3D printed PSO chess

ABetc

Hey all! I didn't see a fan art section so I figure this either belongs in general or misc.

But anyway, PSO for life! I'm new here but first played PSO in high school. I can't believe this game is still going strong all these years later. The menu music can still give me chills.

I recently started getting into 3d sculpting and it took me way too long to realize I should model up the episode 1&2 classes. I was also playing around with another chess set idea, hence PSO chess. Looking back, I could've just done separate models of each default pose... but I can always get back to that.

I just wanted to throw up my progress and get some feedback. Hope this looks alright!

hunter lineup
full classes lineup
chess piece poses
HUmar rough

As you can see I went with a rough pose of all the defaults first, then tried to figure out how to arrange them in a way that would work for the chessboard. In case it's not clear (and definitely let me know if it isn't), the pieces are:

king: HUmar/HUcast
queen: HUnewearl/HUcaseal
bishops: RAmar, RAmarl/RAcast, RAcaseal
knights: FOmar, FOmarl/FOnewm, FOnewearl

I don't have any progress on the rooks or pawns but I'm thinking:

rooks: stack of item boxes/teleporter (or maybe telepipe)
pawns: mags/red boxes

That's all for now folks. I'll post more when I've got it.

wow, this is awesome. i am terrible at 3d modelling personally, so i am very impressed with your work. the HUmar (KING) looks excellent. can't wait to see your progress on this project--i will be watching this thread!

This is so cool. I have a Super Mario Bros. chess set that I love. Sega would never make something like this and it would be amazing. Nice work!!!

Eh, thanks a bunch!

I don't even play a lot of chess, although it's a great game. I just like the excuse to arrange all the characters on a board. Also, it kinda makes it all seem a little more classy, so why not!

This progress took me a while so it's almost a shame to make it seem like I'll be able to pump this out really fast. But I am almost finished the final HUmar... so that's something. I'm still learning!

I gotta say, I love how the rough models are all just normal human figures posing, and then there's RAcast. :cool:

Looking forward to seeing the end result!

If you're looking for other ideas for pieces, how about adding various NPCs, like Principal Tyrell or Red Ring Rico?

Ya, RAcast looks way out of place, haha. I'm actually a bit concerned there won't be an easy way to fit him on to a chess piece without shrinking down everyone else or ignoring the right sizing. But that's a problem for later.

And NPCs definitely crossed my mind but I wasn't sure if I wanted to break up the dream team. Maybe there could be a set for only NPCs? I feel like the tekkers need some time in the spotlight.

I mean damn, even each level could have it's own set. The Forest alone is so iconic.

King - Dragon (this would be pretty tough without shrinking him way down or just doing the head or something...)
Queen - Hildebear
Bishop - Booma (go with the classic? Could go full-on Gigobooma)
Knight - Wolf
Rook - Monest (maybe with the mothmants around but I could be getting crazy)
Pawn - Rag Rappy

Of course, this always depends on having time and patience but it's nice to dream...

Ok, it's been a little while but I've finally made some progress. I'm going to work on some different stuff before moving onto the next piece (HUcast) but until then, I think the HUmar turned out pretty good!

3D modeled HUmar

I'll post some pictures of the printed model soon. That's pretty much the best part.

rooks should be chaos bringers considering their ability to charge halfway across the world instantly (or dorphons/delbiters, same deal). humar looks great btw

Dam folks, I'm torn! I wish I could sculpt faster. :(

rooks should be chaos bringers considering their ability to charge halfway across the world instantly (or dorphons/delbiters, same deal). humar looks great btw

I feel a full on ruins set coming on...

In fact, I can already picture Chaos sorcerer as the Queen, Del Saber as the knight... Or maybe chaos bringer with the whole horse thing? Claws are the pawns, though. That's easy, haha.

Ok, I'm back. Christmas break has given me some extra free time and HUcast wasn't as hard as I thought. Enjoy!

3D Modeled HUcast

I couldn't find any pictures of the back (except the low poly video game shots which weren't that much help) so I made it up. Could use a couple screws or something but I think it looks ok. I love his face though. So sharp and robotic.

Next are those dangerous hunter ladies. Fingers crossed their delicate deadliness isn't something too tough to model.

I tried to make a Brez figure out of ramen noodles and dried macaroni noodles (like a youtubes- "How To" video), but when i opened the seasoning packets.. The smell lit up my nose like Monterrey Jack from rescue rangers and I lost all self control and ate it. Now I have to replace some drywall I smashed through....

How did I miss this? I think that awesome!
I agree with Ten Zero. If you’re still around, an update to see the set would be really neat.

Hi all, thanks for looking in!

Long story short I obviously got a bit side-tracked but I've got some progress I can show.

One thing that's changed is I was finding it hard enough to model the characters + repose them for chess + make sure the detail could read at small sizes so instead I just decided to model the original lineup. I like the idea of having all 12 eventually in a nice desk statue size. Chess poses might be a future thing.

Anyway, here's some renders!

ZBrush Document 01.jpg

Angle01.jpg

RAcast angle 01.jpg

Angle01 (1).jpg

ZBrush Document03.jpg

IMG_20201130_221919 (1).jpg

@Ten Zero I eventually do plan to put the STLs up on some share site, maybe for a couple bucks so feel free to pester me about that if it takes too long to happen.

Enjoy everyone! I'll try to update when I get the next model done (maybe HUcaseal). I started work on a pirate chessboard too so no promises... haha.

The RAcast's special ability is taking up six squares on the board.

I'd def pay for some good desk PSO model STLs. I'm actually thinking of modelling Olga Flow for a lil' project I've been doing myself so any of these would fit right in. Got 4 FDM and 1 Resin printer ready to go anytime ;).

Back