Latest DLL doesn't allow BB to run on Windows VM

ive tried wine 6.23 and 6.0. as well as several of the lutris versions- lutris-fshack-6.14-4, lutris-6.10-7, lutris-6.0, lutris-5.7-11
all seem to have the same issue (clicking play and no processes start)

Haven't used wine on any nix platform in nearly a decade, but can't you run psobb.exe on the command line using wine to get a log of errors?

Code:
wine psobb.exe 2>&1 | tee psobb.error.log

Maybe there are hints for the issue there?

NVM, Soda found the issue.

Last edited:
Hi, please patch through the launcher and let me know if the issue is resolved with v1321 of the DLL.

Thanks.

Hey, I was having the same issue when playing with wine on arch linux.

The game worked without issues before the patch on the same version of wine, indeed the same version of everything since I didn't do any system updates since I last played.

I'm currently using wine-6.16. I started it up just now and it patched a new dll, since then the game started up however it seems the settings were reset regarding resolution and sound, and changing them again yielded no effect. In the lower left corner of the menu screen there's a DLL error message, and when logging in it says the server is currently full.

I had the same issue on both my regular slightly modded install, and a fresh install I made yesterday.

Edit: I just upgraded my wine package to 6.23.1 from the repo and the issue remains.

Last edited:
Hey, I was having the same issue when playing with wine on arch linux.

The game worked without issues before the patch on the same version of wine, indeed the same version of everything since I didn't do any system updates since I last played.

I'm currently using wine-6.16. I started it up just now and it patched a new dll, since then the game started up however it seems the settings were reset regarding resolution and sound, and changing them again yielded no effect. In the lower left corner of the menu screen there's a DLL error message, and when logging in it says the server is currently full.

I had the same issue on both my regular slightly modded install, and a fresh install I made yesterday.

Edit: I just upgraded my wine package to 6.23.1 from the repo and the issue remains.
this is happening on my end too, pso now starts but settings dont apply and the game cant connect due to server being full

Yay! Thank you muchly.

It starts, I can log in and create a room without any issues.
I truly appreciate you taking the time making this work for us linux users. Thanks again.
I'll let you know if anything is amiss but I suspect it won't be.

I'm not back in.

I just updated through the launcher and the game still doesn't launch.

Also, doing the "wine --version" thing in terminal doesn't do a thing for me.

I guess I'm screwed.
Your problem is something different. The original problem was with how the new version of VMProtect handles a certain detection.

I figured out a workaround and tested it in my own Linux VM with Wine stable and it’s good, so … yeah! Not sure how I could assist you on this one.

Hello again, chiming in on my side of things. Thank you for your continued support.
Wanted to bring my message to attention for those running real Windows as well as Windows VM due to a similar new issue that got solved on the user side.
A number of non-WINE users were apparently affected by the current dll 1322, myself included, that allowed WINE users to play again.
The common thread for us, the real/VM Windows users, was trying to launch the game and nothing happening after online.exe disappeared, with psobb.exe not doing anything. Similar for attempting to directly launch psobb.exe
Said users also coincidentally had some form of compatibility configured in their psobb.exe and/or online.exe
In other words, as the solver (user Toad (bug guy)#5818 on our Discord) put it, "the new dll is not compatible with [...] compatibility settings, meaning they [...] BREAK the game"
We have found that turning off said compatibility allows us to re-enter the game properly (and have also learned that running as administrator is apparently no longer necessary, either), so I leave this information here for others that seemed to have similar issues.
That said, there seems to be no more major issue at this time, so thank you once more, appreciate it.

Last edited:
I'm not back in.

I just updated through the launcher and the game still doesn't launch.

Also, doing the "wine --version" thing in terminal doesn't do a thing for me.

I guess I'm screwed.
How are you normally launching pso through wine? Have you tried running winecfg as well as wine --version?
If winecfg opens up, the about tab should have the version information you need next to the big Wine title.View attachment 15842

Note that if you use a custom prefix for pso, then simply running winecfg might open another one, depending on what is set as default, in which case you could run it through the proper prefix like so: WINEPREFIX=path/to/prefix winecfg (As an example mine would be WINEPREFIX=~/wineprefixes/psoprefix winecfg)
I'm not entirely certain but I believe lutris and similar software will install their own version as well as prefix, if so then you should be able to find it by entering the configuration of the pso app in there.
If you only have games installed through such software, I guess it'd be possible for you not to have a regular system installed wine version, which would result in a command not found when you try to run it in terminal.

