Is it possible to have sound if the client is in the background?

Mad

Guildcard
When I put the client into the background, e.g., when looking something up in a browser, I no longer hear any sound from the game.

Is it possible to enable sound even if the client is in the background?

This would be useful to hear PM notification sounds, the little sound if chat bubbles come up, the sound that you get attacked, etc., and it would often be nice to listen to the great music :)

That's weird. My sound keeps going and I didn't change anything, that's how I know when someone comes into the lobby while I'm programming.

But, I play in windowed mode, I think it's different if you play in full screen... I *think* though, we can fix this if I update the options.exe that has the focus sound option. I'll look into it.

Yes this works and you can change it through registry on your own if you know what you're doing

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SonicTeam\PSOBB]
"FOCUS_SOUND"=dword:00000001

Mylandra said:
Yes this works and you can change it through registry on your own if you know what you're doing

That worked, thank you!

I now noticed that this change is also part of the "install.reg" (which I didn't run initially).

For anyone else with this issue: Running "install.reg" (from the main folder) should enable the sound even if the client is in background.

Sodaboy said:
But, I play in windowed mode, I think it's different if you play in full screen...

FWIW, I'm playing in windowed mode, too. Anyway, it works now :)

If you're in full screen, you can't put PSO into the background, anyway. It will crash if it loses focus (unless somebody patched the Tethealla client to be a lot smarter?). IIRC the options menu has some kind of "global focus sound" option to control the registry entry that you're changing manually.

Aleron Ives said:
IIRC the options menu has some kind of "global focus sound" option to control the registry entry that you're changing manually.

I read this too in some old threads, but can't find it in my options.

Sound is either "ON" or "OFF", and under "Advanced" it says:

BGM: ON/OFF
SE: ON/OFF

Well.. the launcher options should have an advanced options in sound and video no? ... unless soda removed that exe. (Haven't downloaded this client)

I think my options.exe is an old one. :( I didn't remove anything. But the advanced on sound doesn't have that focus option on my options.exe I guess I need an updated one.

Global Focus Sound should be on for PSO so you can hear audio when window is inactive.

Back