Hardcore mode is now LIVE!

I personally do agree with the idea that Hardcore mode could be considered an extra mode to the side of normal (much like C/B are), and your performance in Hardcore could reward you with prizes in the Normal game.

I'm not sure what I think about HC and Normal being completely split though, it probably goes without saying that 90% of people are going to be playing the normal game, and with HC being completely separate from normal, playing HC is going to be a solo venture really. With some incentive to play it, it could be a lot more interesting perhaps.

EDIT: Oh and obviously it shouldn't reward you on death, that's just silly. Something ridiculous like making it to level 200, of course.

Matt said:
I personally do agree with the idea that Hardcore mode could be considered an extra mode to the side of normal (much like C/B are), and your performance in Hardcore could reward you with prizes in the Normal game.

I'm not sure what I think about HC and Normal being completely split though, it probably goes without saying that 90% of people are going to be playing the normal game, and with HC being completely separate from normal, playing HC is going to be a solo venture really. With some incentive to play it, it could be a lot more interesting perhaps.
I agree, but I think prizes for hardcore mode only work in a perfect world. There will be people who exploit and cheat their way through hardcore just to get those prizes. I think the incentive is self-serving. The point is that it should be a personal goal to see how far you can get. Maybe a prize could be earned for reaching certain, difficult, milestones, but I'm not too sure.

I do think that segregating the two is a bit weird. Honestly, I understand the whole meat shield thing, but if we're playing at an increased experience rate, it won't be too long before the hardcore character catches up to or even leaves behind their meat shield. And regardless, once people reach high levels with hardcore characters, they'll still have meat shields anyways.

The whole point of it is to be hard, making it easier/faster to get to ultimate defeats the whole point of it. Also, what does how many days have to do with anything? It still took the same amount of hours. That time also included sitting in pioneer 2 feeding a second mag, which probably added a good 6 hours to that.

All these changes that are being suggested are just going to turn it into thumb suck mode (which it almost already is with scape dolls).

root said:
The whole point of it is to be hard, making it easier/faster to get to ultimate defeats the whole point of it. Also, what does how many days have to do with anything? It still took the same amount of hours. That time also included sitting in pioneer 2 feeding a second mag, which probably added a good 6 hours to that.

All these changes that are being suggested are just going to turn it into thumb suck mode (which it almost already is with scape dolls).
Wow man. I concede to you, as clearly I can't argue against that math.

I wish I could reach level 65 in less than 13 hours. I'm just not a cool guy. :(

But, I'll bite. If you like hard core challenges, here's one for you: only allow yourself to play your hardcore character for 2 hours a day. No more. After a week, please let us know how much more challenging it will feel.

Even if I played 2 hours a day, it would still take the same amount of time in hours. I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make here.

Well, I figured the EXP would be rated at SEGA's original highest (4x)...but I don't buy the shit about it being all about making it hard. 2x EXP and boosted rare rates aren't about making it hard. It's about making a hard idea (never dying) more appealing to people who would rather...you know, not bother. Reward people for having balls.

If you really wanted it all bout that HARD, you would have half DAR, half rares, half EXP. And I dunno about you but I wouldn't give that a second look.

i'm planning to take this mode on with fervor.

look for me in game as winry', looking for other hardcore'ers to roll with ^^

root said:
Even if I played 2 hours a day, it would still take the same amount of time in hours. I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make here.

root said:
The whole point of it is to be hard, making it easier/faster to get to ultimate defeats the whole point of it.
x2 rates are already a boost. What CTB said is exactly the point. If you wanted something to be "difficult" then you'd play with lower rates. Regardless, I'm not really bothered by it either way.

CTB said:
2x EXP and boosted rare rates aren't about making it hard. It's about making a hard idea (never dying) more appealing to people who would rather...you know, not bother. Reward people for having balls.

