Team Rankings and Team Limit

Should we reduce the member limit for Team Rankings?

• Yes

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • No

Votes: 14 60.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Guildcard
Hi guys,

It probably should have been done earlier, but we want to implement the team rankings as SEGA had them. This means that every month, the team rankings reset and the top X number of teams get some sort of reward.

We're not going to do a lame reward like 100~300TP as SEGA did, we want to do something people will actually want to possibly play for. Not entirely sure what yet, but it will be something good (but not too good so people don't feel like they're completely missing out by not being in a team).

However, PSOBB servers (and indeed this one) have small populations compared to the past, and we feel that implementing Team Rankings is somewhat pointless if we keep the member limit of 100. There would be no point competing, as people could just join the big team together and reap all the rewards.

Therefore we'd like to propose the following two options:

1. Pruning the team member limit to 20, and having a decent reward.
2. Keeping the team member limit of 100, but having a reward that is somewhat worse than the above.

Anyone who has already gone past the member limit of 20 would get their TP refunded to them. You'd have to rebuild the team, as people would probably have to be removed, but if your team is active that should be no issue.

Vote in the poll above and/or leave your thoughts below, thanks!

Wow, hmm...I think it would come down to the value of the reward. I don't own any teams so I can't rightly say. I dont think I could personally kick a large amount of people from my team if I had one. Plus you gotta figure you're imposing earning POD/Dressingroom/Teamflag on them too, which is rough.

Option 2, don't want to loose all my HC buddies because of some purge and all the team earning already got.

sounds like a good idea to me for option 1. who really needs more than 20 active players on a team? lol.

Voting for option 2 also. I don't really see any benefits to lowering the team limit.
In addition to what Colette and Spuz said, I'd also like to point out that 20 accounts does not necessarily mean 20 players. There's altaholics like me who play a lot of different characters, and thus would like to have multiple accounts in the same guild, which tends to use those slots up a lot more quickly.

We have 32 slots now, so you shouldn't need multiple accounts anymore. We'll be letting people transfer characters from one account to another in due time.

We have 32 slots now, so you shouldn't need multiple accounts anymore. We'll be letting people transfer characters from one account to another in due time.

This is fantastic.

That would be much appreciated!

I'm still in favor of keeping the limit at 100 though. I totally get the notion behind discouraging mega-guilds, but really, lowering the team limit doesn't help much - only the way of assembling them changes. The lower you set the limit, the more exclusive it becomes, rather than getting as many people together as you can. Six of one, half dozen of the other, to me.

I'm not sure if you're missing the point of the post or not.

We're going to implement team rankings properly at some point, and unless we prune the member limit, we can't do any significant reward because people would just join the biggest team to reap the rewards, and right now I'd garner there's probably not more than 200 active players, if that.

We're basically asking if people would rather have team rankings be significant and worth trying for in small groups (but it wouldn't be significant enough that people not winning are totally missing out), since the server population is low, or if they'd prefer large social guilds, with team rankings being something very minor.

That would be much appreciated!

I'm still in favor of keeping the limit at 100 though. I totally get the notion behind discouraging mega-guilds, but really, lowering the team limit doesn't help much - only the way of assembling them changes. The lower you set the limit, the more exclusive it becomes, rather than getting as many people together as you can. Six of one, half dozen of the other, to me.
I'd love to keep all of my team in one team in order to have a mass of war tanks everywhere, but realistically groups beyond ten or twelve people, MAYBE sixteen, kind of devolve from having a personal connection towards being too big for anybody but the popular members to have a voice in anything.

I'd say team member limit 30 at cap for decent rewards, 50 if not because yeah there's just teams full of inactive people tbh. That keeps very active to mid active players in and avoids some exclusion. That's just my worthless opinion xD

I'd love to keep all of my team in one team in order to have a mass of war tanks everywhere, but realistically groups beyond ten or twelve people, MAYBE sixteen, kind of devolve from having a personal connection towards being too big for anybody but the popular members to have a voice in anything.
I agree with you. However, I can't really say that there aren't people out there that would put that number much higher, and for those people, is the act of limiting them to a superficially lower number - wherever we put the line, which is obviously subjective - beneficial to the server enough to impose a restriction?

So yeah, I agree large guilds can get unwieldy but instead of asking "what kind of guild best suits you" I think the question is "is imposing this restriction on everyone an overall benefit to the community as a whole?"

For now, my feeling is that there is very little, if any benefit while at the same time I can see it frustrating some people.

Since each account can hold up to 25 characters there really isnt a need to have many alt accounts on a team. Like matt said, if there are huge teams filled up with people, the reward would be very minor, almost not even worth competing for im guessing. Having 20 active players is a lot, and I bet most of the teams on here dont even have that, except maybe 1 or 2. Having a decent- good reward would add more competition between teams, and would be a great addition imo.

I don't care about Team Rankings, but the 20 member limit is fairly low.

Also, multiple accounts are useful.

it can be useful for things like transferring, using alternative IDs on other accounts to make games for you, getting yourself a 4-way PB for a 2-player game with a friend, etc. etc.

Last edited:
^Think you're trying too hard to find hypocrisy fam
That second post is taken out of the context of matt explaining the usefulness of a second account as a tool
not as an account you have to actively play on or be in a team with.

I'm not sure if you're missing the point of the post or not.

We're going to implement team rankings properly at some point, and unless we prune the member limit, we can't do any significant reward because people would just join the biggest team to reap the rewards, and right now I'd garner there's probably not more than 200 active players, if that.

We're basically asking if people would rather have team rankings be significant and worth trying for in small groups (but it wouldn't be significant enough that people not winning are totally missing out), since the server population is low, or if they'd prefer large social guilds, with team rankings being something very minor.
Hi again! Yes, I do get what you're saying, but any way I look at it, I'd vote for option 2.

If the reward isn't a game-changer (as you've already implied) then people won't generally bother switching or merging guilds, and even if some do, I don't see the big deal.

If people are scrambling to get into the guild(s) that gets a reward, though, then you clearly have the wrong reward.

^Think you're trying too hard to find hypocrisy fam
That second post is taken out of the context of matt explaining the usefulness of a second account as a tool
not as an account you have to actively play on or be in a team with.
Nah, ive seen people multiclient POD to hunt HS and limiter. Some were in the same team with pod to run it. :)

Edit: i dont think farming accounts taking up space in a random team would be appreciated with a lower limit.

You don't actually, you just need to be in a team with POD unlocked
1000 team points isn't to hard to get

(and you chose the ONLY SCENARIO in which you would need a team...)

You don't actually, you just need to be in a team with POD unlocked
1000 team points isn't to hard to get

(and you chose the ONLY SCENARIO in which you would need a team...)

Doesn't take away the usefulness of it. The original Sega servers only allowed you to play team quests with your own team and that req was on here too before it was removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back