PSO with Anti-aliasing (Nvidia Inspector)

Spuz

Without rain, nothing grows.
Guildcard
Guildcard 2
Is there anyone who has experience with this /AA in general?

I had it set up some time ago with 4x MSAA & 4x SGSAA and it ran smooth but around 6 months ago I started to get a huge slowdown as the title screen starts (drops to about 15 fps). I put it on the lowest setting 2x MSAA and tried it with all the PSO settings at the minimum (as well as testing a ton of things- Researched as much as humanly possible and I am completely stumped) and the results were always the same. When I change ''Antialiasing - Mode'' from Override to Enhance I can use any setting obviously with ease but there is no natural AA for PSO to Enhance thus doing nothing. I can play PSU at 8x MSAA & SGSAA even smooth as can be so this has become baffling.

My PC can handle it but since someone may ask here are the specs
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700x
  • (8-Core/16-Threads, 3.8GHz)
Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 mobo.
Networking: See Motherboard
RAM: 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 [2666mhz]
  • (CMK8GX4M1A2666C16 LPX C16 XMP 2.0)
Internal Storage: 5750GB
  • 1TB SATA 11 HDD - General Storage
  • 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD - Rom Storage
  • 250GB Samsung 850 EVO 2.5 Inch SSD - Windows
  • 500GB Samsung 850 EVO 2.5 Inch SSD - Gaming
External Storage: 320GB
  • 320GB Sonnics 2.5 Inch Pocket HD, USB powered.
CD/DVD Drive: 2x Drive-
  • Asus DRW-24D5MT DVD super multi (CD+/-RW, DVD+/-RW, DVD DL, 4-24X, 145ms DVD)
  • LG BD BH16NSFF.AUAR10B (3D compatible, BD/CD/DVD Supported/-RW, BD-XL (QL and TL))
Graphics: PNY GeoForce GTX 970 4GB (GFP70GTX4GEPB)
Case: NZXT Phanton410 orange stripe case
Sound:
Power Supply: 750w Gold standard EVGA PSU
Cooling System: AirFlow
  • 2xFan CPU cooling, 1x Intake/ 1x Exhaust: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED (AM3).
  • 8xFan system cooling, 4x Intake / 4x Exhaust, variety of fans.
Operating system: WIN10
Printer: HP DeskJet 3630 All-in-One
pYxNZsh.png

v3jkZY3.png

3qgXvFz.png

dSC4xXM.png

Last edited:
I find 4x AA, from the nvidia panel, enough for PSO (1080p 24" monitor) and w/o any major hit on the performance (I use a 1050 Ti).

0Jb6XxK.jpg

I've tried a bunch of Nvidia inspector settings but it's not worth it.

And for your FPS dropping, you should do a clean reinstall of the nvidia drivers with DDU. (uninstall with CCleaner, reboot in safe mode then use DDU and install the latest nvidia driver when you're back on normal windows)

I find 4x AA, from the nvidia panel, enough for PSO (1080p 24" monitor) and w/o any major hit on the performance (I use a 1050 Ti).

0Jb6XxK.jpg

I've tried a bunch of Nvidia inspector settings but it's not worth it.

And for your FPS dropping, you should do a clean reinstall of the nvidia drivers with DDU. (uninstall with CCleaner, reboot in safe mode then use DDU and install the latest nvidia driver when you're back on normal windows)

I will give it a go, ty

If Jyuki's suggestion doesn't work you can just run PSO at 2160p (4k)

If you don't have a 4k or 1440p monitor you can force your GPU to downsample via VSR and run PSO at 1440p or 4k

If Jyuki's suggestion doesn't work you can just run PSO at 2160p (4k)

If you don't have a 4k or 1440p monitor you can force your GPU to downsample via VSR and run PSO at 1440p or 4k

Thanks for the input; I might look into this regardless. Doing the uninstall/reinstall new drivers using DDU in boot mode actually got it all working again. Still using NVI though because it has many more options than NCP for graphical display.

