Generic PSOBB Widescreen Launcher

falkenjeff said:
An actual Teth dev can give a better answer tho.
If by "Teth dev", you mean Tofu, sure, as this launcher is his and has nothing to do with Tethealla. :)

I was wondering if it's possible to implement borderless fullscreen in the widescreen launcher.
My main reason for suggesting this is because fullscreen mode doesn't work on Windows 10 for PSOBB (either with widescreen or regular launchers, it freezes when trying to load the ships list).

It seems there are tools that can force borderless fullscreen on PSOBB, but I guess it'd be more convenient if such a feature was implemented in the widescreen launcher, that is, if it's possible and not too hard to do. ^^;

ezodagrom said:
I was wondering if it's possible to implement borderless fullscreen in the widescreen launcher.
My main reason for suggesting this is because fullscreen mode doesn't work on Windows 10 for PSOBB (either with widescreen or regular launchers, it freezes when trying to load the ships list).

It seems there are tools that can force borderless fullscreen on PSOBB, but I guess it'd be more convenient if such a feature was implemented in the widescreen launcher, that is, if it's possible and not too hard to do. ^^;

I've got to second this request; I frequently have to go back to my desktop during play sessions, so windowed mode is a must. Being able to play without the borders would be incredible. If implementing it through this launcher isn't something on the table, does anyone know of 3rd party option to enable a borderless windowed mode? I'd really appreciate the info.

Also, this Widescreen Launcher is awesome -- so much so that I'm not sure I could stand playing the game without it -- so I was wondering why it isn't included in the default installer?

Thanks for all your efforts :).

Soly said:
Senan said:
...does anyone know of 3rd party option to enable a borderless windowed mode? I'd really appreciate the info...
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=346
http://westechsolutions.net/sites/Windo ... essGaming/ (I think is not the same as the one in the previous topic)

Oops, I made my "thanks" post in the thread you linked, rather than here (which I guess works out, since I wanted to thank them too, heh).

Thanks for letting me know about this -- I'll definitely try this out later :).

This launcher is very useful. Thank you for your hard work.
Do you still plan on adding support for 3840x2160? It'd be great to see PSO running in native 4k, especially with ReShade having full compatibility. Although, extra scaling for text like nametags would be useful as well - at 2560x1440 windowed, they're pretty hard to see.
Having said that... are higher resolution fonts possible? Currently, they seem blurry/pixellated at most resolutions, happening regardless of whether the high-res UI is activated. Of course, that's something from the way the game rasterizes them, but whether changing that behavior is plausible is another thing entirely.
(Hopefully, my thinly veiled begging for support and wild speculation doesn't grate on your ears.)

Hmm... I'm running into a bit of an odd problem with this and was wondering if anything can be done outside of using a secondary option:

When I use the 1366x768 option, my in game screenshots don't work. I tried a handful of lower resolutions, including the lower 16:9 ratio and the screenshots work fine in there. I would test out a higher resolution, but naturally I can't do that. So I'm not sure if the PSOBB Screenshots just can't actually be this large or if there's something I can tweak somewhere that I just don't know about.

Any thoughts outside of just using a secondary screen capture program (Or you know, pasting them into paint like I've been doing)

IIRC, I have taken screenshots in 1080p so it might just be an issue while doing that specific resolution who knows... but at the end I prefer pasting in paint since I can save directly to jpg instead of having those (big ass) bmp pics

Soly said:
IIRC, I have taken screenshots in 1080p so it might just be an issue while doing that specific resolution who knows... but at the end I prefer pasting in paint since I can save directly to jpg instead of having those (big ass) bmp pics

Yeah, the only downside of printscreen pasting is that if I want to take more than one screenshot, I have to make sure I've already pasted and saved etc. Which can be a bit of a pain if I'm in a room full of things. I suppose I'll be stuck using a third party screen capture after all. Bleh.

adamck said:
Any idea why it won't run in fullscreen for me? Select character, loading screen, then just goes black with the sound still playing. Windowed works fine though.

I've got this problem, I've tried to put d3d8.dll in PSOBB folder did not work, can anyone help me?

