"High stress" gameplay and solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow...tell me how you really feel. We don't need this kind of attitude on Ephinea. I'm here trying to promote different ways to play the game and you come in here with your passive-aggressive bullshit basically saying anyone who doesn't play the game like you is bad at the game. It's very clear that you're trying to be mean.
I took your side more than anything, I think that anyone playing on Ephinea should be comfortable with being healed if they are using Dark Flow. No reason to be up in arms about it like people apparently are. I am not being passive aggressive. It's really straight forward. A run can be smooth, but slow which is what most people on Ephinea/Ultima/GC consider to be "high level" play. There's a difference. Many people have a different view of what a "good" run looks like and that is why I say the whole idea should just drop dead. Slow doesn't mean bad. I probably couldn't play like you if I tried and vise versa. That doesn't make either of us bad or good. I am not particularly trying to be mean, but rather explain why people shouldn't get caught up on the idea of a good run.

I took your side more than anything, I think that anyone playing on Ephinea should be comfortable with being healed if they are using Dark Flow. No reason to be up in arms about it like people apparently are. I am not being passive aggressive. It's really straight forward. A run can be smooth, but slow which is what most people on Ephinea/Ultima/GC consider to be "high level" play. There's a difference. Many people have a different view of what a "good" run looks like and that is why I say the whole idea should just drop dead. Slow doesn't mean bad. I probably couldn't play like you if I tried and vise versa. That doesn't make either of us bad or good. I am not particularly trying to be mean, but rather explain why people shouldn't get caught up on the idea of a good run.

You are very obviously NOT trying to make that point. You're making passive aggressive digs at people who play this game to relax and don't treat it as a job.

Do you want to know why I don't want stress when I play PSO?

My first interaction today with a customer was the one I already mentioned: She was upset that she only made $283,000.00 on her investment so far this year. I had to spend an hour going over stuff so she could see it was good.

My next interaction was a meeting with multiple managers to go over my semi-annual performance, which was very good. But it's still VERY stressful.

My next interaction with that was another $250,000.00 account holder who needed help getting some money out of an old retirement plan and was as disagreeable and difficult with every question I asked (elderly folks can be very discriminatory to younger people trying to help them with money and often don't listen), not understanding that I am REQUIRED to gather information before I can make a recommendation. I have to call her later because she was too busy to finish the phone call.

Now I'm trying to quickly eat my lunch so I can get back on the phone and get pummeled by millionaires with first world problems.

I do not want more stress than this. I do not want to play a video game like it's a job. I don't care if I'm not the best.

What causes me a tremendous amount of stress in games is when someone who is very good at the game (but probably very deficient in other areas of life) is a CONDESCENDING PRICK to me because I just want to play and enjoy a game.

dude no one cares about how much money your clients make or don't make it is super gauche and strange to bring that stuff in here. Please go take care of yourself man this stuff really isn't the community's issue. games are supposed to be fun.

You know what's funny? When a FO is in a game with 3 rangers and they (the FO) don't use resta.

Why don't they?

Because of this cult of "no resta plz".

I'll be honest, as cast it's irritating as hell when FO doesn't heal. Like, even when the HU is not in resta range.

I think FO's should be a little more aware that if they're not using resta on the party because of the HU then they should STILL use it (by which I mean spam it) if said HU is not in range.
And to eleborate further, I mean the said FO should specifically try to put themselves in range for healing the members who need it.
Example: MA4C... HU enter the teleporter in crater... FO stays back and heals the others before proceding.

Too many lazy FO's focusing on not healing ANYBODY, just because the HU don't want it.

Reactions: Ade
dude no one cares about how much money your clients make or don't make it is super gauche and strange to bring that stuff in here. Please go take care of yourself man this stuff really isn't the community's issue. games are supposed to be fun.

I was just giving an example of why some people don't try to be MLG gamers. And I wanted to spell it out very clearly. You always bring all your psychology into conversations so I don't see how this is any different.

