Please revisit the post-Lv. 200 Grind debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea I love that fruitless 124125125 year hunt for a item that will never drop, and when it does it wont drop with the required hit because PSOBB is retarded and has EVA out the ass. Fuck fairness, it should all be luck and no effort rewards. /sarcasm
If you don't like PSO don't play it!!
Also let's all post productively aaaa I don't want this thread to become a shitfest the third time around ; . ;

Seems that this is a multi-part issue where everyone does want some form of incentive.
I think a prestige system with name colors (and PS reward?) would be the least controversial. Tying experience to some form of currency seems problematic, but I think it could be done in a way that doesn't give overwhelming advantage to level 200's, it'd just give a bit more guaranteed reward for time invested into the game.

I don't think bonus RDR or DAR is a good idea for the prestige system.

Last edited:
Fuck fairness, it should all be luck and no effort rewards. /sarcasm
PSO's been like that for almost 20 years. :confused: What game are you playing?

I want...

I want the level cap to stay 200.

I want a post-200 progression system. I would call it the License Upgrade. On your first License Upgrade, that blank slot over your head when cycling through tab fields will become a title. Like a challenge mode rank. Ideally with more than a few levels.

I want a little variance on the progression. Not only would it require a certain amount of EXP, but it would require a certain amount of kills. The kill counter progression will reset on each License Upgrade and it only counts Ultimate kills.

I want progression tracked through My Career. That is less likely to happen than this, so lets add a Guild Lady to the Hunter's Guild instead which is only present outside of a quest. She will also tell you the current boost levels, and have a special shop.

I want different rewards for license upgrades that stack on your character. Some levels will boost your DAR, others will boost your rare drop rate.

I want the previous rewards to be capped earlier than Matt's initial idea. I don't care how they're distributed - 0.5% per upgrade, for example - but both should be capped at 10%.

I want that special shop to be available once you hit the top license. The Guild Lady will present you with an offer from Black Paper to share your experience for valuable items. After X amount of EXP is gained, you can trade that for a random item from a specific pool (Photon Drop, Photon Crystal, TP Material, Luck Material, Scape Doll.)

I want a Scape Doll in the pool because it is Black Paper and fuck you.

I want impossible things, but it was nice to share.

If you don't like PSO don't play it!!
Also let's all post productively aaaa I don't want this thread to become a shitfest the third time around ; . ;

Yeah. We've seriously had these kinds of topics/suggestions a few times now, and the moment the topics of "grinding" or "lack of PDs" came into play early, shit hit the fan FAST. And we all know where that got us: topics full of arguments that never went anywhere since no one wanted to make a compromise, and locked once it became clear that no proper resolution or middle ground would be achieved. So perhaps we should avoid the pitfall of immediately seeking a change purely to help hardcore/veteran players get rares/PDs/PSs much faster than your average casual (because let's face it: if you have the ability to achieve high HBR benefits and grind with those benefits, then you're already much better off than the average player that can't give up NEARLY the same amount of time in their lives for the same benefits), and actually consider alternatives that won't trigger Korean MMO-born paranoia this time? You know, figure out a few things that both casual and veteran players can agree on (hint: it's not increased drop and PD rates that are exclusive to veteran/hardcore/tryhard players), and work from there.

That being said:

Seems that this is a multi-part issue where everyone does want some form of incentive.
I think a prestige system with name colors (and PS reward?) would be the least controversial. Tying experience to some form of currency seems problematic, but I think it could be done in a way that doesn't give overwhelming advantage to level 200's, it'd just give a bit more guaranteed reward for time invested into the game.

I don't think bonus RDR or DAR is a good idea for the prestige system.

I kinda have to agree with anime here. When I last spoke on the topic, I wasn't at 200 (still not there, but that's because I don't play as often as I'd like to these days, and I have the tendency to jump between characters/weapon types when I feel that one playstyle is starting to grow stale at the time), but I agreed that level 200 players needed some incentive to keep playing. I know I was against a prestige system before, but it could work out for PSO if done in a way where it's more optional than mandatory (tying a PD/PS/DAR/RDR reward to it would make it feel like the latter). Benefits that are more cosmetic in nature and/or don't really break the balance between casual and veteran players would likely be something that I feel a lot of people would be okay with. Except the petty ones who feel that even cosmetics locked behind endgame features is too much, or those who are like "fuck cosmetics" and only care about anything that speeds up progress towards MAXIMUM PVP GOD MODE (not really a thing here in the PvP sense, since the Battle Mode community isn't that huge, but the same concepts apply to PvE as well)!

And while I know I was okay with the lvl. 250 idea, with how level cap increases in MMOs usually work, I can see how some people would be nervous about a larger level cap number.

