Episode 4 Drop Tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Guildcard
UPDATE: This has been done, please go here: https://www.pioneer2.net/community/threads/episode-4-drop-table-update.2384/

Hi guys.

Lately we've been discussing the Episode 4 Drop Tables and come to the conclusion that they should change. While this server aims to offer an experience close to Vanilla PSO, the current table has a few issues:
  • Nobody knows this table because not many people played JPBB, so it's not nostalgic like "hunting Spread Needles from Merlans like I did on SEGA".
  • Far too much focus on the boss enemies.
  • Heavily skewed towards one or two IDs, with certain IDs being very weak.
  • Other minor issues
This leaves the game with a somewhat less than favourable progression line, that being rush to 80, get some levels, then spam Point of Disaster until your brain shuts down. (A very gross generalisation, but I'm sure you get the point)

We'd like to suggest a complete change to the Episode 4 Drop Tables, making Episode 4 more varied and promote playing quests that have enemies other than snakes and birds on all IDs. The table would aim to:
  • Severely reduce the focus on the 3 snake bosses.
  • Balance the IDs so certain ones do not suck (Greenill...)
  • Add some more memorable drops, such as the Skyly Dorphon Lame (this is not guaranteed, but an example)
  • Other small tweaks
Examples of some changes would be making Heaven Striker, Lame D'argent and Daylight Scar drop from enemies rather than the bosses, spreading some of the drops to other IDs (such as Yunchang) and removing all Kondrieu specific drops.

For Kondrieu, our plan is as follows (note that these are just example drops, not final):

422d7272d4.png

Kondrieu will serve as a rare drop boost to Saint Million's drops, but also an option to hunt Saint's drops in Point of Disaster. The rates will look something like (again, not final numbers):

Saint Million Drop: 1/32
Kondrieu Drop: 1/6

This makes hunting Saint Million the preferred choice, and if you run into Kondrieu while hunting Saint Million, you are 5x more likely to get the item you are hunting for from that kill. However, if spamming Point of Disaster, the overall drop rate is reduced, but still a possible hunt if you'd rather do Point of Disaster over a Desert run or quest with Saint Million.

The point of these overhauls is make the IDs more balanced and Episode 4 more varied than MA4B and PoD (while you might play other stuff, this is like 90% of all Episode 4 games). We'd hope they make the game more enjoyable for everyone.

Please note that there probably will be a free SID change for everyone for a limited time as a result of these tables, as they are rather drastic.

Last edited:
All for the mix-up personally - even if the result is some items end up being generally more rare, a balancing of drops across various IDs just makes sense.

Honestly, I love this idea. Atm you can get by with one (maybe two) IDs to get nearly all the top-tier drops you could want from EP4.

Personally I would prefer Ephinea to stay true to Sega's table.
I'll wait to see what tables you guys come up with.

Reactions: NDW
To the point of the person who said they would prefer the drop tables to stay Sega's way: Sega did rebalance the Ep4 drops from time to time, so I guess it would still be "vanilla" to do reasonable rebalances? Just a thought...

shouldnt there be a poll? just to check public opinion. personally i just wouldnt want to changed anything more than necessary about segas design but i understand a differing mass opinion. on top of that, overall rarity should be maintained. there should be a poll (not ultimately to decide, but to be considered) as to what drops should be where.

i fear that this might only be the beginning of more to come. but as doubtful as i am, i would like to see it succeed.

Last edited:
Personally I would prefer Ephinea to stay true to Sega's table.
I'll wait to see what tables you guys come up with.
lol........................................

I believe this is a good change and it will result in people playing a variety of different quests. Ty Matt I was really starting to hate fucking PoD lol.

Last edited:
another note, let it not be forgotten that SIDs have their own weapon specialty (viridia shots, oran daggers). this should definitely be incorporated into the new drop tables if possible.

I know of a very specific individual who is helping with this, and that person is VERY committed to game balance and game theory. Rest assured, this is in excellent hands.

I'd be down for some changes, just don't be ridiculous rofl. I already cant find lames/hs even at the current rate.

Reactions: NDW
That is because hunting bosses is soul crushing, rather than the rates being bad (in fact, they are quite easy, time-wise it doesn't take very long to get them, but nobody likes to just hunt PoD all day).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back