New item idea: Precision Enhancer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I don't really see the point. If it's that rare it's bordering on V2's problem of having lots of new items that are effectively unobtainable, so why did Sega even bother adding them in the first place? The fact that you've suggested it be this rare from the outset (rather than it being nerfed in a subsequent update after somebody notices that it's turned the game upside down due to being too easy to get) is proof that it shouldn't exist at all.

Well said. I'm modifying my original idea due to a very constructive conversation with Dab.

On @anime 's post about the server rules, I would say this falls under the "minor exceptions." Go back to the first post to see. (I'm updating it now so it may be a minute.)

@Aleron Ives : You're missing the point. The rarity is ridiculous, yes, but it's a SMALL GLIMMER that maybe something good can happen on PSO today for those who are reaching the end of the line. When you log in to PSO and the chances that you're going to improve your character / setup in any way are basically zero, it hurts. A lot.

Think about how many hunts you'd get out of this item. Over 99% of them would be unsuccessful, but who cares? It gives you a REASON TO PLAY.

Why can't anyone ever see what I'm getting at? -_____-;

Vanilla PSO never got to this point because it was ruined by cheating or memory card corruption. We're at a point where we can reasonably extrapolate measures Sega would have taken to maintain interest in the game had their playerbase come anywhere NEAR the point we are.

Last edited:
Think about how many hunts you'd get out of this item. Over 99% of them would be unsuccessful, but who cares? It gives you a REASON TO PLAY.

Why can't anyone ever see what I'm getting at? -_____-;
the problem is you're saying that to counter the 1/4573857943 drops we need another 1/54385734890734 drop

You're missing the point. [...] It gives you a REASON TO PLAY.
I think you're missing the point that PSO is an action RPG, not a slot machine. If you don't enjoy killing doods for the sake of killing doods in the first place, then no number of ultra rare new drops is going to keep you interested in the game forever.

the problem is you're saying that to counter the 1/4573857943 drops we need another 1/54385734890734 drop

Absurd and hyperbolic.

The chances of finding items with insane hit with the desired special attack gets into the one in several-hundred-thousands or into the millions.

1/28,807 is about 2.9% of one million and is findable given tremendous persistence. Stop being disingenuous.

I think you're missing the point that PSO is an action RPG, not a slot machine. If you don't enjoy killing doods for the sake of killing doods in the first place, then no number of ultra rare new drops is going to keep you interested in the game forever.

Yes, but assuming I would need to find about 16 of these suckers to add 10% hit to all of my "good" weapons, it would sure keep me busy for about another 5 to 8 years. That counts for something.

I mean, come on dude, nothing lasts forever. That's not the point. The point is to delay the mindset of, "There's no way I can improve my character in any reasonable amount of time" for as long as possible.

THIS IS A NORMAL CONCEPT IN ALL ONLINE GAMES POST 2004. Come on. I'm sick of everyone feigning ignorance on this!

I don't understand how you can complain about having nothing to do in PSO and then ask for something like this. All this would do is prolong your boredom wall until you have 70% Hit on everything. It's true that the bank limit increase and Mines drop buffs were good ideas, but that doesn't mean this is a good idea.
In Ade's defense, when something is as rare as a SJS, getting to 70% hit is not going to happen. Neither do I think the word 'complain' does Ade any justice.

I don't understand how you can complain about having nothing to do in PSO and then ask for something like this. All this would do is prolong your boredom wall until you have 70% Hit on everything. It's true that the bank limit increase and Mines drop buffs were good ideas, but that doesn't mean this is a good idea.
If it is as rare as a SJS then do the math. You will need about 10 'SJS' for 20 hit weapon to get to 70 hit. The argument itself does not stand.

Ade did have a point though. A reason to do anything at all is needed for you to do anything at all. It is even a psychological fact written down in science. Doing anything just for the sake of doing so is pointless.

Why not play for the sake of playing, all this hunting and needing to improve seems to be making you miserable.
Don't try to project your thoughts about how someone else is feeling or is suppose to be feeling since you (or me for that matter) don't have a clue. I have spoken with Ade multiple times (not yet about this idea) but he is far from feeling miserable as far as I can tell. Agree or disagree but at least try to make a distinction between reason and emotion and use the first to debate, not the latter. This kind of a reaction can enbitter someone about the state of the community itself which is totally unnecessary.

Description:

Developed in secret by The Lab. When used with a Photon Sphere, it boosts the Hit % of a weapon by 5%. (Weapon must have at least 5% Hit and cannot be boosted past 70%.)

------------------------

This item could drop on a few of the "weaker" IDs in some of the weaker areas. (Redria has fallen hard, for example.) The rarity should be set to the same level as that of 11-star weapons (1/28k from grunts and 1/12k from bigger enemies). That way, the item itself would be worth a lot. To farm enough of these to fully boost one weapon would take a tremendous commitment. (It would be essentially the same rarity as a J-Sword.)

Limiting the effectiveness of this item to 70% would still make the prospect of hunting for higher hit an endless endeavor. This would simply be a nice way to augment that process.

Edit: Also, the base item has to have Hit % to begin with, so this is an uphill battle on many fronts. It would also be a very difficult choice. "Do I use this on my 35 Hit HS or hold out for a better one to drop?" It's an exciting prospect.

Furthermore, the Sphere requirement would create another PD / Sphere sink which would offset some of the "event inflation," we've seen. An extra menu could be added to Paganini for this feature, similar to adding %s to weapons or specials to S-Ranks.

I'm sure @XII would love to create some new text for Paganini after Lost Son Hopkins was removed :(

We could zoom in even closer to his face and have it say "You have done VERY WELL!" when boosting Hit %. xD

Edit 2: Change name of suggested item as "Precision Booster" would have been easily confused with both "PB" and "Photon Booster."

Crap...PC is confusing too.

Let's go with "Precision Enhancer."

Edit: Update due to a very good and constructive Discord conversation with Dab:

Item can only be used TWICE on any weapon and cannot boost the hit past 65 (rather than 70.) So if you find something with 50% hit and you manage to find two of this INSANELY RARE item, the best you can get is 60, for example. Is that better?

Another thing: Obviously cannot be used on S-Ranks, but CAN be used on enemy part weapons, effectively capping them at 60. And yes, Schtserv had a 60h Bringer's Rifle what was way less broken than other crazy crap they did.

For me, I see nothing againt the idea itself but it would not add much for me as well. It is too rare to consider it huntable for it's use (+5% hit) and if implemented, I would not hunt it myself. On the other hand, when being made less rare, it can break the game too. My point is, where is the balance exactly when implemented? This con is purely from a practical perspective, in theory an item like that could work.

Last edited:
Sometimes an idea comes from the feeling of, "Wouldn't it be cool if," instead of "I'm so miserable so I need..."

This is a unique suggestion, but this thread isn't worth this "what if" fun discussion. Due to unpleasantness from both sides, and due to the fact that I'm tired of babysitting this thread (I've already deleted about 30 messages), I'm locking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back