Last edited:
All discussion regarding the "level cap increase" should cease. It was already decided in the old thread that the level floating over your character's head would not change. There would be some alternate menu or something where you could see your beyond Lv. 200 progress and RDR boost. Please read the old topic before commenting and derailing this discussion.

Boosting RDR by 25% over the course of 370 million additional experience, which maybe a total of 5 players have on the server, is not broken at all. It would be limited to that character ONLY, so you'd really have to commit (ie. Hydro).

We're talking reducing the drop rate of SJS from 1/12k to 1/9.5k. Rares aren't exactly going to start falling off trees. It's a good way to incentivize an EXTREMELY long play period without breaking the game. It's wins on all sides.

Let's say you never get to this point: At least the server population would increase and you'd have a better time playing because the longtime veterans would get an incentive they actually want and come back. A larger player base generally means a better economy and more capitalistic competition. Everyone wins. Players who have RDR boosts and find more rares will still have to compete price-wise. This is assuming anyone beyond a small handful of players ever get a good boost.

A prestige system won't work because I don't think there's a way to "level down" without seriously messing up the game.

(Just clarifying previous information that seems to have been ignored from the old thread. Not arguing. Thanks.)

I also think the argument that "old players are already rich" is unfair. They are rich because they've played a lot. The problem is, they aren't playing anymore because they have nothing left to play for.

Okay, I guess I am arguing back a little, but it's hard to sit on the sidelines and see all of this misinformation flying about. Sorry =[

Here's another way to look at it: The admins have continually sided with "no action" when changes like this are proposed because a small vocal minority always crushes everything, but now the population on the server is the lowest it's been for a long time. Maybe all of those naysayers are incorrect and we should try some of this stuff.

Last edited:
Boosting RDR by 25% over the course of 370 million additional experience, which maybe a total of 5 players have on the server, is not broken at all.
Without taking how it stacks with weekly boosts/events/HBR into account? At all? Really?
At least the server population would increase and you'd have a better time playing because the longtime veterans would get an incentive they actually want and come back.
I have a fine time playing with the current server population, thanks. It doesn't matter much which group of people are playing, as long as they're polite.
A prestige system won't work because I don't think there's a way to "level down" without seriously messing up the game.
[citation needed]

I'm operating on the assumption that leveling down would cause serious issues because I've seen it mentioned by Admins in the past. I'm not digging up the specific post. Perhaps one of them could elaborate? In the meantime, I'm assuming I'm correct because some other server would have tried it by now.

@Ryan : It sounds like you have a particularly good setup or group of friends, but your personal situation does not account for the large number of veterans who have quit because they have nothing to do, which is indisputable. This isn't just Ryan Star Online. It's a game for everyone.

I'm operating on the assumption that leveling down would cause serious issues
It's possible, but I'd wait for confirmation. Replacing the character with a level 1 shouldn't be hard. I'm not sure if there are complications with materials, equipped items, or inventory stuff.

It's possible, but I'd wait for confirmation. Replacing the character with a level 1 shouldn't be hard. I'm not sure if there are complications with materials, equipped items, or inventory stuff.

Nobody would want to go all the way back to Lv. 1. If we're going to do this, send them back to Lv. 180 (which is still less than halfway to 200) so their equipped items don't get messed up. Also, there needs to be some tangible reward each time this is done.

However, this isn't going to work because it would require resetting the EXP value to the appropriate level, which means all of the post Lv. 200 EXP for people who have accumulated hundreds of millions would be negated.

I say we stick to remaining Lv. 200 but finding some way to reward players who continue accumulating XP. This prestige system is already a huge mess and we're only theorizing right now.

The game already continues to count XP past 200, so that framework is already in place. Finding a way to reward THAT would be better than messing with character levels. My way would also be a lot less work for the Admins to implement since they wouldn't have to break a core game mechanic. They would just have to add to what's already there.

This needs to be something simple, clearly defined, NOT messy, and easy to understand. THAT is what will bring people back. Not a big hot mess of reverted progression and loss of playability.

Maybe instead of boosting drop rates, you could redeem exp/points for Halloween Cookies and something equivalent? (more quests with increased drop rates that utilize items to tickets?) That way they can earn access to higher drop rate quests while being able to bring friends and not actually be getting a permanent RDR/DAR buff.

IDK, just trying to keep conversation productive.

uwu

This isn't just Ryan Star Online. It's a game for everyone.
I can't believe you have the audacity to bring up suggestions, refute people's arguments against your suggestions by calling them "irrational", ignore others' opinions in general, and then post something like this. Wow.

Also, I play in unlocked games pretty often, so your argument's both off-topic and invalid. You're making a lot of assumptions and derailing the discussion.

