HC Mode: Regarding "Lives"

Right now, HC is just Normal with higher rates. It needs to be more than that. If you can't handle dying and losing all your progress and gear, you probably shouldn't play it.

Is there possibly some alternative way to go about making cheap deaths more avoidable besides scape dolls? Like "HC players can't use scape dolls but have x2 HP" or something? I don't have a large amount of endgame experience so I do not know exactly what tweak would be best down that road.

The cheap deaths I can think of in the game are mostly contained in Episode 2. It's all one-shot stuff (Megid, Meri Shots, Ill Gill Scythe) Things like Baranz missiles are honestly not an issue in my opinion, because to nerf things like that when you have tools at your disposal to stop it (such as freeze) is just making things a little too braindead. Playing on your HUnewearl? Get a friend with Frozen Shooter or Freeze Traps to help you, otherwise learn to deal with it yourself (Rabarta at spawn, then kill before unfreeze, for example). A Baranz cannot one shot you on spawn unless there's multiple since the max damage they can do to you is 1,000, and you need 1,001+ to stop falling anyway, and trimates exists for all classes.

Also EDK.

Most cheap deaths in PSO are honestly avoidable, they only ever really become bullshit when custom quests decide to throw things at you in a bad manner; none of the SEGA quests have bullshit that's unavoidable for the most part, which is why they're designed the way they are.

The main issue with bullshit deaths is usually custom quest makers more than anything else though. SEGA balanced that stuff mostly fine, but people would still avoid certain quests because of the possibility of dying at all even if everything is quite avoidable (people do make mistakes, after all). I don't really want things to end up like that though in HC, but Scape Dolls need to be cut down on some way.

The set Scape Dolls in quests should definitely be removed though at the very least, even if nothing else happens.

Last edited:
Your suggestions basically boil down to, "Play as if you're on Sega BB and are forced to do nothing but Forest forever, because if you try anything even remotely difficult, you'll probably die and lose experience." Just replace "experience" with "your character". Enjoy your endless Forest runs, HC players! :rolleyes: Matt's first post specifically said that he didn't want HC to turn into Sega BB where people never played Episode II, so your suggestions aren't particularly constructive.
The only suggestion of the sort was "don't play Mines" and every other suggestion I gave boiled down to "get good." Survival in this game is about situational awareness. If you don't want to have a friend with you, then you can't complain when you die in a way that was entirely your own fault. If somebody wants to just do nothing but Forest until they have Scape Dolls again, that's their own choice. If you don't want to risk losing all your stuff, don't play hardcore.

Kind of like how you don't play BB.

Drama thread. Woot Woot. I don't care what you do either way...if HC becomes unplayable, I'll just go to main game full time :p

Jesus christ. its meant to be Hardcore mode and we all have known for 16 years that this game can kill you in more cheap ways than anything else. Scapes should be limited or rare as shit, the end.

Patch notes:
Fixed a bug where hardcore mode wasn't hard.

The cheap deaths I can think of in the game are mostly contained in Episode 2. It's all one-shot stuff (Megid, Meri Shots, Ill Gill Scythe) Things like Baranz missiles are honestly not an issue in my opinion, because to nerf things like that when you have tools at your disposal to stop it (such as freeze) is just making things a little too braindead. Playing on your HUnewearl? Get a friend with Frozen Shooter or Freeze Traps to help you, otherwise learn to deal with it yourself (Rabarta at spawn, then kill before unfreeze, for example). A Baranz cannot one shot you on spawn unless there's multiple since the max damage they can do to you is 1,000, and you need 1,001+ to stop falling anyway, and trimates exists for all classes.

Also EDK.

Most cheap deaths in PSO are honestly avoidable, they only ever really become bullshit when custom quests decide to throw things at you in a bad manner; none of the SEGA quests have bullshit that's unavoidable for the most part, which is why they're designed the way they are.

The main issue with bullshit deaths is usually custom quest makers more than anything else though. SEGA balanced that stuff mostly fine, but people would still avoid certain quests because of the possibility of dying at all even if everything is quite avoidable (people do make mistakes, after all). I don't really want things to end up like that though in HC, but Scape Dolls need to be cut down on some way.

The set Scape Dolls in quests should definitely be removed though at the very least, even if nothing else happens.
giphy.gif

i honestly don't know any better way to explain this. tl;dr there are many things to do to survive easier.
also with the new cheat accounts, you can just put something together and test what works against the bosses and situations before actually attempting things if u wanna be safe.

I've been playing for 3 days. Straight hardcore. While i'm sad it's been a mostly one player game. I FUCKING LOVE THE FACT I'VE ONLY FOUND 3 SCAPES. If it were me, scapes would be a lot more rare than certain weapons. these things should become a currency to the HC player. I am a masochist, i can not wait till i lose my first character. Make me hate this game!

Back