I was just trying to convey that I have a lot of stress in my life already. I don't play PSO to be MLG Pro. When people try to belittle me by saying I'm "slow" at the game, like I'm some sort of unintelligent or inept person, it pisses me off. I spend 8+ hours a day in a highly competitive environment and I DON'T WANT THAT in my game time. And it used to be okay but now these "competitive" tactics are spilling over into casual play, which is making it worse.

If someone has this much fortitude to be SO competitive in a video game to the point where they belittle others for not doing so (Wilson), perhaps they need to take on some additional challenges.

Last edited:
I was just giving an example of why some people don't try to be MLG gamers. And I wanted to spell it out very clearly. You always bring all your psychology into conversations so I don't see how this is any different.

I was just trying to convey that I have a lot of stress in my life already. I don't play PSO to be MLG Pro. When people try to belittle me by saying I'm "slow" at the game, like I'm some sort of unintelligent or inept person, it pisses me off. I spend 8+ hours a day in a highly competitive environment and I DON'T WANT THAT in my game time. And it used to be okay but now these "competitive" tactics are spilling over into casual play, which is making it worse.
If you want to avoid stress while gaming it's probably best to not play an online game. When you play online your "game time" is intertwined with other people's so of course you won't get your way all the time. To think you will is very selfish.

PGF and Red Ring both dropped on JP PSO as seen below
I'm well aware of that, but I love how you assume that means it was a good thing.

Did you ever consider that after adding them to JP they realised how much it broke the game and that's why we didn't get it in the west?

Who is to say JP is the definitive "vanilla"?

Last edited:

If someone has this much fortitude to be SO competitive in a video game to the point where they belittle others for not doing so (Wilson), perhaps they need to take on some additional challenges.
Again I already said slow is not bad. That's your interpretations. I would never put my expectations of game play on people not playing for the same purpose. You're the one interpreting TAers as MLG Pro. I am not good at this game in other fashion besides pure time attack. I can't feed a mag, level a character, or hunt items. I am not belittling you either. I am telling you that you should play how you want and disregard whatever BS people are trying to rage about. I play this game and pursue my degree at the same time. It's a fine balance. You probably spend more hours than me playing.

If you want to avoid stress while gaming it's probably best to not play an online game. When you play online your "game time" is intertwined with other people's so of course you won't get your way all the time. To think you will is very selfish.

That's actually a very fair point.

probably "no heal" 70 percent of the time now
This is not only untrue, it's not even close to true. I'd say the marker, in pubs, falls somewhere in the 15-20% range. I have absolutely no goddamn idea where you're coming up with this figure.

GMS made it pretty clear the no resta unit/command isn't going to happen.
Did we? Last I checked, it's still a thing we want to do, but it's difficult to implement and time-consuming. I still think it's an awesome idea, and AFAIK, none of the staff have ever said "yeah, we're not doing this" in private discussions.

I can't believe I'm agreeing with Wilson, but broken clocks are right twice a day, I guess - there's ground to be given on both "sides" of the debate here. Anyone who "religiously" uses DF should expect to be healed, either accidentally or intentionally, whether those healers are clueless, just trying to help, or being intentionally obtuse. Anyone who plays a healing class should, at the very least, take into account people requesting not to be healed - if the whole party's HP is low, though, and a DF user gets angry that they happen to be in range, that's on them. Like Wilson, my argument falls squarely on the casual side. It's cool to use DF, but the game isn't built around it.

That said...

Ade, you're making yourself look like a fool here. It's all well and good that you want to have a discussion on what's obviously been a sore subject to you for a long, long time, but you've spent the thread exaggerating claims, bringing up your totally cool accounting job for some reason, and refusing to acknowledge that some of the people in this thread are agreeing with you. It's all well and good to not want DF users to destroy the game or reduce it to a single-item meta - I wouldn't want that either! - but spending your allegedly good-faith thread making things up and attacking arguments that people aren't making isn't helping you out. Any good DF user will happily tell you there are plenty of situations where something like a Berserk Raygun or L&K38 is a better pick than DF.

