Summer Scavenger Event 2020

SLU, thanks for letting me know about the correct reset time.

I have updated the sheet based on this:
View attachment 13987

The most common play time is mentioned 6:00-1:00 based on the local business hours. People usually work/school and play games after finishing them. 5PM is still too early unless you are not working. Also the actual common play hours and the reset time is not critically important here. I am more talking about the fact that the players are playing in different conditions depending on where they live and its not working fair to everyone especially for this event.
Great job pointing that out. Now what do you propose to be the solution? I am more interested in that.

Great job pointing that out. Now what do you propose to be the solution? I am more interested in that.
Since I do not have technical background for this server setup, I don't know how difficult it is to change it.., but if I were someone who could change the event, I would change the reset time. Below is examples for an 2 weeks event.
Option 1: Some additional hours added to the reset count time. e.g. IDs are reset every 28 (24+4) hours rather than 24 hours sharp, and users can always refer to the remaining time typing a command something like /badgereset. This way, the count reset time will be rotated everywhere and everyone will have the chances to find badges more evenly.
Option 2: extend the reset time to a much longer interval like 48 - 72 hours. This way, users will also have more even changes to find badges, but the drawback may be that collecting badges might be easier than the current set up.
So overall, I would prefer the option 1, IMO.
-

Since I do not have technical background for this server so I don't know how difficult to change the system.. but if I were someone who can change the event, I would change the reset time. Below is examples for an 2 weeks event.
Option 1: the found IDs will be reset with some additional hours e.g. resetting every 28 (24+4) hours rather than 24 hours sharp. And users can always refer to the next reset time typing /badgereset command or something. This way, the count reset time will be rotated everywhere and everyone will have the chances to find badges more evenly.
Option 2: extend the reset time to a much longer interval like 48 - 72 hours. This way, users will also have more even changes to find badges, but the drawback may be that collecting badges might be easier than the current set up.
So overall, I would prefer the option 1, IMO.
-

My two cents, 28 hours still isn't a fair reset interval. The daily shift of 4 hours means that resets on Saturday and Sunday are only offset by 4 hours relative to each other. Also, there is no weekly shift, so the time zones whose daytime hours more closely coincide with the second half of the weekend intervals have a clear advantage. The waters get muddied even further by the fact that because of the time differences, some areas are having their weekend while other areas are starting or finishing their week.

But to simplify, let's say we did split the week up into 120 weekday hours and 48 weekend hours. We can break the weekday hours into four 30-hour periods and the weekends into three 16-hour periods to give a somewhat more uniform experience to everyone across the time zone spectrum. There's still some unfairness around who gets to play pinch hitter on their weekend for someone else's weekend hours. Parameters can potentially be adjusted to account for that, though there is a limit to how fair this type of hunt can be.

Random interval sizes could help shake things up, but wouldn't necessarily make it fair. At best, you could hope for equal chances of unfairness.

I would like to get this back on topic with the OP. Let's focus on badge finds etc.

If you have any further suggestions please feel free to reach out to any staff/event team member via PM. Thanks.

Happy Hunting!

Back