If you really wanted it all bout that HARD, you would have half DAR, half rares, half EXP. And I dunno about you but I wouldn't give that a second look.

so the point of hardcore mode is not to make this old game a little more risky but also a little more rewarding and enjoyable
but just to cost players more time to progress?
then what's point of giving boosted rates in the first place?
exp and drop rates should be 1x or even lower all the time, no matter what event is going on and how that event boosts rates in non-hardcore mode

also it'd be nice to disable trading completely
to force players to hunt their equipments by their own
since hardcore mode can still use common bank
allowing them to share common bank between their own hardcore accounts is ok perhaps

I do tests on this mode for 40 hours and everything goes just fine. I can propose three more proposals which is really missing in my opinion:
1. +30% of rare monsters appearance (same with rare drop).
2. after reach 50 level full dressing room.
3. a flag for all hc members, also team log as one team.
Ps: congratulations for the idea of hc mode, is really exciting!

A "Tales" themed server with permadeath?! Yes!

My only suggestion would be try out a kind of Semi-Hardcore mode, one that basically has the default EXP/Drop rates of Standard, allows you to play with Standard players, but has a timer for permadeath, allowing for revival without the use of Scape Dolls, so long as it's within 10 seconds of death. I.E. if you die away from the rest of the team, you're truly dead. If your entire team goes down or runs out of Moon Atomizers, etc, you permadeath.

That, or make this the way Hardcore works instead of Scape Dolls being the only safety net. The only problem is this might be seen as too easy during bosses? And it would add serious animosity if someone refused to revive a player due to sheer maliciousness or even by mistake... Even still it feels a bit of a waste to completely do away with all revival abilities completely and force everyone to have to hoard Scape Dolls.

This is all wishful thinking; I've no idea how easy/feasible/reasonable it is to program in a permadeath timer.

You wouldn't even need to add a timer for something like that. All you'd need to do is say that if a player returns to Pioneer 2 or disconnects when dead, his character gets deleted. If you're dead without a Scape Doll and all of your teammates are dead, too (thus preventing them from reviving you), your only options are to do one of those two things. The only caveat is that you'd still have to prevent people from playing with regular players, or else the Faux Hardcore players could stay dead while the normal guy returned to Pioneer 2 and then went back to revive everyone to prevent the character deletion. If everyone is on Faux Hardcore mode, then nobody can do that, as any character who returns to Pioneer 2 gets disconnected and erased.

I keep forgetting to make the HC team... I will have to do it this week.

In the mean time, rare enemy rates have been doubled in HC games.

Sodaboy said:
Ragol Ring will probably kill your character permanently, I didn't try it out. I'll have to patch that in.

Not sure about Mag Reverser.

Any confirmation on Mags saving you? Would be good info to have. :)

falkenjeff said:
People would "cheat" and wait for someone to join their game to revive them. Just sit dead on the floor hoping they don't disconnect.
So? If you want to waste your time waiting for somebody to revive you in Faux Hardcore, then so be it. If you're too scared to play the real Hardcore mode then you deserve to waste your time waiting for people to take pity on you and revive your corpse, anyway. :twisted:

makinaz said:
Any confirmation on Mags saving you? Would be good info to have. :)
If I'm not mistaken, Mag revival doesn't work on BB, period. Mags only revive you offline, and BB has no offline, so the game doesn't even bother to do the roll for whether your Mag will revive you on BB. My Sato never revived me on BB, but I've gotten a few Sato revivals on GC (offline). BB has the same problem with respite, as solo mode isn't really offline, so respite doesn't get enabled, the way it does on GC. As a result, Olga Flow is much harder in solo mode than multi mode. GJ Segac. :roll:

Sodaboy said:
I keep forgetting to make the HC team... I will have to do it this week.

In the mean time, rare enemy rates have been doubled in HC games.
thanks

Always Depressed said:
Any chance for a path of exile style leaderboard for this sometime down the line? Even if it was just something simple as name, level, and alive/dead.
That's an interesting feature for this mode, but if the characters have been deleted since it's in place, some people might not appear xD

Back