Last edited:
It actually seems to be when using OBS (just simply being open doing nothing) at the same time as having AA on override (at any strength) that causes PSO to drop FPS to 15 ish at the title screen. I can AA pretty high without OBS no issue and OBS without AA on PSO. I'll look into this tomorrow & if I have to test out other programs like shadowplay.

Last edited:
Huh, I thought you needed to use a dx8 -> dx9 wrapper to force AA/AF (or anything from the driver for that matter). I guess Nvidia fixed that issue at some point.

BB has always worked with AA and AF, Nvidia or ATI...into AMD. Shit justs break with PSO sometimes, and it is horribly unoptimized (PSU has always ran better than PSO too!) Unfortunately Nvidia's Geforce overlay would kill PSO when I ran it on my 1080, so that might be a dead end as well.

stay away from cc cleaner

If there ever was such a problem, it must not have been around very long. I was able to force AA/AF on PSO PC with an AGP GeForce 6800, and it works on my GTX 760, too.

You can force in some pretty potent AA. Looks extremely smooth but incredibly taxing when you stack it with ENB/ReShade. Certain AA settings significantly reduces and soften ENB's extremely high bloom and bump mapping to more tolerable levels which I kind of like as well as really cleaning up the player shadows (small pic).

Attachments

• pso131455087186663867.jpg
    pso131455087186663867.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 63
  • pso1508852196.png
    pso1508852196.png
    6.8 MB · Views: 67
Last edited:
BB has always worked with AA and AF, Nvidia or ATI...into AMD. Shit justs break with PSO sometimes, and it is horribly unoptimized (PSU has always ran better than PSO too!) Unfortunately Nvidia's Geforce overlay would kill PSO when I ran it on my 1080, so that might be a dead end as well.

stay away from cc cleaner

Thankfully I did try Shadowplay and it lets me run perfectly at the desired AA levels (4-8x MSAA + 4-8xSGSSAA whilst recording in 4k), I set it all up to how I want and so I am happy with this right now. OBS still messes up with AA so I made a post on their forums for help if I decide to use it again.

Last edited:
Reactions: CTB
Oh wow! I am kind of curious about what you are running it on now.
PIV 3.0GHZ, Old ass GeForce 7xxx (used 8400GS for a while but this is more era accurate, all drivers not up to date for sake ofera accuracy), 512GB Samsung SSD with adapter for IDE, 2 GB ram (have a weird mobo situation :( ) with paging file/temp files on separate 32GB SSD with IDE adapter. Direct X version is 9.0b, I just don't have issues with frame drops or graphics issues.

Last edited:
If there ever was such a problem, it must not have been around very long. I was able to force AA/AF on PSO PC with an AGP GeForce 6800, and it works on my GTX 760, too.

On laptops with Nvidia Optimus, you have to use a dx8->dx9 wrapper for Nvidia to swap GPUs (unless this was also fixed, it's been a while since I tried). In other conversations I've had with people, forcing AF/AA didn't seem to work without the wrapper, but clearly it's working fine for you guys so maybe they were doing something wrong. I personally opt to use ReShade with depth effects and MSAA/SGSSAA breaks that, so I haven't tested it in a while on any config lol.

PSO's lack of support for multiple GPUs is a separate problem. The simplest solution is to disable the iGPU in the BIOS so PSO doesn't get confused.

Optimus issues are probably still a thing. Optimus issues are a thing for too many games. Optimus issues are probably always going to be a thing. I am very glad a desktop version didn't take off. SLI / Crossfire probably have issues too, but thats standard.

I haven't used an ATI AMD card since Episode 4 came out on USBB, so there might have been issues with their drivers I'm unaware of. I seem to recall 16xQ and 8xQ not working properly on my 970...or maybe it was CSAA...didn't seem to make much if any of a difference in IQ so I would always go back to 4x. Now I just run 4x4 super sampling and forget about it.

Optimus issues are AMD and nVidia made. They decided old games such as DirectX 8.1 games would never be supported. It is only DirectX 9 or newer games supported.

Back