Latest DLL doesn't allow BB to run on Windows VM

Dab

pso winner
Guildcard
Hello to our wonderful admins,

So at work I use a Mac, and I have a license for VMWare Fusion. I was able to install and play PSOBB on this VM without an issue -- I like it this way because IT only sees I'm using VMWare Fusion, and not PSOBB. Sneaky, right? :cool:

I just booted it up and it popped up with "Sorry, this application cannot run on a Virtual Machine" after clicking the Start button on the launcher. The app will open, but it says " DLL ERROR " in the bottom left-hand corner of the start screen.

Any ideas how to get this running again? Anything would be appreciated! I know this is abnormal, so I won't be upset if you don't want to waste time on this. ;)

Here's what I found online for this.

Fully shutdown your VM.

Open "Finder" and navigate inside the "Virtual Machines" folder.

Right click your Windows VM, and click on "Show package contents"

Scroll down till you find a "*.vmx" file and right click, open with, text edit.

Go at the bottom off the text file, and add a new line, copy pasting the following.

monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = "true"

Save and close.

Boot VM and let me know if it works.

Here's what I found online for this.

Fully shutdown your VM.

Open "Finder" and navigate inside the "Virtual Machines" folder.

Right click your Windows VM, and click on "Show package contents"

Scroll down till you find a "*.vmx" file and right click, open with, text edit.

Go at the bottom off the text file, and add a new line, copy pasting the following.

monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = "true"

Save and close.

Boot VM and let me know if it works.

Thanks for taking the time to help! However, the issue is still occurring after running through these steps. Still getting the same error when booting up online.exe. I also re-activated Windows 7 Enterprise and ran the command to re-arm the VM. And when shutting down the second time, there was a Windows Update installed. Still no luck..

If it helps, I downloaded the 'IE11 - Win 7' VM from modern.ie

You can try editing some of the keys in the REGEDIT.

Its for maplestory, on Parallels. but IMO worth a try XD

Please backup your VM before changing the registry. Any modifications of it can cause unexpected errors that would render booting impossible.

OK, should be fixed, just pull from online.exe an updated DLL. Thanks.

Confirmed whatever you did has fixed it. Thanks again, Soda, much appreciated! Now I can play during work again. ;o

Confirmed whatever you did has fixed it. Thanks again, Soda, much appreciated! Now I can play during work again. ;o
You should really not tell me this. I just might do the same :eek:

You should really not tell me this. I just might do the same :eek:
I just use it to sign on and trade people during the day mostly. I play with a controller, and I can't be busting that out during work lol. I know my boss wouldn't care, it's more about my co-workers in my group...:mad:

It's to do with protection we've implemented. We can prevent the application running on a virtual machine. I guess the settings were too strict.

Hello, sorry to be a bother, but the new ephinea.dll released today is giving the "Sorry, this application cannot run on a Virtual Machine" error. It would be great if this could get fixed, but I'll understand if you'll need some time to address this or if it ultimately cannot be resolved at this time. Thank you for your support up to now, appreciate the time and effort spent on the server, client and our user experience.

Attachments

• wellthathappened.png
    wellthathappened.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 6
Hello, sorry to be a bother, but the new ephinea.dll released today is giving the "Sorry, this application cannot run on a Virtual Machine" error. It would be great if this could get fixed, but I'll understand if you'll need some time to address this or if it ultimately cannot be resolved at this time. Thank you for your support up to now, appreciate the time and effort spent on the server, client and our user experience.
Patch via the launcher again.

game does not seem to be working via wine since last update, no error message.
Same for me. Uninstalled/reinstalled and still unable to play. I'm able to open the launcher, but when I click Start Game, the launcher just closes and game never starts. I thought I was going crazy but kinda glad to see it's not just me lol.

We compiled the DLL with the latest version of VMProtect.

I have contacted the developers regarding this and are awaiting a solution.

Seems to be a WINE problem rather than a VMProtect problem as it works fine on a real Windows machine or VM, but perhaps the authors of VMProtect know about it and know of a workaround.

Oh, also, I would like to know what version of WINE you are all using? Is it stable 6.0.3? I see a VMProtect issue was fixed for Roblox with development version 6.11. The development version of wine is at 6.23, so try using that if you aren't already instead of the stable branch.

Oh, also, I would like to know what version of WINE you are all using?
I have no idea, and I also don't know how to check. I do know that it is the "Wine Stable" branch, though.

Would you, or anyone else here, know how to check?

I have no idea, and I also don't know how to check. I do know that it is the "Wine Stable" branch, though.

Would you, or anyone else here, know how to check?

Open up a terminal and run wine --version. It will say something like "wine-1.9.2"; if you are using Git then you will have a version along the lines of "wine-1.9.2-231-gb922b55".

Back