set, either.
I'm personally leaning towards the second one myself, as nobody will ever play risky content if you run out of extra lives (think Episode 2 on SEGA BB with EXP loss...), but it still gives the game the adrenaline rush since you have to actually hold onto your extra lives instead of just quickly farming up some extras.

What do you think?

Number Two without hesitate.

About the idea, I thought to change scape dolls to an item like a present, which contains items from item shop (mates, fluids, atomizers, ...) and scape doll.

2nd option sounds a lot better to me. It would suck to have all your taken by unavoidable deaths.

So should I reduce whatever chance you had to get a Scape Doll from whatever to 10% of it's previous chance or what's a good value you'd think? I mean, you want them rare, right?

Around PD rarity (or well, maybe a bit higher) actually doesn't seem too bad. Currently I usually get a PD every few games or so, assuming I'm not spamming something like a boss quest with not many enemies in it.

None of the scapes right now would be deleted either, so maybe people could take advantage of that... =p And obviously if it seems too rare after implementation, it can be brought up a little, although obviously it shouldn't be common enough that you needn't worry about dying at all, the idea is that every death counts!

i definitely like the 2nd idea better. freak accidents happen... but yeah, i like the idea of scape dolls aren't set in a quests. it will make people play more carefully.

I disagree with these proposals!
changes for the worse and new rules are a little late to be imposed on us don't you think? we did our planning according the rules of the server and what is happening now I think is unfair! also we don't play here to prove something to someone! Besides server has many options and we select one of them…

I disagree with these proposals!
changes for the worse and new rules are a little late to be imposed on us don't you think? we did our planning according the rules of the server and what is happening now I think is unfair! also we don't play here to prove something to someone! Besides server has many options and we select one of them…

No matter what happens you have to agree scapes in quests should be changed. EN2 was an easy farm but Tyrell's Ego makes them a joke. You can grab three scapes in Caves fast and easy whenever you want.

Personally I feel Scapes being PD rarity is too extreme but that's just me. I damn sure don't find a PD every few games.

For sure option 2, but personally I think it would be fair enough to only remove scapes from quests (or atleast from Tryrells Ego). If we are getting that extreme of a change, I would like to see better drop rates or maybe events to balance it idk. Also pretty new to this server so not sure how often events even happen.

Last edited:
tyrells Ego isn't towers or a quest like PW4 etc. my friend, also I'm thinking to stop level up to HC till to see whats next.

I don't like the first idea because I think once someone is down to 1 or 0 lifes he / she will just transfer all the bank stuff and recreate the character. Another option could be to have something like a cooldown on scapedolls or make them stackable, so people can't carry too much of them. But I guess this would take out a lot of the game flow, because as soon as a scape is used people would go to the bank or for cooldown, people would just wait. So, making them more rare seems like a good idea.

Although my HC char is level 28 and I still don't have any scapes. Maybe I should start farming them before this change is taking place. :p

EDIT: Oh and you mention exp loss ... maybe it could return for hardcore mode? But this would depend a lot on how rare scapes will become. Don't want to annoy the players too much.

deaths are absolutely unavoidable sometimes, this game really isnt possible to balance for hc
desync alone is a nightmare sometimes (rip shitabrick x2), or if something happens irl and you have to be away from computer for a bit but not long enough that alt-bs is warranted
would really limit the amount of things you're able to do in the game and/or make you play like a complete bitch alt-bs all the time

how about you just lower the scape rate by like half for a while and see how it is, and remove quest scapes

take it slow with hc changes, once you have no scapes playing alone is basically aids esp since so many quests can ohko wth traps or bullshit spawns etc
shit like falz will be off limits for a lot of chars if scapes are super rare, teammates could kill you or bullshit f2 for less geared hunters
bringers do 1400 and can often times be impossible to dodge or even see coming (en4 for example they can snipe you cross map)

they are a bit common atm, but if i wasn't fed scapes by maki i'd prolly never played some quests like fiasco (fuck bringers and sorcs gd ):< )

I agree with this Ducks guy. Life is already rough af for a force to get his shit together.

I thought it was fine until tyrells ego came along. There's other quest with set scape dolls?

I didn't even know that quest had those, TBQH. Tofuman was the developer. I'll probably remove them, SO FARM WHILE IT'S HOT.

Back