DO NOT GET THIS LOCKED PLEASE T_T

I can't believe you have the audacity to bring up suggestions, refute people's arguments against your suggestions by calling them "irrational", ignore others' opinions in general, and then post something like this. Wow.

Also, I play in unlocked games pretty often, so your argument's both off-topic and invalid. You're making a lot of assumptions and derailing the discussion.

@Ryan that was not my intent. I was simply stating that, while the current server setup is good enough to keep you motivated, it has fallen short for many others.

I didn't say your argument was irrational. I acknowledged that the current setup works for you, but has not satisfied many others. That's the very opposite of irrational... I simply made note of what I've seen consistently and witnessing the server population decline.

This, to me, seems like a clear attempt at false outrage for the purpose of ruining the topic. It should be noted that Ryan greatly dislikes me and is probably willing to ruin this discussion for everyone else just to spite me. *sigh

He's probably posting in some other Forum / Discord right now to his buddies about how fantastic of a job he is doing ruining my topic. I urge everyone to ignore this vendetta-driven individual and stay on topic.

The things you want aren't the things everyone else wants, either. You need some kind of progression system post-200 to keep you from getting bored with the game. I join random games on my current 200s with no expectation of getting upgrades for my gear or uber-rare drops. I just join them to help players out and to have fun with the game.

It's asinine to act like I'm the only one with this opinion; I see plenty of level 200 characters playing who continue to play the game, and I've never seen anyone complain about the issue of "getting bored" with the volume that you do.

The things you want aren't the things everyone else wants, either. You need some kind of progression system post-200 to keep you from getting bored with the game. I join random games on my current 200s with no expectation of getting upgrades for my gear or uber-rare drops. I just join them to help players out and to have fun with the game.

It's asinine to act like I'm the only one with this opinion; I see plenty of level 200 characters playing who continue to play the game, and I've never seen anyone complain about the issue of "getting bored" with the volume that you do.

The reason you don't see that is because they're already gone. I cling to hope that things can improve. I've also received MANY PMs from people, after topics like this were ruined by the extreme vocal minority, who regretted not speaking up.

Well guys, now is your chance.

Hopefully @Matt can leave this open for a few days despite that things have gotten a bit rough here the last few posts.

If some of you vets want some post Lv. 200 progression incentives, even if you haven't been playing lately, I urge you to speak up about it and let your voice be heard. Don't let the same people who shoot down every single idea continue to run the server by shouting everyone down. Please.

Think of a server where there's 150+ engaged and excited players on most days. Not 40 to 60...

BACK ON TOPIC!!
I don't think a prestige system is as complicated as you think, Ade, and the whole point is to start at level 1 again. Maybe this isn't the best solution, I just proposed it as the least controversial, because if anything is going to amount from this thread, it's going to have to be a compromise. There is a reason this is the third thread on the same topic.

...Anyway, I think having an extra post-200 million xp be tradeable for an item or cosmetic would be great. if you could trade an amount of these items, EXP tickets, for something cosmetic like a name color change would be so cool.
I very much appreciate the posts by Aki_Leaves with the bunny avatar. Good posts fellas. I think having levels 201+ would be kinda ehhhhh but ya cosmetics and prestige system ^^ anime's post just now was good.
hidoomandmigium.png

do not act like these fools, splitting apart. stay together as one strong pso two-faced community.

BACK ON TOPIC!!
I don't think a prestige system is as complicated as you think, Ade, and the whole point is the start at level 1 again. Maybe this isn't the best solution, I just proposed it as the least controversial, because if anything is going to amount from this thread, it's going to have to be a compromise. There is a reason this is the third thread on the same topic.

I don't think a lot of people want to start back at Lv. 1 and get nothing for doing so. We have 32 character slots on our account. Why not just roll a new one?

The idea of the post Lv. 200 progression is to give Lv. 200 characters something to urge them to continue playing their Lv. 200s. Please read Matt's original post in the first topic. The prestige system is a derivative method that was never on the table.

Unless the newly "prestiged" character gets some sort of permanent boost that carries over to the Lv. 1 re-roll, nobody would want this.

I don't think a lot of people want to start back at Lv. 1 and get nothing for doing so. We have 32 character slots on our account. Why not just roll a new one?.

a prestige system wouldnt involve having nothing, there would be some type of reward. thats why its a system and not just deleting your character

I don't think a lot of people want to start back at Lv. 1 and get nothing for doing so.
Yea my proposal involved progressing colored names per prestige, possibly a Photon Sphere or something. I'm not deciding on a concrete reward, because everyone has different ideas for that. I'd just like to brainstorm ideas for this without shutting it down.

Edit: I read the first and last post of the old thread. The old 201-250 was thrown out because it was too split of an issue. I am proposing an alternative!

RIYFLDO.png

^relevant part of the lastpost from Matt for reference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back