Please revisit the post-Lv. 200 Grind debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we should let people level to 250 and give some incentives to encourage you to do so.

Level 205 unlocks the HUney strip club. Let them live in their natural habitat for once.

Level 210 lets you swap between your character and NOL any time.

Level 220 adds RAmarls to the HUney strip club.

Level 225 gives you a clean Heat Saber with 100 hit.

Level 230 gives you a BSOD.

Level 240 gives you a Dark Flow with 0/0/50/50/50 so you can be the min-maxed HUcast you were meant to be.

Level 250 gives you a permanent MOME companion.

I'm kind of surprised that the idea of boosted rates after level 200 is so controversial. It really seems like infrequent players want to punish frequent ones out of spite, because they don't have any level 200 characters yet. The whole point of leveling up is to increase your character's statistics, so once you reach level 200, you don't have much to shoot for anymore, unless you find reaching personal total EXP goals satisfying. Considering most RPGs' rewards are contingent on how long you play, small rate increases for massive EXP increases hardly seems game breaking, but not many people seem to have much rationale for not wanting it, except for "no".

I think PSO is a game most fun when you have multiple characters. I see level 200 as a place where you either have to deal with stopping gaining EXP, or go to another character. As in, it kinda encourages you to want to play the game in a more fun way. The problem with something like level 250 is that it encourages you to only ever use 1 character for the best drop rate, which isn't the most fun way to play the game.

it encourages you to only ever use 1 character for the best drop rate
This isn't a problem with good drop charts, as a single character can only have one Section ID. No matter how much EXP you get or how high your rate boost is, there are plenty of items you can never find on that character, so you're still encouraged to play more than one. You've probably found most of the easy drops on that ID by the time you reach level 200, so rate boosts encourage you to try to find that ID's ubers.

This isn't a problem with good drop charts, as a single character can only have one Section ID. No matter how much EXP you get or how high your rate boost is, there are plenty of items you can never find on that character, so you're still encouraged to play more than one. You've probably found most of the easy drops on that ID by the time you reach level 200, so rate boosts encourage you to try to find that ID's ubers.
There's a way around that. Just make one character of each ID and get them to level 80. You can still do all your real playing with 1 character.

It really seems like infrequent players want to punish frequent ones out of spite, because they don't have any level 200 characters yet.
Considering the people in this thread who have already responded against the idea of a rate boost, myself included, I don't think this argument has merit.
not many people seem to have much rationale for not wanting it, except for "no".
Ephinea has a lot of other rate boosts, two of which are activated for a week each every month (+25% DAR and +25% RDR) and one of which can be leveled up by playing quests (up to +25% DAR and +6% RDR). A permanent +25% or so boost to either of these wouldn't be "broken" on its own, but combined with the boosts we already have in play, plus potential event boosts, well...

Also, as I've already said, someone who has multiple level 200 characters already has a lot of wealth on the server. Why increase that proportion even further? :confused:
No matter how much EXP you get or how high your rate boost is, there are plenty of items you can never find on that character, so you're still encouraged to play more than one.
In PSO, a party's Section ID is based on its leader, so you can find all of the items in the game with your higher rate boosts as long as someone else makes the game. Even without another player, it's trivial to do something like make a bunch of throwaway Section ID characters on a separate account, level them all to 80, and use them to make games so you can find any item...

Yes, but that would mean to hunt in multimode, where enemys are stronger..There are always arguments against, but its 2018 now the game is pretty old, we can be happy about every veteran who still plays, so why dont give them a little bonus? There have been some really good options contemplated and personally i wouldnt even mind a small rdr bonus but to much noisy brats " it has always been like that, etc we cant do that, they can start a new char, 32 *200 gogo, too much boni" (of course its the better option to possibly loose many of them in the future by keeping the current state).

I had a idea instead of a permanent ? bonus we could have a drink shop located at the medic centre where buffs can bought for every single game for meseta/"item xy" or selling an item in the xp shop which grants the rdr?/other bonus. So it would be motivating to go on. My first post,omg i was so scared that the people that are against that could argue "but then its a must to go post 200 to have access to this items from this shop"so i didnt share all my thoughts yet, tbh i wouldnt mind them to even have some great stuff buyable.
Make the effort they put into their hunts/supporting the community with joining public partys etc worthwile , so that the frustration about getting no improvements for their gear, even after investing endless hours less painful, and im lucky i got the notification about the last post and i want to share my opinion about the wealth of the rich player and the proportion compared to ? casuals?: they deserve it, worked hard for it so the argument to keep proportions somehow doesnt work for me, because this are the players which have been loyal to ephinea and spent sooo much of their restricted life time here, compared to players we might never know if they been willing to enrich the servers as the veterans did and who knows how fast they quit after starting to play bb out of nostalgia or<put any reason here to come back to bb > so this cant be a reason from my point of view to not support the lvl 200s further......

Last edited:
Reactions: Ade
Not talking about your arguments here, but I just want to say there's also people like me Yuffie, who support the server from the start but have a job and others games to try. I don't have a 200 character, doesn't mean i don't have an opinion and should shut up. Nobody force you to restrict your life.