Also, I'm godawful at this game and have to burn mates all the time. I still manage to have like 25 million Meseta in my bank, and that goes up all the time, not down, even though I regularly buy stacks of mates. Get over it, man.

I really don't know of a single run where a 4x RAct team can outperform a 4x HUct team
upload_2020-7-23_17-6-23.png

I'm well aware of that, but I love how you assume that means it was a good thing.

Did you ever consider that after adding them to JP they realised how much it broke the game and that's why we didn't get it in the west?

Who is to say JP is the definitive "vanilla"?
Who is to say what's balanced? What's a good thing or not? What's broken? It's purely subjective, not sure where you're trying to go with such biased arguments.
Also FO not healing you doesn't mean they're lazy. They can contribute in many more effective ways to the party. ^^

Who is to say what's balanced? What's a good thing or not? What's broken? It's purely subjective
Yes... That was exactly my point. Thank you for reiterating.

Zen said:
Also FO not healing you doesn't mean they're lazy. They can contribute in many more effective ways to the party. ^^
No, FO's ignoring people who need resta because 1 HU said "no resta plz" is basically lazy. Or just bad FO-ing at best.

Again I already said slow is not bad. That's your interpretations. I would never put my expectations of game play on people not playing for the same purpose. You're the one interpreting TAers as MLG Pro. I am not good at this game in other fashion besides pure time attack. I can't feed a mag, level a character, or hunt items. I am not belittling you either. I am telling you that you should play how you want and disregard whatever BS people are trying to rage about. I play this game and pursue my degree at the same time. It's a fine balance. You probably spend more hours than me playing.

I did sorta fly off the handle, Wilson, and I'm sorry, but you really could soften your approach a bit. People get insulted when you say "anything that isn't the fastest is slow."

I am very glad you agreed with me on some things.

The fast / slow thing is technically true if we're looking at it in relation to the fastest time. Yes: every other time is slow.

But that's not how it's taken when you say it.

I'm not sure what you're studying but you're obviously very intelligent. Just be careful with delivery. You don't have to be phony or super sweet, but taking a Ricky Bobby "If you're not first, you're last" approach is a very negative way to view gaming.

No, FO's ignoring people who need resta because 1 HU said "no resta plz" is basically lazy. Or just bad FO-ing at best.

You have much to learn my friend. I almost never heal on my forces. Yet I tear up and I'm sure most would consider me a pretty good fo. We are all big boys here. We can all manage our own hp. Why would I waste time healing when I could be contributing to the game, not to mention risking getting in the way of people's invincibility triggers by healing them. Forces can do so much more in the game episodes, and the belief they can't is just naivety.

Edit: play as you wish :)

FOs don't have to play the way you want them to. Buy some mates and stop expecting others to fit what you think they should be doing. Easy enough.

FOs don't have to play the way you want them to. Buy some mates and stop expecting others to fit what you think they should be doing. Easy enough.
Yeah. Ok.

So you'd never be annoyed if you were playing a HUcast and the RA in the party couldn't be bothered to lock vol opt, or sneedle the dorphons etc.

I'm sure you wouldn't care if you were playing FO and the RA/HU kept hiding behind you to use you as a shield.

The point is EVERY CLASS HAS A SPECIFIC ROLE.

FO = Healers.
HU = Attackers
RA = Utility.

FO's using resta on party members who need it is one of their primary roles.

Yeah. Ok.
So you'd never be annoyed if you were playing a HUcast and the RA in the party couldn't be bothered to lock vol opt, or sneedle the dorphons etc.

I'm sure you wouldn't care if you were playing FO and the RA/HU kept hiding behind you to use you as a shield.

I certainly wouldn't mind. For vol opt i'd focus pillars if nobody is locking. For dorphons I'd use arrest j-cutter if the ra isn't using an arrest needle or sneedle. If i'm taking hits for my primary damage dealers as a FO so they can have better positioning for themselves, I would feel fulfilled with my role.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back