Whats you’re favorite level?

Your favorite area (exclusing SS and Crater)

• Dessert

• Interiority

• Tower

• Seabed

• CCA/Seaside/Mountain/Jungles

• Temple

• Ruins

• The Mines

• Cave

• Forest

Results are only viewable after voting.

Asim

The most trusted voice on PSO
I omitted Crater and Spaceship from the poll as we’re only allowed 10 choices and I suspected those two are the least enjoyed. Might be horribly wrong on that judgement, however. Also had to condense CCA’s four or five areas (Jungle North and East) into one. I would’ve liked to included every area, e.g Forest 2, Cave 1, etc. Also I listed them in reverse order to mitigate snap judgement.

What’s your favorite area from a design and enemies perspective? I.e. not regarding drop rates or EXP or floor patterns stuff like that. But you can use your own criteria.

I chose Tower. I don’t like how the music is recycled from CCA but the enemy behaviors are the most interesting in the game without being annoying like those of Desert. I like how it’s stormy outside. I also loved Forest 2 N-VH skin, it’s beautifully melancholic.

I omitted Crater and Spaceship from the poll as we’re only allowed 10 choices and I suspected those two are the least enjoyed. Might be horribly wrong on that judgement, however. Also had to condense CCA’s four or five areas (Jungle North and East) into one. I would’ve liked to included every area, e.g Forest 2, Cave 1, etc. Also I listed them in reverse order to mitigate snap judgement.

What’s your favorite area from a design and enemies perspective? I.e. not regarding drop rates or EXP or floor patterns stuff like that. But you can use your own criteria.

I chose Tower. I don’t like how the music is recycled from CCA but the enemy behaviors are the most interesting in the game without being annoying like those of Desert.i like how it’s stormy outside. I also loved Forest 2 N-VH skin, it’s beautifully melancholic.
Out of ALL those areas, mew can tell you her LEAST Fave.................CAVES!! nya~!

But Spaceship is objectively the coolest map in the game...

Tower is part of CCA though, not really sure why you tried to differentiate it while grouping the areas within together. For a total package (not just music + scenery), CCA would beat the rest.

Tough call between Jungle East, Jungle West, Seaside Night, CCA, Towers, and Spaceship. Ruins is pretty cool too.

If I'm playing BB, probably Spaceship. But the water effects on Gamecube? I'd probably switch to Jungle with the moon background (forget if that was East or West...)

Last edited:
But Spaceship is objectively the coolest map in the game...

Tower is part of CCA though, not really sure why you tried to differentiate it while grouping the areas within together. For a total package (not just music + scenery), CCA would beat the rest.
Spaceship IS eye and storyboard candy~! =3

Always gotta give it to the Ruins. You're so close to understanding the truth about what happened to Pioneer 1, but in the worst way possible. The stakes are so high, and the soundtrack pushes that while everything turns to chaos around you. The enemies all seem like corrupted Hunters (Delsabers), Rangers (Gunners), and Forces (Chaos Sorcerers), the ones that came before you and didn't make it. And you're about to take on an eldritch horror on its own plane of existence with little more than lasers, techs, and determination.

Seabed is obv a close second, but it's a different feeling - you've (ideally) messed up Dark Falz, whatever Olga Flow has to throw at you is an inconvenience. You are again going against eldritch horrors, but almost like it's another day at the office, which is an awesome character development.

but maybe I'm thinking too hard about it from, like, a narrative standpoint.

I honestly love forest <3 I like how it's laid out and how peaceful it feels. Ruins is really cool with how it progresses too. I also really like spaceship and all the CCA related areas, but I mostly play EP1 and it's forest related quests.

Forest is very beautiful. I remember recently when Tyrell's Ego gets popular, those times when a player took a long time to warp. The camera pans out and reveals how detailed and lush the world really is. Maybe a player would disconnect and I'd just sit and watch.

However, I love CCA and it's one of my most treasured areas in any video game, period. The dragonflies, the fog. The turbines turning slowly, the lightning suggesting an eternal storm raging. The ominous towers dotting the maps, Still, decades later, I sometimes find myself just looking out over the rails and watching the environment, reminiscing about how it felt when I was seeing all of this for the first time. All of Episode 2 is just magnificent.