I really like this idea from @Yuffie having some sort of short-term boost (Like this rdr/dar potion drink), costs so much EXP and you ''use'' it. Can prevent too much stacking, by only allowing one to work per game or something. Unsure of how difficult/easy that would be to implement though since it would be adding those during the game rather than during the load of the game/hbr quest.

Not talking about your arguments here, but I just want to say there's also people like me Yuffie, who support the server from the start but have a job and others games to try. I don't have a 200 character, doesn't mean i don't have an opinion and should shut up. Nobody force you to restrict your life.
You are very welcome to say your opinion and I hope not a single word of my post gave you the feeling to "should shut up" Everyone is equal of course lvl 1 and lvl 200 and please not that job thing again. I don't care if someone has a job or not, works at Mc Donald's or is a lawyer, has health issues, etc.... I do care about the person behind the screen (and I was told many times that I'm to kind hearted:p) If someone can spent much more time then others they just gain the new bonus a bit earlier right? Btw for myself it's not a restriction to play only one game but it can taste a bit sweeter if we are able to improve it with fair things like this. ;) like what you do with releasing HD areas and the other great stuff, see this is just a different part of Pso and this game/server really deserves it to discuss about possible qol changes which might already led to the best Psobb experience possible to play so far and why not go a step further and integrate this for the lvl 200 pioneer 2 veterans ;) keep em alive!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ade
You are very welcome to say your opinion and I hope not a single word of my post gave you the feeling to "should shut up" Everyone is equal of course lvl 1 and lvl 200 and please not that job thing again. I don't care if someone has a job or not, works at Mc Donald's or is a lawyer, has health issues, etc.... I do care about the person behind the screen (and I was told many times that I'm to kind hearted:p) If someone can spent much more time then others they just gain the new bonus a bit earlier right? Btw for myself it's not a restriction to play only one game but it can taste a bit sweeter if we are able to improve it with fair things like this. ;) like what you do with releasing HD areas and the other great stuff, see this is just a different part of Pso and this game/server really deserves it to discuss about possible qol changes which might already led to the best Psobb experience possible to play so far and why not go a step further and integrate this for the lvl 200 pioneer 2 veterans ;) keep em alive!

Sorry if i misinterpreted your post and i appreciate your well written response, and i agree with the bonuses, i'm just tired to see the subject of new/casuals/veterans/elite players in this topic, noisy minority, silent majority, dismissive people, that has nothing good to bring except splitting the community even more. Just my feeling.

I would prefer a "prestige-like" mechanic which resets your level to 1 and adds some permanent bonus.
Something like +5% DAR each reset for a max of +25%, after that, you get like +2.5% RDR each reset with a max of 25%. (I'm just throwing in some random numbers here.)

seconded
idr if i said this before but it should be pretty obvious that we shouldnt have level 201 players running around. if this is implemented, it should be as a character trait rather than a level past 200, and i dont think it should be visible to other players either.

i stopped playing pso because its extremely unrewarding. i dont want that aspect of the game to change, but theres only so much content to experience and i feel like ive done it all while having only a tenth the playtime some of you have here.

no one wants to play a game without a feeling of accomplishment

Also, a bit of an aside, but with regard to "veterans quitting" being a problem that makes the player count dwindle - sure, it's a factor, but the vast majority of people who stop playing on Ephinea do it long before they reach level 200 on even a single character.

Just make one character of each ID and get them to level 80. You can still do all your real playing with 1 character.
Such an exploit is a flaw of the individual drop system and multiclienting moreso than the concept of EXP rate boosts.

Ephinea has a lot of other rate boosts, two of which are activated for a week each every month (+25% DAR and +25% RDR) and one of which can be leveled up by playing quests (up to +25% DAR and +6% RDR). A permanent +25% or so boost to either of these wouldn't be "broken" on its own, but combined with the boosts we already have in play, plus potential event boosts, well...
A) I never said the EXP rate boosts should be 25%, and B) you could always adjust the other boosts if necessary. They aren't gospel.

Since EXP rate boosts are essentially personal boosts, you could avoid some of the mentioned problems by having the boosts only apply to teams you create, so you can't use your own boosts to profit from somebody else's ID.

Maybe instead of boosting drop rates, you could redeem exp/points for Halloween Cookies and something equivalent? (more quests with increased drop rates that utilize items to tickets?) That way they can earn access to higher drop rate quests while being able to bring friends and not actually be getting a permanent RDR/DAR buff.

IDK, just trying to keep conversation productive.

uwu

I'm going to refer back to this earlier suggestion. Potentially let post-200 players purchase "cookie" like items that allow the to boost drop rates for a single quest, regardless of the quest. "Hey, i want to hunt SJS! I'll use this Ephinea Cookie to boost RDR by 50% (% is arbitrary and can be changed, don't be stupid) and run a Skyly PW4 with my friends."

