Latest DLL doesn't allow BB to run on Windows VM

Dab

pso winner
Hello to our wonderful admins,

So at work I use a Mac, and I have a license for VMWare Fusion. I was able to install and play PSOBB on this VM without an issue -- I like it this way because IT only sees I'm using VMWare Fusion, and not PSOBB. Sneaky, right? :cool:

I just booted it up and it popped up with "Sorry, this application cannot run on a Virtual Machine" after clicking the Start button on the launcher. The app will open, but it says " DLL ERROR " in the bottom left-hand corner of the start screen.

Any ideas how to get this running again? Anything would be appreciated! I know this is abnormal, so I won't be upset if you don't want to waste time on this. ;)

skwipe

Awesome Aswesomeness
Here's what I found online for this.

Fully shutdown your VM.

Open "Finder" and navigate inside the "Virtual Machines" folder.

Right click your Windows VM, and click on "Show package contents"

Scroll down till you find a "*.vmx" file and right click, open with, text edit.

Go at the bottom off the text file, and add a new line, copy pasting the following.

monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = "true"

Save and close.

Boot VM and let me know if it works.

Dab

pso winner
Here's what I found online for this.

Fully shutdown your VM.

Open "Finder" and navigate inside the "Virtual Machines" folder.

Right click your Windows VM, and click on "Show package contents"

Scroll down till you find a "*.vmx" file and right click, open with, text edit.

Go at the bottom off the text file, and add a new line, copy pasting the following.

monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = "true"

Save and close.

Boot VM and let me know if it works.

Thanks for taking the time to help! However, the issue is still occurring after running through these steps. Still getting the same error when booting up online.exe. I also re-activated Windows 7 Enterprise and ran the command to re-arm the VM. And when shutting down the second time, there was a Windows Update installed. Still no luck..

If it helps, I downloaded the 'IE11 - Win 7' VM from modern.ie

skwipe

Awesome Aswesomeness
You can try editing some of the keys in the REGEDIT.

Its for maplestory, on Parallels. but IMO worth a try XD

Please backup your VM before changing the registry. Any modifications of it can cause unexpected errors that would render booting impossible.

Dab

pso winner
You should really not tell me this. I just might do the same :eek:
I just use it to sign on and trade people during the day mostly. I play with a controller, and I can't be busting that out during work lol. I know my boss wouldn't care, it's more about my co-workers in my group...:mad:

tofuman

Administrator
Staff member
It's to do with protection we've implemented. We can prevent the application running on a virtual machine. I guess the settings were too strict.