If the issues only occurs when using the widescreen launcher I doubt the DLL is at fault. Maybe something is causing a delay on the rendering. Do you have something that is putting an overlay in the game? I had issues with ATI's Catalyst installer which installed some game recording software (I forget its name now) but it was causing a lot of problems with PSOBB so uninstalled it and it worked fine. SplashTop can also cause issues I've found. If something is causing a delay the launcher may fail updating all of the values in time when the game launches.

So I would suggest disabling anything that maybe capturing the game or placing an overlay and then trying again.

Why not adding the IME stuff as another option? Since some people like it...

divie said:
Can you add 960 x 540 resolution? I'm trying to play with 4 people on my 1080p tv. I've tried stretching the windows but the game always f*cks it up.

If you could add it me and my friends would be very happy.

Thanks

Any update on this? Would really appreciate it. Either 960 x 540 or 1920 x 540 (or both) would help me greatly.

Thanks

divie said:
Any update on this? Would really appreciate it. Either 960 x 540 or 1920 x 540 (or both) would help me greatly.

Thanks
Unfortuantely, Tofuman has been pretty busy with work lately. His company is understaffed and overworked. So, he hasn't been able to participate here or even develop his launcher as much as he'd like.

I hear he's trying to take another week off soon, though, but don't expect any response for a bit.

Sodaboy said:
divie said:

Thanks
Unfortuantely, Tofuman has been pretty busy with work lately. His company is understaffed and overworked. So, he hasn't been able to participate here or even develop his launcher as much as he'd like.

I hear he's trying to take another week off soon, though, but don't expect any response for a bit.

Thanks for the reply. I understand

edit: It would actually be a big help if he just posted the source code so I could add it myself, test it out and post it. Either way, I'll be patient.

For the people unable to play fullscreen on windows 10. Here is what truly solved it for me, without any external intervention
Go to: Launcher > Options > Graphics/Advanced
And un-check "Advanced Effect"
iBEYW5f.jpg

If someone can try it out and wants to let me know, would be nice.
If it works, Soda might want to add it to the FAQ

Also, for Tofuman, if you can detect if the player is going to use fullscreen and has windows 10, disable the advanced effect so they don't get stuck (maybe warning them about it). I'll be doing something similar in my own xD

Credit goes for a player from Ultima that doesn't want to be named.

Well, that's up to Tofuman (since the original launcher can't be changed, afaik) but going for UX, if the person selected it, and will use fullscreen it should just be disabled under the table. You don't want to warn an user about an option that wont work and let them continue so they will do and get stuck.
What does advanced effect do anyway? (something in this effect is what should be taking a crap on windows, related to directX)

Also I doubt there would be a "patch" in windows to fix a 15 year old game that ran on XP and is discontinued, since disabling an option of the game "solves" it.

True, we don't know but have you found anything else that breaks like this? ... pso is old (and crappy because of it and sega lol).

Won't be clear but most probably the user won't even notice it. Is not V-Sync, if people try it and there are no issues, then is safe to do, otherwise put a message box in the user face saying he can't do it, so they can go to the options and do what you could have done automatically.
Why a registry file, it's just a check-box, not a nuclear bomb (well, for windows it kinda is), but it won't be a change to "do strange shit" how you call it, is to prevent the player the annoyance of getting stuck and having them come post/ask why it won't work (sometimes not realizing they can run in window mode, even then, it's asked why it doesn't work on fullscreen)
You could go back and read my post again >> ...the player is going to use fullscreen and has windows 10... << ... not XP, 7, 8 or anything else, windows 10 (and probably any other OS that shows the same issue).

Aleron Ives said:
If nothing else, it enables motion blur on PBs and bosses. It might also be what changes shadows from circles into detailed shadows.
I'll have to give it a try myself, but damn, so lazy xD

falkenjeff said:
if a real fix is found, it will render the launcher obsolete, with no way to bypass it because it was done "under the table"
If a "real fix" is found, the launcher will be the same dude, not like it can't be coded again to comment a single line of code (at least that's how it would be in mine).... why you fear it that much?

Back