When Episode 4 first came out I really hated it because I felt like it broke all the aesthetics of the game, the music went all crazy-boingy, and the monsters felt like they were half-asked compared to Episode 1 and 2. Years later it grew on me, and I really *really* love the soundtrack. I think it's supposed to represent chaos and uncertainty, with the desert being this intricate smear of technology and ancient ruin opening up before you.

I don't think I'll ever feel what PSO made me feel about any other game.

Attachments

• cca1.jpg
    cca1.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 11
Always gotta give it to the Ruins. You're so close to understanding the truth about what happened to Pioneer 1, but in the worst way possible. The stakes are so high, and the soundtrack pushes that while everything turns to chaos around you. The enemies all seem like corrupted Hunters (Delsabers), Rangers (Gunners), and Forces (Chaos Sorcerers), the ones that came before you and didn't make it. And you're about to take on an eldritch horror on its own plane of existence with little more than lasers, techs, and determination.

Seabed is obv a close second, but it's a different feeling - you've (ideally) messed up Dark Falz, whatever Olga Flow has to throw at you is an inconvenience. You are again going against eldritch horrors, but almost like it's another day at the office, which is an awesome character development.

but maybe I'm thinking too hard about it from, like, a narrative standpoint.
Oh wow never thought of ruins foes being corrupted former hunters before. Mainly cause of the hunter's guild bad story end showing Kireek becoming messed up didn't make him different. But that is a good though.

CCA > Ruin > Seabed > Forest > Mine > Cave > Spaceship = Temple > Anything EP4
Not sure where to put the tower, since I love the gameplay but dislike the aesthetics.

Last edited:
There are 2 very different ways to answer this: design, and fun.

Design, it goes to the seaside/mountains/jungle combination, with a special mention of forest. The episode 2 areas (and forest) are some of the only places in the game to not feature a flat box room. Oddly shaped rooms with elevation differences, and awesome scenic backdrops, make their aesthetics miles ahead of the rest of the areas.

Add on the enemy design. Each region features a contextually sensible enemy (monkeys in the mountains, plants in the forest, bees on the beach), each with a miniboss variant. Tie it all together with the robot theme of CCA and a grand boss at the end.

For fun though? Forest is MVP for fun. Only one megid risk from a rare enemy. No immune enemies. No horribly long entrance animations. Just you and a horde of squishy loot boxes.

It's hard to really pick an all time fave, but at the time of this post I voted for Seabed. My favorite aesthetic is usually the gritty, industrial environments. The music is superb, the monsters are cool, and as someone who is nostalgic for the GC game, the Seabed will always feel like the 'final' area. The fight with Olga Flow is amazing too.

Honorable mentions:
Mines, especially Mines1 looks great, and I generally like the Machine enemies in the game. Vol Opt is another very creative boss.
Desert, the monsters there are aggravating and navigating the level is a pain, the last boss doesn't feel as grand or important as Falz/Flow, but damn it, the music in that area is the best in the game.
Forest, so tranquil and pretty...

I voted for seabed because I like the area and the music is amazing. The Enemies? Actually terrifying! Morfos who look creepy and snipe you across the room, Sinow Zoa who goes invisible, teleports next to you, freezes you and kills you, then there's Sinow Zele who does the exact same thing but also disarm you, and Delbiter, who can easily kill you too...definitely a threatening level

Honestly this was really hard because forest feels the most like a home amongst the levels, its reliable, easy, simple, short, and an amazing start to every new character. BUT cca areas are super pretty and i love the music and some of the enemies are kinda like awesome harder versions of forest enemies. Plus, when i used to play way back when, this level had a level of mystery to it for me, i think it has to do with how its structured. BUT also seabed is just a really really cool area and its always in my mind as THE final area and it really feels like one. Also i know spaceship isnt on here, but i wouldve also been split on it because I love spaceship for the music, visuals and i love the way the VR areas take episode 1 enemies and pair them with other Episode 1 enemies to create these really cool challenges, its almost like seeing the episode 1 enemies reach new potential just by being paired with other enemies. But in the end i just had to vote for forest, its just too iconic for me, and such a reliable way to relax.

I've been thinking about putting together a tier list on tiermaker of all the levels including the 1,2, and 3 being separate listings on the tier list because the only tier list i could find only had episode 1 levels and made seperation of the sub levels

Back