If PSO were made to be truly a "hardcore" roguelike, what I'd like to see.

hooty

Guildcard
Guildcard 2
This is by no way a gripe or anything about HC, I don't even have time to play on this server anymore. Nor is this a suggestion to the staff it is just an open conversation.

I do enjoy roguelikes and had been thinking on how I would try to do a PSO roguelike. I just threw this together brainstorming on how I'd like to see it.

Open to all discussion maybe we can come up with some cool ideas.

PSO roguelike -

Cap on scape dolls limited to 1 only allowed in field inventory removed upon return to Pioneer 2.
Removal of section ID mechanic, instead a random ID dropset is chosen upon the start of every level.
No modal cross play.
No shared bank.
Death/session termination reduces character level to the nearest multiple of 10.
Death removes all untagged items from inventory, does not happen on session termination.
All experience removed from hunters guild quests.
Add hunters guild quest rewards guaranteed drops in the form of photon drops / leveled set items.
Increase PD sell price to 100k.
Create npc shop for tagging/flagging a set amount of items (somewhere between 5-10) to not be lost upon death, items tagged will have to be retagged after a death.
Create npc shop for improving weapons percents and grinds by use of PDs for any difficulty/weapon.
Add mechanic where percents on Force weapons boost techniques.
Add mechanic to where if a enemy attack damage were 100%+ of character health leaves 5% of health and 3s invulnerability (Megid would remove the invulnerability).
Increase DAR and RDR drop rates by 5x and 20x respectively.
Increase experience rates by 10x.

Last edited:
This is by no way a gripe or anything about HC, I don't even have time to play on this server anymore. Nor is this a suggestion to the staff it is just an open conversation.

I do enjoy roguelikes and had been thinking on how I would try to do a PSO roguelike. I just threw this together brainstorming on how I'd like to see it.

Open to all discussion maybe we can come up with some cool ideas.

PSO roguelike -

Cap on scape dolls limited to 1 only allowed in field inventory removed upon return to Pioneer 2.
Removal of section ID mechanic, instead a random ID dropset is chosen upon the start of every level.
No modal cross play.
No shared bank.
Death/session termination reduces character level by 10.
Death removes all untagged items from inventory, does not happen on session termination.
All experience removed from hunters guild quests.
Add hunters guild quest rewards guaranteed drops in the form of photon drops / leveled set items.
Increase PD sell price to 100k.
Create npc shop for tagging/flagging a set amount of items (somewhere between 5-10) to not be lost upon death, items tagged will have to be retagged after a death.
Create npc shop for improving weapons percents and grinds by use of PDs for any difficulty/weapon.
Add mechanic where percents on Force weapons boost techniques.
Add mechanic to where if a enemy attack damage were 100%+ of character health leaves 5% of health and 3s invulnerability (Megid would remove the invulnerability).
Increase DAR and RDR drop rates by 5x and 20x respectively.
Increase experience rates by 10x.
Dayum.... you put a lot of thought into this~! Props!

Dayum.... you put a lot of thought into this~! Props!

So the increases may seem extreme but it would need to be less grindy to allow for the loss mechanics. They could also be more severe. The focus would have to shift to the equipment being the main carry factor, with level 200 only being obtainable after a complete dungeon run before the final boss.

Adding in things like PD resale and quest rewards would help to increase the solo ability. Which ideally should be where the mechanics are focused on. As this is not standard PSO, and keeping it vanilla or allowing cross play doesn't help the roguelike aspect.

And another thing, upon quest completion it would need to load the game lobby again instead of the main lobby.

The experience should only be gained through "dungeon runs" and telepiping should be less common, ryuker removed. Only allowing a player to progress forward not return to Pioneer 2 at the end of a level set. If a player were to work backwards they should also find the enemies would respawn, but not bosses.

So the increases may seem extreme but it would need to be less grindy to allow for the loss mechanics. They could also be more severe. The focus would have to shift to the equipment being the main carry factor, with level 200 only being obtainable after a complete dungeon run before the final boss.

Adding in things like PD resale and quest rewards would help to increase the solo ability. Which ideally should be where the mechanics are focused on. As this is not standard PSO, and keeping it vanilla or allowing cross play doesn't help the roguelike aspect.

And another thing, upon quest completion it would need to load the game lobby again instead of the main lobby.
All are thoughtful points to consider, but in the end SOMEONE is going to have to sit down at their desk and tip tap away on their keyboards like crazy....they May not want to do that, luv. Just sayin~. =n.~=

All are thoughtful points to consider, but in the end SOMEONE is going to have to sit down at their desk and tip tap away on their keyboards like crazy....they May not want to do that, luv. Just sayin~. =n.~=
Like I said this isn't a plea. Just a discussion of what it would take.

I would eliminate scapedolls completely, it would be brutal, but in my experience in playing roguelikes, death is the end. If I could turn PSO into a roguelike I would also make it to where there would be more dangers than there currently are in the world too, maybe like having more dangerous enemies or having an enemy randomly spawn that is quite a bit stronger than the others.

I would eliminate scapedolls completely, it would be brutal, but in my experience in playing roguelikes, death is the end. If I could turn PSO into a roguelike I would also make it to where there would be more dangers than there currently are in the world too, maybe like having more dangerous enemies or having an enemy randomly spawn that is quite a bit stronger than the others.

I think that scapedolls and moons should be allowed because there are fantasy roguelikes that allow these, it really depends on the structure of how progression is set. There should still be some kind of penalties for moons in my opinion like a character loosing all on hand meseta/pd or even weapon percentage loss kind of like mag synchro. Alot of my structure comes from my favorite roguelike mystery dungeon series, the one of the first original roguelikes, Shiren the Wanderer.

I do like the idea of the random super enemy, maybe rare enemies should be as such, like a mini boss.

In wizard of legends if a team member is dead they float around like a ghost until a teammate collects enough orbs from slain monsters to be able to revive the person. Maybe a killcount timer on a dead player before another player activating a moon atomizer.

Unless if a scape is used it should not be easy to revive during a boss battle.

Oh and scaled enemies based on the avg player level should definitely be a thing. Not just the difficulty mode general mob stats.

So while in hard the range is 20-40 if a lvl 20 and a lvl 40+ were in game the mobs would scale to the average of their levels.

Back