What anime are you currently watching?

That wicked city movie... ive seen that. Wicked good movie. When i bought it (long ass time ago) i had no idea what i was in for. Haha.

That wicked city movie... ive seen that. Wicked good movie. When i bought it (long ass time ago) i had no idea what i was in for. Haha.

@Nyte
I had no idea what I was in for when I watched the Urotsukdoji series.

All 5 episodes, each like 1 hour long. The fifth is a little less.

Weird as shit. No hope for humanity, only demons.

It also has the history of starting that tentacle shit.

Definitely wasnt a favorite of mines but I finished the series nonetheless.

Episode 2 of the series wasnt that bad, but 1,3,4, and 5 episodes have alot of, "What in the fuck!?" moments.

Edit: Watched them all
1. Legend of The Overfiend
2. Legend of The Demon Womb
3. Return of The Overfiend
4. Inferno Road
5. The Final Chapter (Unfinished by the company)

Last edited:
Here's a tricky one. Can anyone recommend anime to someone who dislikes almost all aspects of anime?

I've seen a few anime films and my last girlfriend loved anime. She'd watch 2 or 3 episodes of different shows every evening.

I found certain things made me cringe. For one the female voice acting really got under my skin. It was just too over the top, and loud. In fact most voice acting seemed to lack any subtlety.

Next the strange and over the top facial expressions and over the top emotions etc....perhaps I just dislike the melodrama of it all:

is_this_a_tutorials__by_iris_zeible.jpg

Expressions such as them I saw on so many manga my ex used to watch. I didn't really enjoy it.

So like I said, maybe I just dislike anime in general. I can't imagine every anime would incorporate styles and themes that don't agree with me. I'm not ready to give up on the genre entirely and I'm sure there must be anime's which are more mature and less cartoonish in content/characters?

3 stand out anime films for me were Street Fighter The Animated movie. That felt a lot more western in terms of it's style. Magnetic Rose from the 1995 Memories collection of 3 short stories. Finally Appleseed - the 2004 movie. I watched the other 2 films and I found them way too over the top.

So there we have it. Can someone recommend some anime which are mature or darker in content. Not too over the top with vocals or seemingly hyperactive emotions.

I enjoyed the concept of Attack On Titan but the usual suspects reared their heads throughout the episodes and I wound up giving up on the show. Another a friend recommended was Full Metal Alchemist. He said the plot was amazing, but again I couldn't get past the annoying stylistics.

Ed

Last edited:
I'll try it, but I just had a look at the artwork and it made me want to punch things lol

Ed

I can recommend a few which are darker, mature, or have little to none of the style you mentioned.
  • Death Note - Kid finds a book that kills people when he writes their name in it, "befriends" a death god, becomes a serial killer.
  • Shiki - Mystery/horror where vampires take over a small village. It makes you question who the real monster is.
  • Blood+ - Pretty damn serious, lots of vampires, blood and death. Story'll keep you on edge and wanting more.
  • Claymore - Buncha women with super human powers kicking ass.
  • Hellsing Ultimate - Vampires, action, and bloody goodness. Alucard is an unkillable badass. AVOID THE TV SERIES
  • Ghost in the Shell - Great sci-fi/action anime. You'll want to check out Stand Alone Complex too.
  • Beck - Art style is way different and doesn't have the expressions you mentioned. That aside, it's a fantastic music anime.
  • K-on - Bunch of girls killing things with their musical instruments..... (jk avoid this one xD)

FMA is good, but I can see your point. Edward and some of the other characters tend to go full chibi sometimes. xD

Would cowboy bebop be good? The chick's voice tho...maybe not

The movie that got me into anime.. Ninja Scroll. It has chicks but is mature, especially for a 1993 movie. Published by madhouse so its good.

Last edited:
Fist of the north star.. lol i couldn't finish it. That guy has so many shirts and just keeps ripping them off when he fights bad guys! Lol

But berserk. Very well said. Id say watch the older one first. The newer cgi one might not be for everyone. I dont mind cgi myself though.

Fist of the north star.. lol i couldn't finish it. That guy has so many shirts and just keeps ripping them off when he fights bad guys! Lol

But berserk. Very well said. Id say watch the older one first. The newer cgi one might not be for everyone. I dont mind cgi myself though.

@Nyte
Funny that you should say that. I actually dont like Berserk. *Gasp*

The concept of Idea of Evil, Behelits, and Evil (God) Hand are silly to me. No one has any real powers besides Skull Knight and Guts, at least for the good guys anyways. Every other good guy is pretty weak. I prefer the yin and yang balance. "If good exist then so does evil. If evil exist then so does good." Also that causality concept is also silly to me.

However the character development is pretty damn good.

I just know when people like extreme violence.

@raggamuffin
Hellsing, Samurai Deeper Kyo, and Afro Samurai is also really good as well but I think someone mentioned those already.

Edit: Katanagatari has a great story line as well. Ending made me mad a bit but the storyline and the fighting scenes are pretty good.

Last edited:
I gotta sit down and watch Hunter x Hunter one of these days. I always get intimidated when a series has a crap ton of episodes, but I suppose it's not a bad thing if the show is good haha. Rurouni Kenshin sounds interesting ; I'll put it on my ptw list.

I'm currently watching Star Ocean EX. Was curious to see what it was like compared to the games. It's not bad so far, but not very impressive either. Battle scenes are kinda lackluster, most of the time ending in a one hit kill. They must be seriously overleveled or something. >.>

I completed a few shows recently as well. (I'll spoilerify them below)
  • Minna Atsumare! Falcom Gakuen and SC. I figured I'd give it a try since I love Falcom games. It was pretty funny, but kinda random and very short. Fun to watch if you want to see some Falcom characters do crazy OOC stuff.
  • Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt Probably one of the dirtiest anime I've ever watched, though it was quite hilarious. It's like someone took PPG and gave it adult themes.
  • Prison School I was pleasantly surprised with this one. It managed to deliver great comedy and suspense. Just incredibly crazy, but very entertaining.
  • Shimoneta this show is just a big, long... joke. xP As a fan of perverted humor myself, of course I enjoyed this and had a good laugh.

@Seth i felt the same way when i first thought about trying a sports anime that came very highly recommended.

The prince of tennis has 178 episodes but i binged watched it every day until i finished it.

Truly i was surprised.

Next up i need to try "food" anime, i guess. Haha

Btw loved hunter x hunter 2011. Dont remember Rurouni Kenshin though the name sounds crazy familliar.

If you guys like a more serious one, without high-pitched female voices (since there are hardly any women/girls in it) or the typical anime-like facial expressions, try "91 Days". It came out last year and it's a story about a young man who lost his family because of the mafia. He then wants to take revenge and smuggles (? I hope that's the correct word for it :x) himself into this mafia family and tries to kill everyone who was involved on that day. I liked it very much, maybe it's something for you too :)

Started watching Tsubasa Chronicle. One of my friends recommended it to me after I finished Cardcaptor Sakura awhile back. I wanted to watch it even more after finishing HOLiC (that awkwardly long people anime -- despite that it was very good), because I didn't realize the worlds were connected until the characters popped in.

Also finished up Star Ocean EX today.. that cliffhanger tho.. Never gonna see that continued, unless you play the game. :eek:

Back