What's the story behind your name?

Before Ephinea, I was on Ultima where I made my FOmar... "Zhet" (also my PSO2 char) which was basically... Just how he letter Z was pronounced in certain countries with a H randomly added.

In Ephinea, rather than remake my boring char, I made Zeta! Who's name is literally how Z is pronounced in Spanish (billingual here...) as well as sounding like a female version of the name Zhet...

Actually came about during my "Goth teen phase". Was a huge StarFox fan and because Fox is usually too short (or always taken) adding Unknown to the front seemed to solve a lot of the issues. So use it for everything now. Sad part is I am starting to hit sites where even that name is already taken. >.>

It's a name that stuck from high school. I was like a mix between Ryogo Kusama from Front Mission 3, and Zelos Wilder from Tales of Symphonia. That's right, I'm the comic relief character of my own life, haha.

Nina, well. That's my name. Not very creative. But Gwen was the name of another player I teamed with in a MUD back in '96. The name just resonated with me, so I stole it. :eek:

Just made it up. Wanted something like Van Helsing but more ridiculous (though the movie American Vampire is pretty funny with Van Helsingmeister). I have characters named Van Skankenhelm and Von Crunkenstein on Ultima Online free servers (UO the game, not Ultima the PSO server). Gotta love the 16 char name limit in that. Console PSO's are still great with a 12 char limit. It annoys me that Blue Burst limits you to just 10, but at least that's better than 8. Had to rethink a lot of my PSO charactor ideas. Eventually I'll make a Greenill Ramar named Skankenham.

Ha, I played some God Wars Mud somewhere back around 97-99. Not sure what my main char was named. Those had some awesome writing of the areas, mobs, and weapons/items. Then they did server wipe of everyone's items and I quit that MUD. Maybe briefly checked out another after.

Just made it up. Wanted something like Van Helsing but more ridiculous (though the movie American Vampire is pretty funny with Van Helsingmeister). I have characters named Van Skankenhelm and Von Crunkenstein on Ultima Online free servers (UO the game, not Ultima the PSO server). Gotta love the 16 char name limit in that. Console PSO's are still great with a 12 char limit. It annoys me that Blue Burst limits you to just 10, but at least that's better than 8. Had to rethink a lot of my PSO charactor ideas. Eventually I'll make a Greenill Ramar named Skankenham.

Ha, I played some God Wars Mud somewhere back around 97-99. Not sure what my main char was named. Those had some awesome writing of the areas, mobs, and weapons/items. Then they did server wipe of everyone's items and I quit that MUD. Maybe briefly checked out another after.
Best name in Epihnea

DIZ is my callsign at work. Traditionally your peers give you your callsign during a ceremony and it's based on something stupid or embarrassing.

During the deliberation of possible names for mine, we took a bathroom break and after I had finished peeing, I had a Something About Mary moment and shouted in pain. Thus the name Dick In Zipper.

I was creating a BS email like 14 years ago or something. I couldn't think of a name to use. I typed "idontcare" and it was taken, so it suggested "idontcare072007" (this was before the year 2007 though). I selected that b/c I didn't care and I just sorta kept using it...

Cassie 9 comes from the CRISPR Cas9 system, a method of gene editing that has recently gained popularity and is kind of controversial. It's crazy what they're doing, even if it's only somewhat accurate right now. Just wait, CRISPR will be the future.

First of all, this thread is amazing.

Legaia Duel Saga 2 came out in 2002.

I was 11 years old at the time.

There was a character on there, an old man, named Kazan.

I couldn't pronounce his name as a kid and I decided to name him Gunda. He used his fist to fight and I used my fist irl to fight. I thought he was cool and so I named him Gunda.

Cassie 9 comes from the CRISPR Cas9 system, a method of gene editing that has recently gained popularity and is kind of controversial. It's crazy what they're doing, even if it's only somewhat accurate right now. Just wait, CRISPR will be the future.
Dope science drop

Well, since this is bumped anyway.

When I was first starting PSO on another server, I had to come up with a name for my first character. I'd played PSO before on GC and knew what each character could do reasonably well. I decided that I'd be a FOmar with the old face.