If none of that leads you anywhere, mind telling me which operating system you're running on? I'd love to help if I'm able to, no one should suffer through a winter without some PSO action.

We have found that turning off said compatibility allows us to re-enter the game properly (and have also learned that running as administrator is apparently no longer necessary, either), so I leave this information here for others that seemed to have similar issues.
This should be resolved now.

This should be resolved now.
I'm unfortunately still having issues with the launcher being able to start the game.

If this helps @Sodaboy, I run PSO on a Mid-2017 Macbook Pro running MacOS High Sierra (version 10.13.6)

I'll try to post on the Wine home site that you posted earlier to try to find a way to find out what version of Wine Stable I'm using.

Last edited:
How are you normally launching pso through wine?

I originally followed the instructions in the OP of the above thread to get the game set up and running. It caused the icons of all the .exe files in the EphineaPSOBB folder to turn into icons of a glass of wine. I was then able to just double click on the Online.exe launcher, then click on "START GAME
" within the launcher, and the game would start right up.

Have you tried running winecfg as well as wine --version?
If winecfg opens up, the about tab should have the version information you need next to the big Wine title.View attachment 15842
First off, your attachment cannot be viewed or opened up for some reason.

I don't know jack about using Terminal. All I know is that when I enter the string "wine --version" into Terminal and press enter, that Terminal says "-bash: wine: command not found" and when I try "run wine --version" Terminal says "-bash: run: command not found"

Do I have to do something in Terminal other than simply entering the strings and pressing enter?
Note that if you use a custom prefix for pso, then simply running winecfg might open another one, depending on what is set as default, in which case you could run it through the proper prefix like so: WINEPREFIX=path/to/prefix winecfg (As an example mine would be WINEPREFIX=~/wineprefixes/psoprefix winecfg)
I'm not entirely certain but I believe lutris and similar software will install their own version as well as prefix, if so then you should be able to find it by entering the configuration of the pso app in there.
If you only have games installed through such software, I guess it'd be possible for you not to have a regular system installed wine version, which would result in a command not found when you try to run it in terminal.

I don't know about custom prefixes. I'm going to guess that I don't use one.
If none of that leads you anywhere, mind telling me which operating system you're running on? I'd love to help if I'm able to, no one should suffer through a winter without some PSO action.
As stated earlier in the thread, I'm currently using MacOS High Sierra (Version 10.13.6 specifically) However, I'm currently considering upgrading to Mojave (10.14) if I'm able to.

Thanks for any help this leads to.

I was able to figure out that I'm using Wine Stable version 5.0 that was downloaded from this page.

Hope this helps Sodaboy!
Not really and I'm kind of done looking at it. I'm pretty sure you're one of the only ones, if not the only one, having issues right now.

I'd suggest you upgrade your WINE version to another or try something else as I cannot roll back to the older version of VMP.

Although there was an issue with the latest version of VMProtect on WINE when using an x32 DLL, confirmed by the author themselves, I've already worked around it.

The author will be releasing an updated version which fixes the issue and then I can remove my own workaround, which may help you whenever he does. But I honestly can't setup a VM or environments set up that mimic everyone's configuration who would have a problem launching the game. It's impossible and also too time consuming.

For me, it's enough that the game works on Windows, which is #1 and also works on the majority of configurations, which is #2.

I do hope you figure out your issue with your setup. As I've said, I'd recommend upgrading your WINE version to something newer, like 6.xx based.

Perhaps takes landeel's advice in a previous post.

I get my wine builds from here: https://github.com/Kron4ek/Wine-Builds/releases
The Tkg builds still give me the DLL error.
The Proton builds seem to work fine.

Good luck!

It was refusing to work in my other machine.
Then in winecfg I've changed Windows version from Windows 10 to Windows 7 and it worked.

Back