What role do you play in a party?

Alex64

This fire burns bright!
Guildcard
This is just out of curiosity, since I've always played solo, but do you assign specific roles to each party member? If so, then what role do you take? Are you tank, melee-DPS, ranged-DPS, healer, etc.

Myself, I imagine I'd be ranged-DPS, probably through a mix of guns and techniques (though I've usually tried to be a jack-of-all-trades playing solo).

Everyone is DPS (no real conditions to this), and one (or more) people are the supports, although the support should be DPS as well after they've done their necessary supporting.

Just kind of how PSO works.

I play a RAcaseal on hardcore, so basically: 1. prioritize freeze-trapping deadly targets, such as Baranz, 2. Be destroying everything otherwise.

My Hunters hit stuff with some shooting.
My Rangers shoot stuff with some hitting.
My Forces support party and shoot/nuke stuff.

Each game depends on the setup, with huney/ramarl/ramar (even humar sometimes) becoming the support aid.

Casts have traps to make spawns easier to deal with.
Fleshies have demons boosts to make spawns easier to deal with.
Forces can use their techs to make spawns easier to deal with.

Each class can be used in many ways, it just depends on party setup and what you want to do. But yeah like Matt says, everyone's pretty much DPS.

Last edited:
Spicey memes are my favorite. I play the Chaotic Neutral +17 Charisma Cleric in our party. I just never get the rolls!!! :(
Whoops wrong game. I nuke people w/ ma hildebear's can. Get Gud Goomas.

To me, there's 3 main roles in PSO; Damage dealers, crowd control, and support. Making a distinction between melee or ranged DPS is pointless imo, and tanking is pointless period in... Just about any PSO game, correct me if I'm wrong. (And please for the love of Sato don't use Guard Stance as a positive example of tanking >.<)

However, I think specific roles are almost never assigned to people. People just adapt to the situation at hand and do what comes naturally. It just goes unspoken. The only time it really ever is brought up is to find out whose buffs/debuffs are the highest level, to decide who should take on support duty. Or maybe if I'm in an android party, we could really use some Resta spam from the one lone HUmar we have during Falz.

To piggyback on what @Matt said, everyone is DPS, but you might also wind up CC-ing or supporting depending on what class you are and what your party composition is. So to a RAcaseal main like @Bliz or me, support is kind of a non-option to us. We have some niche support options like healing with Star Atomizers or debuffing with Zalure Needle, but you will rarely see these things in action. Instead, we have a plethora of options for CC; Frozen Shooter for freezing high priority targets at range, Snow Queen for freezing lined up enemies, Spread Needle for groups, not to mention Freeze/Confuse Traps. But at the end of the day, we're still DPS, cuz dem mobs gon needsta die sometime, sho'nuff.

This is pretty much the same in PSO2, I might add, except crowd control might as well not exist. Status effects are nowhere near as reliable or as strong as in PSO1, so the only thing you really have for CC is hitstun, and vacuum effects like Zondeel or certain PAs. DPS is pretty much all that matters, besides the mandatory Ranger for Weak Bullet and optionally a Techer for Shifta/Deband buffs that are worth a damn.

Two words can describe mew.... "Support Fiend!". Ummmm..depending on what level room she's in her "role" varies from... "Mom"....to the walking giggling RAbarta grenade....FOney trapped in a HUneys body who's not afraid to get her paws wet! >=3 Guess you'd just have to watch mew to decide for yourself =P

Ya'll have a handle on this PSO version right? Is there gamepad support? Or a way to edit key bindings for controls in games? Been looking but nobody seems to have an answer.

To me, there's 3 main roles in PSO; Damage dealers, crowd control, and support. Making a distinction between melee or ranged DPS is pointless imo, and tanking is pointless period in... Just about any PSO game, correct me if I'm wrong. (And please for the love of Sato don't use Guard Stance as a positive example of tanking >.<)

However, I think specific roles are almost never assigned to people. People just adapt to the situation at hand and do what comes naturally. It just goes unspoken. The only time it really ever is brought up is to find out whose buffs/debuffs are the highest level, to decide who should take on support duty. Or maybe if I'm in an android party, we could really use some Resta spam from the one lone HUmar we have during Falz.

To piggyback on what @Matt said, everyone is DPS, but you might also wind up CC-ing or supporting depending on what class you are and what your party composition is. So to a RAcaseal main like @Bliz or me, support is kind of a non-option to us. We have some niche support options like healing with Star Atomizers or debuffing with Zalure Needle, but you will rarely see these things in action. Instead, we have a plethora of options for CC; Frozen Shooter for freezing high priority targets at range, Snow Queen for freezing lined up enemies, Spread Needle for groups, not to mention Freeze/Confuse Traps. But at the end of the day, we're still DPS, cuz dem mobs gon needsta die sometime, sho'nuff.

This is pretty much the same in PSO2, I might add, except crowd control might as well not exist. Status effects are nowhere near as reliable or as strong as in PSO1, so the only thing you really have for CC is hitstun, and vacuum effects like Zondeel or certain PAs. DPS is pretty much all that matters, besides the mandatory Ranger for Weak Bullet and optionally a Techer for Shifta/Deband buffs that are worth a damn.
(And please for the love of Sato ...... <3 <3 <3!

Ya'll have a handle on this PSO version right? Is there gamepad support? Or a way to edit key bindings for controls in games? Been looking but nobody seems to have an answer.

there is gamepad support, but you're probably going to want to use joy2key to get more use out of it

I play the RAcast that tries to paralyze and Freeze everything, and the RAcast that always forgets to bring his Hell weapon when playing Episode 2.

Simplest thing would be for mew to get your paws on a wired xbox 360/one pad and plug it in. It's plug and play once u restart PSO for it to handshake =3. GL!

Back