I decided that my FOmar would be this old guy that would mix melee and techs; so I wanted an old and wise sounding name to reflect that. I pondered a bit, went online, did a bit of searching... and Rufus is the name that I settled on.

Tsynorca is the result of bashing my keyboard, looking at the mess that came up, and just tweaking it a little such that it sounded like a plausible and pleasant surname.

The reason that I came to this server was the nostalgia brought on by seeing the names of people I used to game with on the other server. I therefore saw no reason to use a different name here.

So yup, Rufus Tsynorca here too.

Last edited:
Well...let's see...

To be perfectly honest, I originally went with the name of CBoy (don't ask. I was a young kid/young teen going through a superhero fan phase for a few years. I grew out of this, and you'll learn why in a bit), then later Avalon (which I still use at times, but not for the same character idea) and Aragorn, the latter two especially when I was playing Artix Entertainment's browser games (been a fan of the company and staff ever since I first played DragonFable). To say the least, I had a couple staple names that weren't really that original.

However, a couple years before college (long after I grew out of the "phase" I pointed out earlier), I started gaining an interest towards other cultures and history. Mostly because I knew enough about my own culture that it started getting boring to pursue knowledge about it (I'm sure we've all had that happen at one point or another). This led me to learning about star signs, Greek mythology, and other Greek-related information, and one name that came up was Chronos, the personification of Time. Didn't really pull too many ideas from that (though I did have a few thoughts for a character that could manipulate time to an extent and always reincarnated), but the name definitely stuck around in my head for a while, and as you can tell, I eventually used it (to the point of even changing "CBoy" to "Chronos" in DragonFable first chance I was able to change my character's name).

At a later point, my interest in places outside of America turned towards Eastern culture (namely Japanese culture), partially due to having played games or parts of games with obvious draws from it (most notably: Sheena + Mizuho and its residents in Tales of Symphonia, and all of Okami). It was sometime during my early interest that I saw a classmate playing an MMO during break between courses: Dynasty Warriors Online (which also happened to be the first Warriors game I ever played, and what drew me towards the Warriors games). It caught my interest right away, and I downloaded and installed it first chance I had. Since it was the first non-browser MMO that I played, and I wasn't sure if I would play any others, I wanted a name that would stick. Chronos was obvious since I was using it more, but I had trouble thinking of a last name. But then I thought about some of the Japanese names I had heard, and while I didn't know much about the Japanese language at the time, I decided to make a name that sounded close enough to work.

Hence, I created the surname "Notashi" for my character, and, with the exception of two instances ("BowieSage" in Dragon Nest and "ClessAlbeon" (screwed up on the last name, but I definitely thought of Cless/Cress from "Tales of Phantasia") for another game), the name "Chronos Notashi" became a regular name for my character, especially for more Eastern/Japanese-themed settings. Though usually for more non-anime-style European/American/sci-fi-themed game, my in-game name (my forum name is usually Chronos Notashi, again with exceptions such as Dragon Nest) is typically just "Chronos" (or in the case of PSO:BB due to wanting Skyly and not knowing about the name change until AFTER level 20, Chro-nos), or I might even go with a more "American" last name. I also sometimes use longer hairstyles for medieval versions of my character (my HUmar uses one such hairstyle as well) for a bit more of an adventurer/knight-style appearance.

By the way, if it's okay (though this is Off-Topic, so I assume no one will mind), I'll share a screenshot of my DWO character (the first time I used "Chronos Notashi") in case I change my profile image at any point.

o06iAuV.jpg

Last edited:
I like dogs.
I like sweets (well, I bake them anyway).
I like cute names.

This is actually my "undercover" not primary username on the tubes. A bit sadly for this thread, cause that one has a lot more punning. Like reading everyone else's stories though.

I like dogs.
I like sweets (well, I bake them anyway).
I like cute names.

This is actually my "undercover" not primary username on the tubes. A bit sadly for this thread, cause that one has a lot more punning. Like reading everyone else's stories though.

Back