Regardless of implementation, you could give ONLY level 200 characters the ability to purchase and use these items, and then they could invite friends to join them for the quest. Otherwise, they could also hoard them for themselves or share with other level 200's to create a level 200 community of cookie sharing.

tl;dr

I think it would be much better to allow level 200 characters to purchase and use halloween cookie-like items for drop rate boosts rather than giving them inherent bonuses.

Last edited:
It should be a permanent bonus. I think some of you don't have even the slightest idea of the crazy amount of time needed to reach 450 million experience points. (Which was Matt's original proposed hard cap.)

Go ahead and make Max Attack S unplayable by Lv. 200 characters, as well. That's fine by me. (So after 83 million you can't abuse it anymore.) Not to mention that anyone who DID Lv. from 1 to 200 using MAS only would be sorely lacking in equipment / wealth since nothing drops there.

I have an idea: Let's let the Lv. 200's ONLY vote on this in THREE MONTHS. Don't like it? Get a character to Lv. 200. Prettymuch every improvement on this server for the past two years has either been for EVERYONE or for low-level people. There has been NOTHING specifically set aside for veteran players and it shows in the retention rate. I can't believe I'm still here trying to do anything while a bunch of people who care about the game way less than me get to dictate my enjoyment of it.

One Lv. 200 character = one vote. (So I would get 4, and some people would get even more.) There's a certain desperation you get in lacking a feeling of progression that a character who is still leveling simply would not understand, and should therefore not have a say in the matter. No 75% majority nonsense. It either passes with over 50% of the vote or it doesn't. (Since the population of Lv. 200s is such a small subset of the actual population.)

Let the entire population of "progression-walled" people decide for themselves how progression will continue, if at all.

Regarding the desperation at not feeling progress: Again, I don't care if this comes off as cold and unfeeling because it is a FACT. I have experienced it. So I'm either lying, or I'm mistaken. I seriously doubt either. I was willing to put my emotions on my sleeve the other day because I'm an honest person. I was seriously pissed off at the community for squashing everything I try to do. I'm probably one of the most generous and kind-hearted players on this server, but only the bad stuff is remembered. It's enough to really tick someone off.

There are only one or two individuals who are completely happy with how things are right now for Lv. 200's, and these are the same people who believe that it's unfair that veteran players are wealthier than newer players, just to give an indication of their intelligence level.

And to address the idiotic "play other games" argument: I HAVE been playing other games a lot BECAUSE I feel no sense of progression in PSO anymore. However, I MISS playing PSO with people. But JUST THE PEOPLE are not enough. There has to be a sense of progression that goes with it. This is self-evident by the fact that every online video game is not simply a chat room.

We're talking about extending the viability of a character to over five times its original lifespan (without any stat gain and a modest drop increase) and somehow people have a problem with this. Do you want MORE people to play with, or LESS? It's your choice.

Last edited:
Sorry if i misinterpreted your post and i appreciate your well written response, and i agree with the bonuses, i'm just tired to see the subject of new/casuals/veterans/elite players in this topic, noisy minority, silent majority, dismissive people, that has nothing good to bring except splitting the community even more. Just my feeling.

I have an idea: Let's let the Lv. 200's ONLY vote on this in THREE MONTHS. Don't like it? Get a character to Lv. 200. Prettymuch every improvement on this server for the past two years has either been for EVERYONE or for low-level people. There has been NOTHING specifically set aside for veteran players and it shows in the retention rate. I can't believe I'm still here trying to do anything while a bunch of people who care about the game way less than me get to dictate my enjoyment of it.

couldn't make this up, really

Boosting DAR and RDR or even buying one time use items with EXP sounds awful. As it was stated earlier in thread, there are enough boosts on Ephinea to improve drop chances through HBR and events. Most hunts are already ruined because too many items were previously injected in the economy, raising drop chances further wouldn't help at all.
If anything, extra EXP should be about improving players' current gear, ie Photon Spheres (or maybe Photon Drops to add more liquidity).

I HAVE been playing other games a lot BECAUSE I feel no sense of progression in PSO anymore. However, I MISS playing PSO with people. But JUST THE PEOPLE are not enough. There has to be a sense of progression that goes with it.
Maybe it's time to step up your game and learn Challenge mode/Battle mode, or even improve your Normal mode skill by doing Time Attack. That should give you a good sense of progression and accomplishment.

Go ahead and make Max Attack S unplayable by Lv. 200 characters, as well.
What if I want to play these with my levels 200 for other purposes than EXP?

It should be a permanent bonus. I think some of you don't have even the slightest idea of the crazy amount of time needed to reach 450 million experience points. (Which was Matt's original proposed hard cap.)

Go ahead and make Max Attack S unplayable by Lv. 200 characters, as well. That's fine by me. (So after 83 million you can't abuse it anymore.) Not to mention that anyone who DID Lv. from 1 to 200 using MAS only would be sorely lacking in equipment / wealth since nothing drops there.

IDK, it kind of just seems like you're only interested in your exact idealized post-200 endgame and will instantly dismiss any ideas that aren't your own. Like, you care more about having your ideas being implemented than what large groups of people actually want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back