HC Mode: Regarding "Lives"

If people are scared of dying go play normal mode. It's hardcore. I vote we make dolls useless 100%.

if you don't wanna use scapes that's cool

don't force that on other people, there are times deaths cannot be avoided

If people are scared of dying go play normal mode. It's hardcore. I vote we make dolls useless 100%.

I would be okay with either #2 or this. I know PSO has things like Megid but the whole point of hardcore in ARPGs is to make death cost the ultimate price. In another ARPG I play, I always see veterans give new players the advice of "it's not if you'll die, it's when you'll die". Do your best until you die and hopefully next time, both you and your luck will be better. I feel like every hardcore player of every game should be prepared to die and start over at any time, or they probably shouldn't be playing hardcore. That being said, PSO is more unfair than most ARPGs i've played, which is why I'm also okay with #2.

deaths are absolutely unavoidable sometimes, this game really isnt possible to balance for hc
desync alone is a nightmare sometimes (rip shitabrick x2), or if something happens irl and you have to be away from computer for a bit but not long enough that alt-bs is warranted

If you're scared of losing your character then dont play Hardcore

All death is pretty much avoidable if you pay attention to how much max HP u have before attempting dire situations

If you're scared of losing your character then dont play Hardcore
when you get a couple hundred hours into leveling/gearing your char
(do you play hc?)
we should play ttf together, you not using scapes since so against them
while i will hold onto my scapes
C:

Well here's the thing... it's HC. You knew what you signed up for, a mode where you can permanently lose your character if you die too much. It sucks to lose everything, but that's how it is!

Right now it's pretty much free rates and that's not the idea we were going for.

I disagree with these proposals!
changes for the worse and new rules are a little late to be imposed on us don't you think? we did our planning according the rules of the server and what is happening now I think is unfair! also we don't play here to prove something to someone! Besides server has many options and we select one of them…
I understand your point here, but the vision that Sodaboy had for HC just doesn't happen to be that way. There's no permanent danger level after a while (even before TE, Scapes weren't too hard, although not quite as easy), because Scapes are quite common in general.

just do the balancing slowly, don't gut the shit in one go

otherwise it'll go back to almost no players again

Well, I do believe scapes should be more difficult however I also hope this does not happen. The times I am on hardly any at all already.
i played the absolute dog shit out of hc during event (iirc only made the hc account after it had started)
playing mainly easy ep4 quests (usually most scape drops), not wasting scapes, my scape count after a couple bad runs of mu3/ttf/fiasco was gutted
think i have like 5-7 total scapes between all my characters
i'm not a great player, but i'm not THAT bad

it's easy to talk up never dying, i've yet to see anyone accomplish it on hc

think i care too much about the outcome so i'll just leave this thread be

remove scapes from HC drop table and replace them with 1/500 ragol rings

hows that for hardcore :mad:

:oops:

but really, choices are kind of limited. Maybe keep scapes as is but every time you die with a scape, you get the original (Sega rate) EXP loss. Or add a cooldown to scapes.

Scapes can be edited to just not drop from set boxes in HC, it doesn't have to affect other modes.

As far as I remember there are also 2 definite scape drops in Lost Weapon Quest in Mines 2. Center box of the 4 switch room and that one last room with all the boxes and the sinow blue.

it's easy to talk up never dying, i've yet to see anyone accomplish it on hc

Challenge accepted.

edit: I failed already. I suck.

Last edited:
PSO has a lot of cheap death opportunities, but many of them are fixable. The problem is that you have to modify the game to do it, and Soda doesn't want to do that type of thing, e.g. reducing Baranz missle damage so that the missles don't automatically kill you the moment you get enough HP to stop falling down, reducing Recon's saw damage so that it doesn't automatically kill you if you are close to a wall and don't get pushed away, reducing Dark Bringer's rifle blast damage so it doesn't punish Forces who practically have to reach level 200 before they can survive it, reducing the Megid level on Deldepth, and so forth. Many of the cheap death attacks can be fixed, but extensive changes are required to get them all, and some of them simply can't be fixed without patching the game.

well whatever happens, i'll just have to accept it. i mean i started on this train wreck of an adventure and i guess i'll take it to the end. it's making me understand a bit more about how exactly i am being damaged by enemies.

Just an idea but for those who don't like the new changes, would it be possible to change a hardcore account to a normal one but have your experience cut in half as a penalty?

reducing Baranz missle damage so that the missles don't automatically kill you the moment you get enough HP to stop falling down
just don't go to mines/spaceship or kill them before they get out of control, you rarely see more than one or two baranz at a time outside of quests anyway

reducing Recon's saw damage so that it doesn't automatically kill you if you are close to a wall and don't get pushed away
don't stand next to a wall if there are recons present

reducing Dark Bringer's rifle blast damage so it doesn't punish Forces who practically have to reach level 200 before they can survive it
notice your tp dropped and realize where the bringer is and is aiming at, and walk out of the way. alternately, use /hp units

reducing the Megid level on Deldepth
hit it so it doesnt shoot megid at you

almost all of these are only a problem in the heavy monster spam quests and if you're playing those on a mode where your character's death means permanent deletion then you either intimately know the spawns or you just have no sense of self preservation

Your suggestions basically boil down to, "Play as if you're on Sega BB and are forced to do nothing but Forest forever, because if you try anything even remotely difficult, you'll probably die and lose experience." Just replace "experience" with "your character". Enjoy your endless Forest runs, HC players! :rolleyes: Matt's first post specifically said that he didn't want HC to turn into Sega BB where people never played Episode II, so your suggestions aren't particularly constructive.

Back